Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2023, 07:41   #1

Talking What dinghy size to buy

I need a dinghy for 4 adults and 3 kids (around 9 years old) on a Beneteau 53 feet (roughly 5 meter wide). What's the minimum size dinghy you can get away with? Please take in consideration the storage (either Davitts, solar arch og deck). What has worked for you? Steering wheel or normal outboard? Inflaable keel or glassfiber keel? What were the up's and down's. E.g is it annoying to sail with a large dinghy hanging from a solar arch in larger oceans etc. Looking forward to learn new stuff here
Skippersparsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 07:47   #2

Re: What dinghy size to buy

Where are you going to be cruising? In the North East US many places have a 12 ft limit.

4 adults and 3 kids...I'd think you'd want to be in a 12 foot tiller steer. The seat and console take up a lot of room on a console rigged dinghy. Weight on the davits might push you to an inflatable keel and a smaller motor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 07:57   #3

That's a lot of people. It will be too big for an inflatable bottom. An aluminium bottom will be the next lightest option.

I'd look at a Highfield 360 or 380 classic. I have a 360 with a steering console. It would be too tight for 7 people. Without the console it migt just work. With that many people I'd skip the steering wheel as it will be in the way. The 380 is rated for 7 people so you won't get hassled by the water police if they stop you with everyone onboard.

A lot of the weight comes from the outboard - so you might want to stay smaller - like a 20hp or even 15hp. You won't plane with everyone aboard but you don't plane much in a harbor anyways. Be sure to get an outboard with the new EFI fuel injection. Much more reliable than the old carburator models.

A lighter but expensive option is a carbon fiber OC. These are feather weight. Can be run up on a beach with no problem. And will plane with a small (light) outboard. The sides are much more comfortable to sit on than an inflated tube. They are also look very cool. https://octenders.co.nz/the-oc400-tender/
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 08:01   #4
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

So I'm on a 41 foot boat. Therefore I don't have a direct comparison to your 51 foot boat. But here are some of my opinions.

I do not like hanging a tender off the back either on davits nor an arch if crossing oceans. I store the tender on the foredeck.

Given that constraint, I would prefer a hard tender or a solid bottom inflatable. Removable outboard. Tender goes on and off via a halyard and the engine goes on and off the tender via a gantry with a mounting system for the engine when stored.

For the number of passengers I would think a 12 footer would be required. I'm also thinking about how long will you be going because children grow... I might look at a way to have two tenders.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 08:06   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
So I'm on a 41 foot boat. Therefore I don't have a direct comparison to your 51 foot boat. But here are some of my opinions.

I do not like hanging a tender off the back either on davits nor an arch if crossing oceans. I store the tender on the foredeck.

Given that constraint, I would prefer a hard tender or a solid bottom inflatable. Removable outboard. Tender goes on and off via a halyard and the engine goes on and off the tender via a gantry with a mounting system for the engine when stored.

For the number of passengers I would think a 12 footer would be required. I'm also thinking about how long will you be going because children grow... I might look at a way to have two tenders.

dj
The majority of hard tenders (even once you get to 12 footers) can't carry enough weight to handle 7 people, so an inflatable is pretty much required for this use-case.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 08:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post

Given that constraint, I would prefer a hard tender or a solid bottom inflatable. Removable outboard.

dj
I did as you when I had a 40ft boat but as you get to a 53ft boat it becomes impractical to put it on deck. And even 40ft cats cross oceans with the dinghy hanging since there's no good place to put it forward. A solar arch puts the dinghy far higher than a typical davit. It's probably safer there than strapped to the bow being swept by waves.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 08:26   #7

Boat: Tayana 47

As others above have said, a RIB is probably your best option. I’d go with a 12’ aluminum bottom one because the aluminum is lighter than fiberglass and won’t be damaged by pulling it up on a rocky shoreline. You definitely want tiller steer to keep space open for your rather large “crew.” That’s what I have for my 47’ boat. My motor is 20hp and electric start which is nice because the battery allows me to have an electric bilge pump. I can barely plane with 4 adults so you might want 25hp, but still won’t plane when fully loaded
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 08:42   #8
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I did as you when I had a 40ft boat but as you get to a 53ft boat it becomes impractical to put it on deck. And even 40ft cats cross oceans with the dinghy hanging since there's no good place to put it forward. A solar arch puts the dinghy far higher than a typical davit. It's probably safer there than strapped to the bow being swept by waves.
Thank you for the explanation. Interesting.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 09:15   #9

Boat: Tartan 4100

The OC Tender 400 is 13 feet and has a payload of over 1300 lbs and weighs 147lbs, this would be my choice. Full disclosure: I have an OCT 300 and I love it, so I am biased
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 09:21   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippersparsoe View Post
I need a dinghy for 4 adults and 3 kids (around 9 years old) on a Beneteau 53 feet (roughly 5 meter wide). What's the minimum size dinghy you can get away with? Please take in consideration the storage (either Davitts, solar arch og deck). What has worked for you? Steering wheel or normal outboard? Inflaable keel or glassfiber keel? What were the up's and down's. E.g is it annoying to sail with a large dinghy hanging from a solar arch in larger oceans etc. Looking forward to learn new stuff here

Plan on making two (or more) trips to shore if everyone is going. Think in terms of 10' to 12'. (3.3-3.6 meters)

Consoles with a wheel take up space and weight, tiller steer is better.

Much depends on what part of the world you're in and how long your dinghy rides will be. For me, dinghy rides are short, and I use a 10'4" (3.3 meter) nesting, hard-sided dinghy with oars. I either tow it or store it, nested, on the foredeck, depending on how far I am going.

Fiberglass keel = more durable
Inflatable keel = lighter and could potentially be stored below decks.
Old 13-09-2023, 09:23   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We had a Avon 310 dinghy which wasn’t strong enough then a Caribe 360 which was too big and now we have a Highfield Classic 340 which is perfect with a Mercury EFI 20hp with the center-tiller which obsoletes steering wheels.

But for 7 people? If you go to the beach and swim etc. it can work but you won’t be speeding over to the next island.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 12:57   #12

You need to think about how you will be using your dinghy. Davits are a fantastic convenience if you plan to use it nearly every stop. If you rely on hoisting the motor and dinghy on board separately using a halyard you will end up towing the dinghy most of the time.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 13:52   #13
CMH

Boat: Irwin 65, center console, owner’s version

Have a look ar a larger Zodiac. We’re running a 14 ft center console and it will seat seven ( tight). . And since we run a 50 hp Yamaha (251 lbs) it planes fully loaded. I would buy a 40 hp if I had to do over. We hang the entire rig on davits via two harbor freight 12 volt elec winches.
Chris
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 14:38   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippersparsoe View Post
Hi, there, Skippersparsoe,

Do remember the kids will be getting bigger, and heavier. One of the other Mods here has a 57 foot Moody, and he had a giant inflatable. Unfortunately, the stresses from the dinghy in davits astern broke the stowing setup, twice, before he downsized. He's a smart man, and costs didn't seem to be a huge factor for him, and he eventually settled for the two trips regime.

It happens that I have some hours driving a wheel steered rubber ducky, and in fact, I found the multiple turns lock to lock a pita to deal with. The dinghy was skittery and liable to blow off in a breeze. I did one time carry about 8 people and a border collie in it, but that was over its load limit. I definitely prefer a tiller steered outboard for serious dinghies. The control is much better.

Your options might include a RIB and a roll up, so everyone could go exploring at the same time, but also different objectives ashore could be undertaken. Part of your solution should take into consideration whether or not you want to get off the beaten track, if so how far? with an eye towards accommodating the desires of all aboard.

We, too carry our alloy hull RIB on the foredeck on ocean passages, with its tubes disinflated, and it lashed down. We didn't want davits because of adding all that weight aft. And, my opinion is, that in places with vigorous sea states, the issues that Dockhead experienced with the strength of the davits would be an issue for your boat as well. It is also an issue of not wanting to waste one's own precious time, as getting those kinds of things fixed--and to your satisfaction--can be extremely tedious.

The other issue with a davits setup is chafe. This can be managed, but it needs to be thought out. At 0 dark thirty, it could be really annoying to have it flailing around back there, squeaking when it rubs on something, bothering the offwatch, and interfering with your view astern.

Ann
Old 14-09-2023, 20:50   #15

12-14ft and appropriately sized motor. Definitely go for a Hypalon one.

I had a 12ft Zodiac and it was the smallest I would consider for 7. It's doable, but will be a bit tight.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, size