Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 12:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

When Staying in One Place for Awhile

Do you just tie...or chain the dinghy to a rail/cleat?

Or do you pull it up on the davits every night?

Why?

I'd assume to prevent theft, but I'd think on the davits or not, the chain is what's really going to prevent that.

The only other reason to pull I can think of is bottom grow, but if it's being run a lot, and you scrub it every no and then, is that really going to be an issue?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:00   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
The more ways you can secure your dinghy the better. The Caribbean and some of South America, the thieves come equipped with big heavy bolt cutters, there's nothing easier to steal than a dinghy afloat behind the boat. One snip and they tow it away, swimming on to the next target. Don't make it easy for them, on the davits it's more of a hassle and more likely the thieves will be discovered.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:03   #3

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
depends on place . . .
Old 30-08-2010, 13:06   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Most of the time I leave the dink in the water, with a line and a section of wire lifeline made fast to the boat. The painter and the wire lifeline are attached to different points on the dink. When in harbours where theft is common like Miami and Nassau I haul the dink up on the arch every night. I also haul the dink if a front is about to come through.
Old 30-08-2010, 13:13   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I haul the dink up on the davits most nights, for security, and I don't like to hear the waves slapping against it. If I'm in a really calm harbor I've left it in the water, with the cable locking it. I also like having it up so when the sudden fronts come through the rain can drain out, and I'm not out in the downpour bailing the dink. Of course, gotta get used to putting the plug in before lowering it!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:14   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Get the dink out of the water. Even if it means on the halyard alongside the beam.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:18   #7

If you're using it every day leave it in the water. Caveats:

- High theft area. You'll use a chain at a dock then anyway, so chain it to your boat as well. Lock the outboard on nice and tight.

- *Lots* of rain, like 20" a day kind of rain. Unless you're a glutton for punishment you won't be using the dinghy that day anyway so keeping it up on a halyard or on deck is nice.

I keep mine flipped up on top of the cabin top if not in use to minimize growth, and as a side benefit it covers the notoriously leaky butterfly hatch.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:43   #8

Out of the water at the end of each day. I also have a security cable and lock the motor, dinghy and boat together.

Then, I scatter broken glass and sharpened toy jacks on the deck, and annoy the dog. Just in case
Old 30-08-2010, 14:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Locking to prevent theft seems wise, but even when we are in the most secure area, we lift our dinghy upon our davits every third day to prevent any collection of bottom growth. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:50   #10

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
99% of the time I raise on davits as its a very simple process and offers a little exercise. In addition I padlock it and two OMs to stanchion.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 15:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
Then, I scatter broken glass and sharpened toy jacks on the deck, and annoy the dog. Just in case
So your dink isn't an inflatable, right?
Old 30-08-2010, 15:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
99% of the time I raise on davits as its a very simple process and offers a little exercise.
Yeah, maybe I'm just being lazy. On the other hand it is a little more work for me. I have a single I/O and I keep the drive out of the water for obvious reasons, so to raise/lower the dink, I also have to lower and then raise the drive.
Old 30-08-2010, 16:34   #13

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
It depends on the locale. Rarely do we lock ours to a cable or lift it on the davits if we are in one place for a while. However, if there is a penchant for dinghy thefts, motor thefts, etc., the extra labor makes it worthwhile.

Weather is also a factor. If you are in a blow, and there is a strong reversing current, by all means haul it up on the davits.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 16:49   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I "lost" my Zodiac in the Dominican Republic. I had it chained to the stern cleat but the thieves cut the chain. I got the tender back minus the 15hp Mariner.

Inflatables are very hard to row.

Replacement outboards are very expensive in the Caribbean.

Now I raise my inflatable every night. I use the topping lift on the boom and lay it on deck. It tends to send the thieves elsewhere, prevents disgruntled wanna be thieves from slitting the tubes in protest, and keeps the bottom a bit cleaner.
Old 30-08-2010, 17:36   #15

Boat: csy 37
i use a hard dinghy which seems to be less often stolen than inflatables. i do have an eight foot long cable permanently attached to the bow eye which i can lock to a cleat on the boat or at a dock. at 3 hp the motor is small enough to be taken off every night and chained to the stern rail - when on the dinghy it's chained through a small hole in the transom.

as for taking the dinghy up on deck for rainstorms i say NO. let the dinghy fill with good clean rainwater and then use it for laundry or hull cleaning or whatever... wish i had a picture of the admiral sitting naked in the dinghy one morning doing the laundry after a rainstorm the previous night.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote