Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 14:14   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Hookah ,diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Dirt cheap, low RPM, no vibration and honestly about as loud as a sewing machine, and aluminum tank that doesn't rust, what's not to like?
PS, I hate those vibrator aircompressors, I can't stand hearing them run

https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...iet+compressor

Wow. Just watching that video I was amazed at how quiet it is when running. Not having run a hookah before what special fittings would i need to connect to a regulator? Advanced diver but no hookah work.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:17   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah ,diy

I bought a 60' hose from a supplier in FL that came with everything you needed except a second stage. On the hose I bought I put on the male fitting for a regular airhose, it connects to the quick disconnect to the compressor, that's all you need.
The compressor is so quiet I will leave it in the boat or if I take it out and am in the Marina, it doesn't bother anyone.
I would make sure I bought a hose meant for breathing gas, I don't know what you may be breathing if you just used a regular air hose.
One I bought had a swivel to keep the hose from kinking up, a thin section of hose four feet or so at the end so you have a nice flexible section for your reg and a belt the hose attaches to so it won't pull the reg out of your mouth.

I think here
http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-ho...uba-hoses.aspx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:26   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I bought a 60' hose from a supplier in FL that came with everything you needed except a second stage. On the hose I bought I put on the male fitting for a regular airhose, it connects to the quick disconnect to the compressor, that's all you need.
The compressor is so quiet I will leave it in the boat or if I take it out and am in the Marina, it doesn't bother anyone.
I would make sure I bought a hose meant for breathing gas, I don't know what you may be breathing if you just used a regular air hose.
One I bought had a swivel to keep the hose from kinking up, a thin section of hose four feet or so at the end so you have a nice flexible section for your reg and a belt the hose attaches to so it won't pull the reg out of your mouth.

I think here
http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-ho...uba-hoses.aspx
Thanks. They are on backorder but will get one when back in stock.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:01   #19

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I was going to use a California Air Tools compressor but I picked up a Thomas 1020 on Ebay for $180. I have hose and regulator from a Brownie tank Hooka but I need a filter/water separator. Not sure if I need the water separator but I do want a filter.

The 1020 runs fine on my Magnum 2000 watt inverter.

Yes, I know I will die with a DIY hooka.

I am scuba certified.

Thomas 1020's come up on Ebay every month or so.
Old 19-12-2016, 18:06   #20

Boat: IP 40

OK folks, my apologies if this is a stupid question but seriously, a DIY Hookah? I've been a diver for a long, long time and have filled many a scuba tank, but always with purpose built, super clear and majorly filtered compressors or air banks.

Is this really a thing? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me...what am I missing?
Old 19-12-2016, 18:23   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Thanks. They are on backorder but will get one when back in stock.
For the hose consider using linear low density polyethylene. I suggest FDA food grade, such as LLDPE.

Also, I suggest a light colored hose that will be visible in the water.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:42   #22

Boat: Krogen 42

What is the minimum CFM required?
Old 20-12-2016, 00:54   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
OK folks, my apologies if this is a stupid question but seriously, a DIY Hookah? I've been a diver for a long, long time and have filled many a scuba tank, but always with purpose built, super clear and majorly filtered compressors or air banks.

Is this really a thing? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me...what am I missing?
When ever a thread like this comes up inevitably this response comes around.
We are talking about diving 1-2m! In my case im a certified diver. The hookahs you can buy ,such as powerdive etc are just put together units like the ones we are talking about.
If your an idiot and buy a oil lubricated compressor, dont understand the fundamentals of diving with compressed air then yes this is dangerous BUT a intelligent commonsense type guy can very easily construct and use his own hookah system.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:05   #24

I'm just not sure I understand the point. I suck air like an old man (which I am getting to be) and an 80 cuft tank will last me a couple of hours 3-4 feet down (surface) for working on the boat. And I can use it for other things such as actually diving. Only cost a few bucks to get it filled, won't rust and only cost about $80 off of CL.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:07   #25

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
It depends on how deep you are and what you're doing.

These are commonly accepted RMV's.

Rest 7 -10
Light Work 11-20

Moderate Work 21-37
Heavy Work 38–54
Severe Work 55–100

To convert to CFM, multiply by ATA (1 at surface) and divide by 28.31.

For diving below the surface in salt water, ATA are (depth-in-ft +33)/33

Thus for non-extreme work near the surface 2 CFM is generally sufficient.

The pressure requirements are a little more complex, btw. If your compressor will produce 2+cfm at 90psi, you should be all set for surface.

Perhaps others will wish to tackle the pressure question 🤔

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:59   #26

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I'm just not sure I understand the point. I suck air like an old man (which I am getting to be) and an 80 cuft tank will last me a couple of hours 3-4 feet down (surface) for working on the boat. And I can use it for other things such as actually diving. Only cost a few bucks to get it filled, won't rust and only cost about $80 off of CL.
That works if you are dock bound with a vehicle. Where I am right now its a trip into marina and a $40 car rental to fill a tank. That's expensive air.
Old 20-12-2016, 05:22   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post

They are safe, as long as they are an oil free compressor and you breathe through a hose meant for breathing gas, and you don't put them beside a source of poisonous gas like a running engine. Of course high pressure compressors to fill tanks have to have oil and therefore there are a lot of measures that have to be taken to ensure a safe breathing gas.
There is nothing special about a Hooka compressor.

As far as how many CFM, well that depends on the person, I know my requirement swimming is .67 cu ft per min, at Deco doing nothing at all, its about .5. It is called SAC rate, SAC stands for surface air consumption. This is at sea level pressure of course, at 33 ft, you double the air requirement, but the little compressor I linked to will easily supply me with more air than I need to clean the bottom, change anodes etc, which is why I have the thing.
If your a diver and have tanks, then of course just attach the hose to the tank and first stage, that just gets the weight off of your back mostly for climbing in and out of the boat
Old 20-12-2016, 05:25   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On average Women use much less air than Men, I don't know why, but I dive with a 100 cu ft steel, Her with an 80 cu ft steel, we need to surface right at about the same time.
Old 20-12-2016, 07:18   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
...what are people using now that 1020 is not available.
The Thomas 1207PK80

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 07:27   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
You make the point for hookah very well, however unintentionally. Small footprint and unlimited free air with no trips anywhere or cost for refills. Using tanks makes little sense to me.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote