Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 22:26   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Refillable 16 oz. Propane Cylinder

For those of you who use a lot of the one pound propane cylinders, there is now a cylinder designed to be refilled. Yes I know you can refill the disposable ones but this makes it safer and easier.

I saw it at Home Depot yesterday. The cylinder was $10 and the kit with a cylinder was $30. That would make the break even point about 10 refills.

The problem with refilling the disposable cylinders is that it is hard to get a good fill. You have to either freeze the cylinder before you start or pull up on the safety vent with pliers while filling it. They often leak after refilling as the valves were not designed for refilling.

The refillable cylinder has a vent that you can open and close with an Allen key.

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks good to me. I have a 2.5 hp Lehr Outboard that I normally run on an eleven pound tank because the disposables are expensive. I might just change to the 16 oz refillable cylinders.

Here is a link to a video of it in action.
Old 20-05-2017, 01:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Refillable 16 oz. Propane Cylinder

I gave up on the 1lb myself, concern with leaks and mostly rust.
If this one has brass fittings it may be worth it for that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 02:07   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Looks like a good idea to me. Anyone know of a source for this in Europe?

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 03:58   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I gave up on the 1lb myself, concern with leaks and mostly rust.
If this one has brass fittings it may be worth it for that.
I would never, ever have one of those cylinders on my boat, inside the hull volume. Seems to me a disaster waiting to happen.

I have used them on land, and they frequently rust and leak, which is usually harmless on land but deadly on a boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 04:35   #5

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Correct, propane should never be stored where leaking propane could be dangerous.

Mine are stored, high and dry, hanging over the bow rail, in a custom two-tank storage holder.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:07   #6

Boat: sabre 28

Thanks for sharing that!
Old 20-05-2017, 07:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would never, ever have one of those cylinders on my boat, inside the hull volume. Seems to me a disaster waiting to happen.

I have used them on land, and they frequently rust and leak, which is usually harmless on land but deadly on a boat.
No propane tanks should be stored any where leaking propane can get into the hull. This is true for these little tanks as well as the bigger tanks used to supply your stove.

All propane containers, no matter the size, should be treated as if they contain gasoline.

Wingless, nice holder
I've seen some made from PVC pipe but they are not as attractive as yours.
Old 20-05-2017, 08:12   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I thought that the new valves had a safety which kept them closed at unusual angles (like upside down) Can anyone verify I am wrong?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:38   #9

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse

Thanks for this information. As an aside, how to do you like your propane Lehr outboard? We are considering this for our dinghy?
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:38   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

My question would be the venting and where do you fill it, from you onboard tank? The supply tank would need to be turned up side down to get the liquid out. The vent, on the 16oz, probably needs to be open until liquid comes out turning to gas when released.
Sounds like a nightmare for onboard use.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I thought that the new valves had a safety which kept them closed at unusual angles (like upside down) Can anyone verify I am wrong?
The 20 pound tanks that would be used to refill the small cylinder are equipped with internal float valves that prevent them from being over filled. If you turn the tank upside down, the float will just hold the valve open.

The reason you turn the big tank upside down is so liquid propane, not gas, will flow into the small cylinder.
Old 20-05-2017, 08:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeningal View Post
Thanks for this information. As an aside, how to do you like your propane Lehr outboard? We are considering this for our dinghy?
I love it. The carb never gums up no matter how long it sits between uses.
Old 20-05-2017, 08:48   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My question would be the venting and where do you fill it, from you onboard tank? The supply tank would need to be turned up side down to get the liquid out. The vent, on the 16oz, probably needs to be open until liquid comes out turning to gas when released.
Sounds like a nightmare for onboard use.
I wouldn't do it onboard, but it looks like only a small amount of gas is vented during the filling process. Now that I think about it, maybe it would be safe to do on an open deck. Even a slight breeze would disperse the vapor before it could accumulate to a dangerous level. Probably less dangerous than filling a small outboard tank with gasoline on deck.

Did you watch the video?
Old 20-05-2017, 09:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A big portion of my problem was storage. I could put one in the LPG locker, but on my boat there is no where else safe, so I have to keep them on deck under the spray hood where they are in the way, and of course rust.
I ended up with an adapter hose and mounted a 10 lb aluminum tank on the rail under the grill.
If I had a propane outboard, I think mounting the tank upside down on the rail at the stern would be safe and would do away with the four legged stand.
I do not understand the admonishment of having the tank inverted for more than 10 min.
As an alternative propane tanks are sold that are intended to dispense liquid as opposed to gas, they have a dip tube I think, I believe forklift tanks dispense liquid.

I just can't have a steel propane tank on board, turns to rust quickly, maybe on an exchange basis.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:43   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I wouldn't do it onboard, but it looks like only a small amount of gas is vented during the filling process. Now that I think about it, maybe it would be safe to do on an open deck. Even a slight breeze would disperse the vapor before it could accumulate to a dangerous level. Probably less dangerous than filling a small outboard tank with gasoline on deck.

Did you watch the video?
Truthfully I didn't watch it. I will go back and do so. My comment was purely based in my knowledge, opinion and paranoia of LPG onboard. I think the gas, petrol,fumes are lighter than air.

As long as someone is smart enough to do it on the lee deck with a breeze I guess it would be OK. I can envision someone getting very comfortable sitting in the cockpit and doing it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane