Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 14:31   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
2 anchors or just 1 ready to go?

Boat is a 51 ft gulfstar- main anchor is an 85lb mantus on 3/8" BBB chain-- i am reworking my bow pulpit and it will be difficult to fit my secondary anchor - 66lb lewmar claw on the bow. How important do cruisers feel that 2nd anchor being out there on the bow is? i can easily run the second rode and have it all ready to go and not keep the anchor up there. i was actually thinking of doing that and having the secondary anchor be the huge aluminum fortress that i keep on a rack at the stern or even possibly purchasing another aluminum fortress. if I did either i am thinking to get rid of the lewmar entirely- would appreciate feedback on how necessary having a second ready to go on the bow would be to a cruiser-- intended cruising area is the carib. lets not let this degenerate into a anchor choice thread -- the mantus is there to stay- a fortress on the stern is there to stay. only question is the need for the 2nd on the bow and if so advice on that anchor as to type. thanks in advance!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:46   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: 2 anchors or just 1 ready to go?

My backup anchor has never gotten wet and is disassembled and stowed as i could only have a small second second on the bow, too small for my boar.. So i have not in the second anchor on bow crowd. But you can not really argue anganist if it fits.
Old 10-05-2021, 14:56   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

On my 42’ Tayana I have a 53lb Ronca on the bow. As back ups I have a 44lb Bruce and a 35lb Danforth stowed and ready to use with chain and rope on the stern pulpit. I’ve never needed the Bruce but have used the Danforth as a stern anchor on a few occasions.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:57   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Back before I switched to the Rocna I always carried two anchors on the bow, ready for deployment. I used a CQR and a Danforth to cover the range of bottoms I anchored in.

The Rocna (and I believe all 'new-gen' anchors like Mantus) are effective in almost the same range as this dual combination. So I've abandoned having the second anchor on the bow. No need.

I still carry a Danforth as a secondary/backup anchor, along with a Bruce as a kedge/stern anchor, and a large Fortress for storm conditions. But neither the Danforth or the Fortress have seen any action in the near decade I've owned the Rocna.
Old 10-05-2021, 15:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

SUPER - this is exactly the kind of response i was hoping for!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:30   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've only lost (had to cut away) an anchor once [got irretrievably fouled on a tree snag, anchored in a river, learned "don't anchor on the outside of river bends where floods drop dead trees"]. Our "spare" anchor is a plow type, and we were glad to have and use it. However, although we didn't drag with it, Jim did not feel comfortable--couldn't trust it, wasn't interested to learn to or try to learn to, so we wound up on a mooring for 3 weeks while waiting for a new Manson Supreme to arrive. So, whatever you carry for a spare, you should be able to trust it for your bower anchor, if needs be.

What you are missing, is a rock pick (if you are going to go to rocky places). Which is useful, but a pita anchor, imo, will have to be very heavy for a boat your size.

Again, imho, what you'll want will depend on where you want to go to, bearing in mind that bizzare stuff happens with anchoring. We have dropped our anchor in the following odd fouling items: an abandoned kitchen sink; a pair of board shorts; a sweatshirt; a towel; a coil of heavy wire cable;a fiber-optic cable; and our Bruce picked up a 4 ft piece of coral rubble in its hand. Now, we've spent more nights at anchor than most people, so you should not expect our sort of "treasure trove", but do be aware, if you choose a Bruce for your spare anchor, it has the failure mode of picking up a rock that fits its "hand", and then not being able to set. Aware of it, if it drags while you're trying to set it, pull it up and see what it grabbed. It is good to not chuck the item back in the pond, but take it via dinghy too close to shore to foul folks' anchors...sometimes hard to remember at the time!

We have an ancient 20 lb. Danforth HT, that we use sort of like you use your Fortress. So far it has never failed us.

Our boat displaces ~12 tonnes, and the bower anchor is a 60 lb. Manson Supreme, which might sound like overkill, but I saw Jim eyeing an 80 lb one, just the other day!

Ann
Old 10-05-2021, 15:37   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I've had my anchor irretrievably stuck, and had to cut free, I always have a spare stowed somewhere with enough heavy line, and a length of chain for a backup.

