Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 05:01   #31

Boat: Caliber 47
Re: Hookah ,diy

Go to The Bahamas. These guys use Hookah hoses to dive for lobster . Conditions and compressors look pretty suspect....they all look healthy to me!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:56   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
Go to The Bahamas. These guys use Hookah hoses to dive for lobster . Conditions and compressors look pretty suspect....they all look healthy to me!
Yeah, brilliant observation. You can also see young, fit people on any street in every town in America, smoking cigarettes. They look healthy too. Doesn't mean they aren't slowly killing themselves.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:19   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This thread has spurred my interest in the DIY hookahs. Does anyone know of a 12vdc, oiless compressor that would work to a less than 2 meter dive to wipe slim off?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:23   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...or I guess a better question is...at less than 3 meters, what cfm's are needed to maintain a non-lose flow?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 11:04   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This thread has spurred my interest in the DIY hookahs. Does anyone know of a 12vdc, oiless compressor that would work to a less than 2 meter dive to wipe slim off?
Read the end of the thread. I would never recommend it, but clearly somebody would:

Hookah Hose - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 24-12-2016, 11:37   #36

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
I find most of the Bahamas lobster divers use Airline hookahs. They mostly operate out of Spanish Wells. There is a dive shop there that only sells hookah related equipment and only carries the Airline brand of Hookahs. I have an Airline hookah and can find any part I need in that dive shop. I do most of my diving in less than 40 feet and get about 160 minutes per tank of gas. Mine is an older two piston model rated at 4 divers to 60ft. I do carry 4 tanks for deeper dives. Getting them filled is problematic in the Bahamas, gas is not. I have run into several dive shops that will not fill a tank at any price. They provide air only for those going out on one of their trips. I looked at using a high pressure compressor to fill tanks, but the maintenance was prohibitive. The hookah is very low maintenance compared to the high pressure compressors. I have been a scuba diver for 48 years and much prefer diving with the hookah.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 11:45   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Read the end of the thread. I would never recommend it, but clearly somebody would:

Hookah Hose - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Hi Fstbttms, why wouldn't you recommend it for the purpose in mind? Seriously asking, I dont see the problem for intended purpose, so what an I missing?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 12:39   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Fstbttms, why wouldn't you recommend it for the purpose in mind? Seriously asking, I dont see the problem for intended purpose, so what an I missing?
As a marine industry professional, I'd be embarrassed to be seen on the dock with a toy like that. Further, it is my personal philosophy to not buy the cheapest tool you can find, but rather to buy the best tool you can afford. I have no doubt that this little compressor will allow you to breath underwater. But I absolutely have my doubts about its durability or ability to provide a working diver with enough air to breathe comfortably.
Old 24-12-2016, 14:45   #39

Boat: Caliber 47

As an Industry professional I m sure Fstbttms has an opinion....just be sure the Bahamian divers aren't all walking around bent over!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:16   #40

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Yeah, brilliant observation. You can also see young, fit people on any street in every town in America, smoking cigarettes. They look healthy too. Doesn't mean they aren't slowly killing themselves.
More to the point I know several folks in the Keys who thought they could pick up a little cash by cleaning bottoms. They kluged together cheap pan type compressors from Home Depot with questionable regulators and hoses from who knows where. The business seldom last more than a year or two before the divers have health issues with colds, infections, and general bad health.

On another point I have a Hookamax I have been happy with. It is several years old but I mainly use it diving in fresh water springs/rivers. When it is on the boat I am very careful to keep it covered and spray it with fresh water after use. One thing most boaters will agree with is anything on a boat is subject to rust if you don't keep on top of things no matter how high quality it is. On the other hand obsessive maintaining things will go a long way in keeping them in working order.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:53   #41

Being more experienced at diving than sailing (etc qualified and dive with a world record holder dive centre), one bit of advice I'd give is don't skimp on what keeps you alive! I have had many experiences with kit where either it's failed or I've refused to use it. What may seem trivial on the surface can be a major issue underwater! If I'm unhappy with any bit of kit I don't dive or the three strike rule. Get something fit for purpose that's meant to do the job in hand and keep it in tip top condition if it supposed to keep you alive!
AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 17:09   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliArcher View Post
Being more experienced at diving than sailing (etc qualified and dive with a world record holder dive centre), one bit of advice I'd give is don't skimp on what keeps you alive! I have had many experiences with kit where either it's failed or I've refused to use it. What may seem trivial on the surface can be a major issue underwater! If I'm unhappy with any bit of kit I don't dive or the three strike rule. Get something fit for purpose that's meant to do the job in hand and keep it in tip top condition if it supposed to keep you alive!
We are talking 2m.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 17:13   #43

Quote:
We are talking 2m.

Ha yeah I know I noticed that, I'm still careful though no matter what depth. One of my instructors nearly died in that depth when he was a commercial diver! Not saying spend 5k on a rebreather although that would be awesome ! Could clean a boat for 24 hours !
AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 17:48   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We are talking 2m.
The last meter is the most dangerous.
Old 25-12-2016, 09:21   #45

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
The last meter is the most dangerous.
Anyone with experience diving has had this drilled into them.

When I was looking into getting a CC certification my research revealed that more CC divers die within 10 feet of the surface than any other place. There are some things you can learn on your own but it makes sense to me to spend the money and get trained if you are going to do something that is as dangerous ad diving; even if you are going no deeper than 10 feet.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote