Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 21:22   #1

RIB 10'

I have a new to me 10' titan RIB. I have powered it with a 9.8hp 4 stroke outboard. The engine has electric start - I'm finding pull starting too difficult with my age and stage 🙄
I would appreciate thoughts about where to install the battery and gas tank for most efficient operation.
I live a mile offshore and use this boat to haul my groceries, etc. to my island, and the garbage/recycling off. It works hard for me!!
In sailing season, it will also be the dinghy for my 28'sailboat. Tnx for your thoughts.
Sandy
seajester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: RIB 10'

Generally, planing hulls perform best with the majority of weight just aft of center. Unfortunately, that’s not usually a convenient place to locate fuel tank/battery & supplies.
If you place the Batt/Fuel at the transom, you’ll likely have move yourself far forward to get onto plane, at which time you can move back amidships. A tiller extension is useful here.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:43   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

As Gordon wrote, place the battery and tank as far forward as possible, to counterbalance the weight of the motor. You need to make your own judgments.

Since you'll already have a battery aboard, you might also consider adding an automatic bilge pump in the drain well at the stern, to handle the rain. Here's a picture of my setup. Note that I added a check valve to reduce pump cycling in the tiny sump well.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
RIB 10'

I'd put both the battery and the fuel tank in the bow, keeps you from having to lean so far forward and may keep you from having to extend the tiller too.
I have our fuel tank in the bow and it helps, we don't have a battery, but if I did, I'd put real position lights on it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 19:23   #5

Boat: Rinker 24

A 10 hp motor does not need that big of a battery, I'd also consider mounting it in the front but a pretty small 12V motorcycle/lawn mower battery isn't much weight, and an adventurous person could probably make up a battery pack from Lith/Ion that would be even lighter still.

Anyway, I'd be tempted to try that, and for gas go with a pair of small cans like 1 or 2 gallon and keep one up front and the other in the stern by the motor. When you empty a can move the front one back, then fill the empty one and store it up in front.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib