Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2021, 08:58   #1

Boat: Yankee 30'
flashlight

Anyone can recommend a flashligt that: Fits in a pocket, is waterproof, has a very tight beam or is focusable, is rechargeable or at least the batteries can be recharged, has a separate on off switch besides the switch that controls the brightness so you don't have to scroll throough all the levels, usually starting at the unfortunate super bright.

OK, back in the day I had to break out a humongous pistol grip searchlight with an electric cord and a cigarette lighter plug. Surely I can now find a flashlight that will let me light up a distant chanel marker or buoy and fit in the pocket? The Google and Amazon searches do me no good, because one gets an enormous number of hits and almost all the items coming up lack info about one or more of the above features I need. I am sure others will appreciate a good flashlight tip.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 09:09   #2

Re: flashlight

might fit your short list

https://www.wubenlight.com/collectio...led-flashlight

https://www.amazon.ca/Flashlight-Rec.../dp/B07ZFC3JQF
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 09:12   #3

Boat: Trlåren 31

I'm using this and it's pretty good, but doesn't have a separate switch to select the brightness mode. It needs a bigger pocket to carry.

I also dislike having to cycle through the power switch with lights to find the mode I want to use. This is most aggravating for me when using a headlamp to work in the dark nooks and crannies inside the boat.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 18:36   #4

Boat: Yankee 30'

Thanks, again, I am looking for one purpose flahlight. To light up distant chanel markers and buoys. So fixed narrow beam and fixed high power will work, largish pocket size ok. But after the 100 flashlights I have looked over, I feel I will have better luck with one of the complicated ones. I already have one close to it, rechargeable, two button, bright flashlight, but it doesn't have a adjustable focus, just a middle of the range fixed one. So if I try to use it from my cockpit, it will light up the deck as well, good-bye night vision.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 19:35   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

This is not small...3 x D batteries... but is unbelievable with its long narrow beam.

Nor is it rechargeable. Fine with me as the rechargeble spot light I had would die just when you need it, and a charge didn't last all that long. I guess you could use rechargeable batteries, but they never seem to have the life of good disposable batteries.

I have no interest in this company other than being a satisfied customer.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 19:42   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

You could try the DGX800 from Dive Gear Express. Sold as a dive light, they are waterproof, very bright, small, project a tight beam, and use rechargeable batteries. I've had several, and have been getting a few years out of them before they fail (with fairly heavy use). The same lights are sold by other vendors under various names.
Old 22-08-2021, 19:47   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

This is the MT10 Ledlenser torch I use for surveying. It focuses into a decent beam, but you still have to cycle through the light settings. Not that it is really an issue. Depending on the situation I automatically point the torch to the ground and click through to the correct light setting. The torch is fairly waterproof and durable. I have been using it daily for years and can't fault it. They are not cheap, but well worth the money.
Cheers
https://ledlenser.com.au/products/mt10-outdoor-series
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 20:07   #8

https://www.nitecorestore.com/default.asp

Maybe this one?

They produce excellent flashlights and batteries, I have 4 of their lights for outdoor work and EDC.

Strongly suggest getting models that use 18650 batteries but that would mean you need to get a) a flashlight that can be USB charged, b) battery that can be USB charged directly plugged in or c) dedicated Li battery charger.

NB: most lights are one button though they remember last brightness used, there are a couple of multi button tact lights.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 21:30   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There are many variations on this one. Shop around. We keep four on board using snap clips to mount them in front of hatches.

https://www.pulsetv.com/ProdInfo.asp?number=9768

waterproof and impact-resistant, and best of all, if you drop it in water... it floats,

21-Hour Hybridlight. It has next-generation solar panels to collect light from indoor and outdoor sources while the internal battery cell is engineered to keep a charge and ready for years at a time. If you don't have access to a light source for charging, you can also charge the light with the included USB cord.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 20:29   #10

Boat: Amigo 23

I have used a Fenix HM61R (e.g. https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...headlamp/63321) with no complaints. Not used it much around salt water, but so far it has held up fine. Uses 18650 Li-ion or CR123m and you can either recharge the 18650 separately or use the included charging cable.
ParL is offline   Reply With Quote