I've never had to drop a second anchor to prevent swinging yet, but I've seriously considered it a few times.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 17:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

I've had two anchors ready to go on the bow for 10 years, a Spade, and a Claw. I've used the backup twice in that time. First time the anchor dragged, Spade, and fouled someone else's anchor. Had to cut it loose and set the secondary. We weren't on the boat, and our very helpful neighbors were able to do this relatively easily. Second time we were in a spot with reversing current and switchy winds. The chain managed to wrap itself around the shank and pull out the Spade. We were below and didn't notice until the anchor alarm went off, within feet of a shallow sand bank. We got the engine started, lifted the anchor, but were absolutely unble to get the anchor and chain on board, or unwrapped. We set the secondary and got in the dink to unwrap the mess.

So, did I need the secondary? Sort of. Could I have gotten by without it, yes. Was having the secondary convient and fast, yes. If I didn't have a ready secondary, would I feel unsafe, no.

Now I carry 2 Spades ready on the bow, mostly because they already fit.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 17:58   #9

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Take a look at my article published in Good Old Boat magazine in 2017. A method of using two anchors.
A drag proof method of anchoring
JR.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I do not keep a second anchor on the bow. Never needed it that quick; don't care for the weight and clutter.
You can't do better than to have a Fortress stowed somewhere ready to attach to a rode; if you can afford two Fortresses, why not?
The claw is just dead and useless weight. You'll find you choose the Fortress every time you want a second hook.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:19   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Take a look at my article published in Good Old Boat magazine in 2017. A method of using two anchors.

A drag proof method of anchoring

JR.

Interesting. No doubt it works for you. Some testing (I believe Panope) has disproven benefits of tandem anchoring techniques (and shown that in some cases can be a liability) and hence my opinion is that a single modern primary of larger size will outperform two smaller “old gen” anchors in a broad set of conditions.

A new Mantus (eg) can be had for 400-600 which is a fraction of most annual boat budgets. Of all the equipment to upgrade anchor upgrades seem at top of any list I could imagine.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:08   #12

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Interesting. No doubt it works for you. Some testing (I believe Panope) has disproven benefits of tandem anchoring techniques (and shown that in some cases can be a liability).............
Malbert, Just to clarify, the tandem anchor technique that I tested was substantially different from the technique described by Jolly Rodger. In my test, the "secondary" anchor was attached to the rear part of the primary anchor itself, whereas Jolly Rodger's technique has the secondary anchor attached to the main RODE roughly half way between primary anchor and the boat.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:59   #13

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Rocna on the bow, and a stern anchor mounted on the stern rail and hooked to a rode, ready to deploy.

The stern anchor is close, easy to drop as a brake, and being on the stern can’t be tangled or compromised by something messed up going on on the bow.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11   #14

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

I like the idea of the Fortress on the stern (I suppose it could always be dropped from there for an emergency if the bow anchor had a problem). My Fortress is in the bow locker, used for hurricane anchoring only, and is disassembled, along with my backup oversized Delta. On the bow is my primary anchor, a Rocna on 3/8 G4. I do carry a spare snubber in the anchor locker, along with the rope/chain/shackle for the Delta.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:15   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Boat is a 51 ft gulfstar- main anchor is an 85lb mantus on 3/8" BBB chain-- i am reworking my bow pulpit and it will be difficult to fit my secondary anchor - 66lb lewmar claw on the bow. How important do cruisers feel that 2nd anchor being out there on the bow is? i can easily run the second rode and have it all ready to go and not keep the anchor up there. i was actually thinking of doing that and having the secondary anchor be the huge aluminum fortress that i keep on a rack at the stern or even possibly purchasing another aluminum fortress. if I did either i am thinking to get rid of the lewmar entirely- would appreciate feedback on how necessary having a second ready to go on the bow would be to a cruiser-- intended cruising area is the carib. lets not let this degenerate into a anchor choice thread -- the mantus is there to stay- a fortress on the stern is there to stay. only question is the need for the 2nd on the bow and if so advice on that anchor as to type. thanks in advance!
My setup might be helpful to you- I have two anchors on the stern of our center cockpit ketch-

- Fortress FX37 mounted on the rail attached to the secondary rode that goes through the second bow roller. This is for emergencies such as losing power close to lee shore or dragging in a gale to support the primary bower. Can be deployed quickly from the stern then adjustments made after it's in the water. The rode is run to the stern and attached to the toerail with small, easy to break zip ties.

- Delta also mounted on the stern rail (opposite side as above) attached to rode stored in a rode bag and cleated on a stern cleat. This is for the rare occasions I need a stern anchor and for drudging.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor