Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 08:56   #16

Re: Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke: Enduro or Leisure

Any way of getting a 15 E or L here in the states, you would think someone would be bringing them in and reselling them and making a few bucks?
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 09:30   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Mike-
Thank you very much for the great reply. I now feel like I can make an informed decision even though I still haven't decided which outboard to ultimately buy. Since I'm kind of hard on things, I'm leaning towards the Enduro but I think my wife could handle the L model easier.

By the way, you've got a great blog and I really like your boat. My best wishes to your family and you.

Bakgat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Hey, Moenie kak praat nie! Thanks for your kind words. I am very happy with the L model. I help a lot of people with both models. The L is easier to start out of the box, but this can change over time. The gearshift is closer to the tiller arm on the L.

All of these models will suffer fuel enrichment over time as the idle jet is eroded away. A good idea to keep one in stock. Usual jet life on 3rd world fuel is about 3 years.

The L 15 and E 15 are the same basic engine otherwise, its not a de-tuned 20hp. The 9.9 and 13.5 are also the same engine except for the reed valves.
Old 27-08-2014, 09:43   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm a Tohatsu guy, but I helped a friend work on his Enduro, and was impressed with how easy it was to work on. The Enduro hadn't been run in a year and the carb float was stuck to the bottom of the bowl. It only a few minutes and I think only a screwdriver to get to the problem and solve it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 14:02   #19

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Any way of getting a 15 E or L here in the states, you would think someone would be bringing them in and reselling them and making a few bucks?
2 strokes, with some exceptions, can no longer be sold in the USA. So just sail over to the bahamas and buy one. No problem bringing it back.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 07:34   #20

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit

A fellow cruiser brought his Enduro to the U.S. and used it there & could never find parts for it. Carb inlet needle was totally different than "leisure" models, and he still can't locate fuel pump dia's (they were a different cut). Even the local Yammie dealers couldn't help.
Not being able to find parts is a factor.
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 13:20   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vAngel View Post
A fellow cruiser brought his Enduro to the U.S. and used it there & could never find parts for it. Carb inlet needle was totally different than "leisure" models, and he still can't locate fuel pump dia's (they were a different cut). Even the local Yammie dealers couldn't help.
Not being able to find parts is a factor.
That's the one knock on the Enduro. Usually US Yamaha dealers will not service them.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44   #22
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

which should only bother those that cruise around the coasts of the US. The rest of the world is quite happy with 2 strokes and there's no shortage of parts if you start thinking outside the box. Order your parts from Mexico. Or a hundred other places. They're not made in the USA, you know.