Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 07:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Washing Machine Repair

A tragedy! My reliable old Eudoria/Eumenia EU456 Sparmeister washer/dryer is out of commission. One of the best items of gear on board.

This machine is made in Austria and is built like a brickhouse. My boat was delivered with it already built in -- the cabinetry in my passage cabin was built around its unusual shape. The only trouble I've had with it despite almost daily use many of these years, is a bad door seal once, and some bolts fell out once.

How I have a burned out multi-switch, which is FUBAR as two of the contacts are fused together. This is a switch with seven positions which controls which regime is used (three drying regimes and three washing regimes, and off). There must be 20 or more wires going to it -- it is very complex.

I have a parts catalogue and know the switch to have been made by B&W; another version was made by Dreefs. But the switch appears to be neither made nor stocked nor delivered any more. I called Eumenia and they told me that it is unobtainable.

I really don't want to scrap this otherwise still perfectly functioning machine. It would be an expensive operation as I would have to rebuild the cabinetry. Anyone with some knowledge about washing machine repair, have any ideas on how to deal with it? I wouldn't even be against rigging up a bunch of toggle switches, but with 20+ wires involved, I think it would be extremely complicated.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:58   #2

Re: Washing Machine Repair

It has been done using an Arduino board - you could Google for several examples. But it does require some knowledge of using and programming one of these devices.

I'm by no means an expert on Arduino myself, but from some posts I've read I believe several on this forum are.

Good luck
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:02   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Why not just purchase a washing machine timer control for a different machine and figure out the crossover connections?

Your broken switch could be disassembled to visually determine the dead functionality.

Get a part rated for your voltage and frequency.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:06   #4

Boat: Fantasia 35

I would check and see if I could find a working used unit to part out. Disassemble and save spare parts and discard the frame, tub, and bigger parts.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...How I have a burned out multi-switch, which is FUBAR as two of the contacts are fused together. This is a switch with seven positions which controls which regime is used (three drying regimes and three washing regimes, and off)...
Another thought. Is there a pair of contacts associated with a regime you don't use, that could be removed and substituted for the fused-together ones?
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
Another thought. Is there a pair of contacts associated with a regime you don't use, that could be removed and substituted for the fused-together ones?
That is clever; thanks!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 31-03-2017, 10:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That is clever; thanks!
The fused one are normally for the heater, maximum current, better to replace by using a relay.
And do not shoot your self.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 10:58   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
I did that with our home's dishwasher
The part consisted of a motor driven camstack with a lot of leaf switch contacts, and it was no longer available.
I went up to the island's recycling center and went straight to my favorite supply area, the metal pile to be crushed.
There, I found a washing machine manual rotary control with leaf switch contacts.
$1 USD later, I chopped off the offending contacts from the old switch and replaced them with good ones from the replacement by splicing and soldering.
I cut the leaves in the middle giving myself a bit of overlap to use as the soldering area.

The dishwasher ran perfectly for years afterward, finally being replaced because my wife wanted a quieter one.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
The fused one are normally for the heater, maximum current, better to replace by using a relay.
And do not shoot your self.
That's another very good idea - thanks!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 31-03-2017, 11:06   #10

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

First id the device that the welded switch is connected to.
The options and suggestions will be more accurate after that.
Watching this....
Old 01-04-2017, 02:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Try online electric/electronic surplus sellers. Maybe ebay, too. You need a 7 or more position switch with the same or more contacts in each position. Then, wire by wire, you transfer from one switch to the other.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing