Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2024, 06:56   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Suggestions for electric inflatable pumps

Got a small, 8', slat dinghy for occasional cruising. Don't want to use the hand pump each I want to use it. Am going to put a 12v adapter in the aft end of the cockpit.

Looking for recommendations on 12v pump that will fit inflation valve. Hoping to find something that is reliable and will last a few years. Many on Amazon look like they wont.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:16   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Suggestions for electric inflatable pumps

I've been happy with this one:
https://outdoormaster.com/products/e...-pump-shark-ii
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:51   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I gave up on 12v and instead run a 120v pump off the inverter. The 120v pumps are typically higher capacity (and therefore faster) and cheaper.

If you're going to use a 12v, you will need robust cabling to your lighter plug or a direct connection to a battery. Otherwise you will experience voltage drop and will never get the advertised capacity.

When selecting a pump of either voltage, there are high capacity/low pressure pumps that can only go to 1 or 2 PSI, low capacity/high pressure pumps that can go to higher PSI, and two-stage pumps that will do both.

A high capacity/low pressure pump is good for bulk inflating/deflating a boat and you can finish inflating to specified PSI with a hand or foot pump.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:57   #4

I have never seen a quality 12V inflator. Lots of them out there, and every one I looked at was junk.

We use a 120V model from West Marine that does a great job. It actually gets a lot of use because we have large inflatable fenders that need inflation each time we approach a dock. It's lasted us years.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:46   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Since I standardized my battery powered hand tools on the DeWalt 20V line, I also bought their portable compressor.

It will run on 12V [comes with a long, detachable cord] or a DeWalt 20 volt battery. It has two output modes: high volume, low pressure [e.g., 2-3 PSI] for SUPs, dinghies and the like, as well as high pressure [lower flow] for vehicle tires, etc.

It works very well as a portable using a battery. The best I have used over the years.

While it comes with several inflation adaptors, I still had to purchase a [universal] HR adaptor for our RIB. [Most will fit the 3/4” ID High flow hose that comes with this compressor.] https://amzn.to/4bRFJpH

Just sharing what works well for my needs.

Cheers, Bill
Old 01-03-2024, 10:08   #6

Thanks. I have standardized on Ryobi, so I will to see if they have one. Great idea. Ah, just looked, no 12V adapter, just battery

I have only a 750W inverter on the boat, so not sure how great a job 120V pump will do. That is about 5A.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:15   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We used the Ryobi version that's very similar to the Dewalt shown above. Works extremely well, but noisy, so we'd wait until everyone in the anchorage was awake to use it.
Old 01-03-2024, 17:40   #8

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I have a Ryobi inflator, it works great. It is no louder that the electric pumps you hear at a whitewater rafting put in. If you want a plug in type check out the ones made for whitewater rafts, commercial quality.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 17:56   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

I have a 12V pump, it's old and the model probably isn't made anymore. I run it from a small lithium jumpstart pack that fits in the bag with the pump. I wouldn't do it any other way.

The pump is 2 stage, with a turbine that inflates very fast, then as pressure builds it switches to a diaphragm or piston pump to get the final pressure. I can have my 300 sized dinghy inflated and in the water in less than 5 minutes.

Probably any 2 stage type 12V pump would be fine.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:39   #10

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/33287178780

Is this the one you have, and if so, how to connector hose to adapter for the HR valve?

Also, what about using just a small shopvac, though the adapter might be harder to find...
Old 02-03-2024, 07:01   #11
CMH

Boat: Irwin 65, center console, owner’s version

I use the Ryobi 18 volt inflator for our Zodiac. It works fine.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2422D5D0-6795-43F6-A8F1-1D589387AEC6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	287090  
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:00   #12

Boat: IP 44

I have a Milwaukee 18v shop vac on board. It does the bulk of inflation duties very quickly by attaching the hose to the exit port of the vac. I use on on the dink and stand-up board. I use a hand/foot pump to do the last few psi. I dont even have a proper adaptor. I just hold the hose onto the fitting. Pressures are so low it hardly matters. It fills up the dink very quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Lit...hoCWsQQAvD_BwE
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, inflatable, pump