Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2023, 16:55   #16

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: What dinghy size to buy

As for all things boats it's a compromise. Use case matters, but I lean towards two dinghies.

Definitely not a center or side console dinghy. IMO those are made for 2 people on a large boat. They take up so much room and add so much weight. Frankly I think they look so out of place.

OC Tenders have the cool factor and can be light, but so is an AB aluminum dinghy. As far as ride comfort, I'll take tubes over hard any day. If the water is flat this may not matter, but normal chop the RIB is much better IMO. The OC style has way more storage.
Old 17-09-2023, 17:46   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
As for all things boats it's a compromise. Use case matters, but I lean towards two dinghies.

Definitely not a center or side console dinghy. IMO those are made for 2 people on a large boat. They take up so much room and add so much weight. Frankly I think they look so out of place.

OC Tenders have the cool factor and can be light, but so is an AB aluminum dinghy. As far as ride comfort, I'll take tubes over hard any day. If the water is flat this may not matter, but normal chop the RIB is much better IMO. The OC style has way more storage.
In the realm of expensive, lightweight hard tenders, the OC Tender hull shape strikes me as not a great ride in chop. The hull shape on the similar ASTender looks like it would ride much better.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 07:08   #18

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

PortaBote 14 foot? I’ve often had 4 adults (normal size) in my 10 footer. The 14 should squeeze in a few kid. I guess with a 53 foot boat, you could carry two if yow wanted to.
Old 18-09-2023, 07:42   #19

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I have a 10’ Zodiac RIB and it will hold two adults, one child and a 55lb dog comfortably. You need a much larger RIB and no matter what anyone tells you get the largest motor your boat is rated for plan to add a high quality outboard lift to the transom. Four adults and a small amount of gear is 25hp minimum my ten footer is rated for twenty HP and it needs 20hp. It came with a Honda 9.9 and that would plane with two adults and a small amount of gear in calm conditions. Anyone saying you’ll be fine putting around with a smaller motor has never had multi mile runs to civilization or been in a busy area where it can be hazardous not being able to quickly get out of the way.

Mine has electric start and I highly recommend this for a few reasons.

1. I added a bilge pump so rain is a non issue now

2. Allows a more maintenance free way to add navigation lights

3. The occasional bad fuel experience (I also recommend a racor) would be almost impossible to temporarily overcome if using just the pull start. Basically if one of these newer motors doesn’t start on the third pull you have a fuel issue or you forget to attach the lanyard. It’s almost impossible to hold the throttle in a position that may allow you to get started while pulling the rope.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 07:47   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We replaced our old Caribe 9.5 with an AB RIB, Aluminum double bottom 11.5. The step up gives better planing, bigger tubes = dryer and more capacity. 15 hp. Bow locker with a Moller triangular tank locked internally to a pad-eye. Extra space to stores anchor rode and Mantus 2-1/2# folding anchor. I have transported 7 adults in this, SLOWLY across a settled harbor. Bow anti theft chain, stern engine lock. The inside is totally dry and clear of stuff.

GO BLUE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2993.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	281149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	281150  

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	281151  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:01   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

For your usecase there is only one senseful option: Highfield Ultralight 410. It has the weight together with a 20hp outboards davits or a rigid solar arch can safely handle, it can carry your 7 passenger and with a 20hp outboard that goes on davits/solar arch and for bluewater is hanging on the davits as big garbage bag.
You need waterlength to carry 7 which normally comes with a lot of weight, the ultralight reduces this to acceptable weight you can handle and due to that a 20hp is enough. 15 or 20hp weight the same, eg Honda so a 20hp is your choice.
I have the UL390 and would buy it again without hesitating a second, its only 53kg with alu bottom and a 15hp is already slightly overpowered, will downgrade to a 2 stroke Tohatsu MB 9.8, which is 26kg.

The OC above is good too but costs a liver or you need to rob a bank....
A 53ft is wide enough and eg its standard on 54ft Amel to have the dingy hanging on the back on davits/solar arch also when on bluewater passage.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 08:14   #22

That's a lot of people for one dingy. I dont know what the answer is but probably a 12 foot RIB and just plan on not planing and going slow. Avoid extra weight like a console type.
Maybe two 9+ footers?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 10:21   #23

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
PortaBote 14 foot? I’ve often had 4 adults (normal size) in my 10 footer. The 14 should squeeze in a few kids. I guess with a 53 foot boat, you could carry two if yow wanted to.
Ah, I should add that you shouldn't put too much engine on these boats. They are not heavy barges like RIBs, so you don't need a massive engine. You can even row them. I use a Honda 2.5 on my 10 footer, for example.

Good luck.
Old 18-09-2023, 10:26   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Ah, I should add that you shouldn't put too much engine on these boats. They are not heavy pigs like RIBs, so you don't need a massive engine. You can even row them. A 4hp will do nicely. Maybe a Honda 5hp. The 6 will be too heavy.

They are also pretty ugly, so they don't attract thieves!

And you don't need to leave them dangling off the back while offshore. Just fold it up to something the size of a surfboard, and tie to lifelines.

We've had RIBs, hard (nesting) dinghies, and a PortaBote and prefer the PB for long distance cruising.

Just one person's opinion...

Good luck!
At least for modern 4 strokes, the 4, 5, and 6hp options are typically the same engine, just tuned for a different rating. So a 6hp isn't any heavier. It's going beyond 6hp where you take a significant jump in weight.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 11:33   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want to go big $$ check out the OC Tender site. Very light weight hard shell dinghies that motor as a proper boat. Wide sit-on gunwales, carbon fiber, several seats. Get the wide side pad to protect your yacht. They have an awesome lights package that nobody can miss.
Old 18-09-2023, 12:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
The OC Tender 400 is 13 feet and has a payload of over 1300 lbs and weighs 147lbs, this would be my choice. Full disclosure: I have an OCT 300 and I love it, so I am biased
I also have a OCT 300 and love it, currently cruising Fiji and we regularly do one trip ashore with 6 adults, not going too fast but plenty of freeboard
A 350 or 400 would handle your crew
SY Maara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 12:14   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never tire of this folding boat video

Old 19-09-2023, 06:54   #28

Boat: Hunter 33.5

We’re on a Beneteau 473 and we bought a Whaly.
https://www.whalyboatsusa.com/models
It takes awhile to get it but totally worth it…find a dealer near you if possible and see what they have in stock…otherwise be prepared to wait a few months…they are practically indestructible and cost about 1/3 less then inflatables.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5970.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	281205  
FassettNation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, size