Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 10:05   #16

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: 2 anchors or just 1 ready to go?

My instinct is your primary anchor should be sized for your boat and the worst conditions you would ever anchor in. I have a 33kg Vulcan on my 40ft boat which is good for seriously ***** weather. My thinking is I don't want to be buggering about trying to set a second anchor in a storm. I use a long snubber to control the yawing on anchor so that's less of an issue.

That said I have my original 16kg Delta in the locker with some chain and 50m of rode I can quickly tie on and drop if I ever need an emergency anchor and have considered both the Fortress and Mantus as a secondary.

At the end of the day there's no right or wrong in this. It's your boat and you have to do what you feel is best for the safety of the boat and your crew.
To quote from The Abyss "I'm the pusher on this rig. When it comes to the safety of my crew there's me and then God".

I would say the new gen anchors are an order of magnitude better than their counterparts previously. My Vulcan buries itself in under a meter and heads towards Australia with 1500rpm in reverse on it. I've seen Delta's plough for furlongs and still be sat on the surface. And don't start on upside down CQRs. But again it's what you feel is best for your boat and your cruising area.

Just my two pennies worth
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:11   #17

A "ready to go" Fortress saved my 47 foot boat in a 70 mph wind squall while anchored just as the rudder was starting to tap the bottom toward the beach. . If you dont have double anchors on the bow, have one rigged and ready. I stored this Fortress on a bracket on the pulpit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:12   #18

Boat: Baltic 51

I am 57 and have been cruising since childhood at age 4. Now on my 3rd keel boat. Never had to use the backup anchor. Always had 1 anchor (if racing) or 2-3 (if cruising) aboard. IF you make sure your primary is all set to go and inspect things frequently, not likely an issue. Maker sure your secondary is ready. Doesn't really matter where it is stored. I prefer to keep the weight off the bow.
gnackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:59   #19

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Boat is a 51 ft gulfstar- main anchor is an 85lb mantus on 3/8" BBB chain-- i am reworking my bow pulpit and it will be difficult to fit my secondary anchor - 66lb lewmar claw on the bow. How important do cruisers feel that 2nd anchor being out there on the bow is? i can easily run the second rode and have it all ready to go and not keep the anchor up there. i was actually thinking of doing that and having the secondary anchor be the huge aluminum fortress that i keep on a rack at the stern or even possibly purchasing another aluminum fortress. if I did either i am thinking to get rid of the lewmar entirely- would appreciate feedback on how necessary having a second ready to go on the bow would be to a cruiser-- intended cruising area is the carib.
Lose the Lewmar. Keep the Fortress astern. Keep a second Fortress at the ready somewhere forward. This second Fortress doesn't have to be huge, just whatever the recommendation is from Fortress. The secondary anchor is NOT for everyday use, that's the Mantus' job. The secondary anchor is for fast deployment when for whatever reason it is not possible to use the primary anchor. You should be able to pick up the secondary anchor and deploy it easily and immediately. Which on our boat means the 2nd anchor is assembled (we also use a Fortress) and attached to a chain and rode.

In the Bahamas, anchoring just at sunset with our 55#Rocna, in shallow water with the wind blowing, the swivel attaching the chain to the anchor broke. Now we're being blown toward the reef with no anchor. We got the primary chain up, repositioned the boat, reached in the forward nacelle locker, pulled out the Fortress with one hand and tossed it off the bow. There was a little more excitement than I am relating here but the end result was quick, easy deployment of emergency ground tackle. Once we were secure I dug our 45# Delta out of it's storage space, attached the primary chain rode to it and ran it off the anchor roller attached to the bridle. Next morning we pulled up both anchors and returned to find and retrieve the Rocna.

The point is, a secondary "quick deploy" anchor is IMO an essential piece of emergency gear. Just like your life raft you may never use it. But IF the fecal matter makes contact with the fan you will be very grateful to have one.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:03   #20

Boat: Cal-40

Best take two, myself I have three.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 15:06   #21

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Malbert, Just to clarify, the tandem anchor technique that I tested was substantially different from the technique described by Jolly Rodger. In my test, the "secondary" anchor was attached to the rear part of the primary anchor itself, whereas Jolly Rodger's technique has the secondary anchor attached to the main RODE roughly half way between primary anchor and the boat.

Steve

Aha- thanks for clarifying! Do I smell another test protocol? [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 16:51   #22

Boat: O'Day 34

JR
Nice link. I’ll have to try it instead of our Bahamian mooring
Bill in JB
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 17:15   #23

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Anchor weight is an important factor in holding. I would not have an aliminium anchor aboard. I have rescued boats that had them, shaft bent badly and anchor refusing to set. Vessel ashore and tide going out--not a great siti uation to be in.

We secured it bow and stern and dragged it sideways off the sandbar--trailing its keel.

When owner was found--looked at anchor and said--"Oh--Fine--I will get it straightened."

Ok--next please--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:35   #24

Keep the Lewmar on the bow, bent to a chain rode and ready to deploy at a moments notice. Even the best anchor can fail to set or suddenly seem to come "unset" under some circumstances. An example would be the anchor landing on a large plastic bag. In twenty-two years of world cruising, I have only had to set my second bow anchor twice. But in both cases the second hook saved my boat and the primary anchor was found to be fouled on bottom debris. Every time you are temped to do something to save money or labor or time, remember: 'You bet your boat'
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 19:16   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We carry one anchor on the bow (a small one at that, a 44lb Bruce).

Below deck (forward) we have a Fortress 37lb and a Bruce 66lb, easily accessible, however they are not attached to any of the rodes.

The 44lb Bruce has been flawless for en entire 18yr circumnavigation. We have never needed to set either the Fortress 37 spare anchor or the 66lb Bruce "storm" anchor because of dragging or incident.

We have, however, changed from the 44lb to the 66lb when stormy conditions and waves made us worry about the smaller anchor. In that case we have hauled the 44lb anchor and shackled the 66lb on instead and reset.

I would not want to carry the extra weight on the bow when it is so seldom needed.
Old 12-05-2021, 00:02   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Anchor weight is an important factor in holding. I would not have an aliminium anchor aboard. I have rescued boats that had them, shaft bent badly and anchor refusing to set. Vessel ashore and tide going out--not a great siti uation to be in.

We secured it bow and stern and dragged it sideways off the sandbar--trailing its keel.

When owner was found--looked at anchor and said--"Oh--Fine--I will get it straightened."

Ok--next please--
weight do not affect holding, also color
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 00:33   #27

I had CQR and a large Fortress with rope and chain which I tied to the deck railng in a canvas bag. If bad weather was forecast I put out both anchors at a 45 degree angle.
parachute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:19   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post

Ok--next please--
Mike, the aluminum anchors we're talking about here are the Fortress ones--they have the best holding power per pound, due to their design. While they have their limitations (poor performance with a more than 90 degree swing), and no one recommends them for a primary, nevertheless they are awesome as kedges and as storm anchors. I set mine to take the major load in predicted gales, with the bower set to limit rotation.
Read about them--they're amazing.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:32   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I will concur with others who have said that they don't feel the need for a second bower anchor. If you have ROOM for a second bower anchor, then your primary anchor is too small!

A Fortress makes an ideal emergency/kedge anchor, and a rack on the pushpit is a perfect place for it Always ready and close to hand. I think the OP can call it good with that.

I do keep a spare bower anchor but I keep it disassembled in the bilge.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:36   #30

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I just carry a single large bower, then a Fortress stowed in the forward bilge storage. The Fortress is strapped to a large milk crate containing the rode for it, so to use it, I just have to release the straps holding the crate down, pick the whole thing up and carry it on deck, then release the straps holding the anchor. I don't necessarily see a need to have a second anchor on deck and ready to go at a second's notice, nor do I have a good way to handle the rode for one on deck all the time.

I do keep debating whether to get a larger Fortress to keep on board (likely disassembled), as the G-23 I've got is a bit on the small side for this boat (came with the boat). It's fine as a stern anchor or a backup in half-decent weather, but it's not going to keep up with my primary (73lb Vulcan) in bad weather. A size or 2 up on the Fortress would probably be good for that.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor