Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 17:34   #1

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'
Dinghy repair advice needed

I have a 2007 12' Saturn dinghy. All the parts are there. Only problem is every seam is coming apart. The glue must have deteriorated. These boats are hand glued and not welded. It is PVC. Would a rain or shine PVC glue work. The owner manual does say yo clean the repair area with PVC cleaner, same kind as sold in hardware stores, before glueing. This cleaner will actually begain to melt the PVC. I have experience with this in plumbing with PVC. Many glues harden after just a few months. This will be inadequate for repair work on dinghys. What would be the best glue to used. I'll need to reglue every seam.
Ericsstinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 23:53   #2

Re: Dinghy repair advice needed

I would try researching your specific issues with the keyword 5200. Every boat owner does (or should) have some onboard.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 00:55   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I would try researching your specific issues with the keyword 5200. Every boat owner does (or should) have some onboard.
While patching with 5200 as an adhesive is feasible, using it for re gluing all the seams in an inflatable would be damn hard to do. The main reason is the long cure time and the lack of sufficient tackyness to hold thing together whilst the glue sets up.

The only type of adhesive that will succeed in such a big repair is one of the bespoke 2-pot numbers designed for PVC materials. Anything lesser will be a big waste of time and effort.

Jim
Old 08-11-2016, 00:59   #4

People have posted of success with inflatable repairs using 5200 and duct tape (or even clean packing tape), right? 5200 and duct tape to us is like vinegar or barkeepers friend for cleaning, brightening and disinfecting on the cheap and going green.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36   #5

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

Problem is: PVC is a hard, stiff material. To make it flexible manufacturers use an additive which, over time, dissolve the glue. So, even when using the two parts glue, eventually all PVC glued seams open. Only real cure is welded seams or dinghies made of Hypalon.
Sorry for the bad news but I have been through the same ordeal with my previous PVC Zodiac, inhaled a lot of toxic fumes trying to fix seams with the two parts glue and MEK solvent required for the job to no avail.
Good luck though!
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:38   #6

Boat: Four Winns V435

I recommend you try Clifton Urethane Adhesive.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Your dinghy has reached the end of its life. Replace it.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
I have a 2007 12' Saturn dinghy. All the parts are there. Only problem is every seam is coming apart. The glue must have deteriorated. These boats are hand glued and not welded. It is PVC. Would a rain or shine PVC glue work. The owner manual does say yo clean the repair area with PVC cleaner, same kind as sold in hardware stores, before glueing. This cleaner will actually begain to melt the PVC. I have experience with this in plumbing with PVC. Many glues harden after just a few months. This will be inadequate for repair work on dinghys. What would be the best glue to used. I'll need to reglue every seam.
Have you investigated sending back to the MFG. for repair?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06   #9

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

I would try Stabond Glue. I use it for all my repairs on the PVC whitewater rafts. It works the best. Clifton is good too.

Its going to be a real chore to repair failing seams. You might be able to get the seams to hold, but I have my doubts. Saturn rafts are notorious for seam failures.

If you purchase a new raft, go with hypalon or welded PVC. Both will give you 20-30 years of life if properly taken care of. All that usually needs to be done is to use some 303 Protectant a few times a year.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:08   #10

Boat: Pearson 30

I tried HH66 on my zodiac when the bottom fell out. Worked for a while but now glue is coming undone after about two months. Perhaps call zodiac or other manufacture for advice
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

I agree Clifton Urethane Adhesive is an excellent product for PVC repairs. Hard to get outside of USA.
I Use G Clamps and sections of timber cut to size to spread the pressure of the G Clamps over the length of the seam being repaired. Eventually all the seams will fail due to UV exposure and exposure to daily high temp over summer. (After a few years)
Next dinghy? I'll have covers made to protect the tubes and seams. Treat your dinghy as a consumable item and replace as necessary?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:00   #12

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
I recommend you try Clifton Urethane Adhesive.
Might I also add that I do my boating in South Florida and the Bahamas and take it from me if you decide to purchase a new tender get a Hypalon (I like the AB Rib models). To keep it for many years get a quality cover and keep it covered when not in use.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:26   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Wisdom in two sentences!

Jim
Old 08-11-2016, 12:38   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yes agree with other posts it's difficult to do a whole pvc dinghy. I'll never get another glued PVC. I found ICI/National 1957 polyurethane adhesive with catalyst to work on PVC dinghy but they have been taken over by Henkel now I believe so unsure what product no. is now or indeed if it's still produced. Would go with stabond or Clifton if I was US. based as suggested in other posts ( I couldnt get them here in NZ). Yes I found out thru experience you cannot use PVC or CPVC pipe cement as its too brittle.
My recommendation would probably be get a good used welded seam PVC or Hypalon dinghy if yr budget doesn't extend to a new one unless you want a project of course.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy