Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 17:38   #61

Re: Dinghy, most popular size and type

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Where I am, Inflatable aluminum hulled RIBs seems to be the most popular. Often in the 290-310 range (most often a HighField or "GreatLakes"). One thing I have noticed is many people under power their dinghies. and then say they can get a 290 up on plan with a 6hp outboard. I call BS on this. Unless you are a very light person you are not planning with 6hp on a 9ft RIB.
I'd be interested in more data points on this. I am looking at a new RIB, and have narrowed my options down to two basic categories:

The lighter (and cheaper) approach: either an Achilles AL270 or a Highfield Ultralite 260, in either case with a 6 hp motor, or

The heavier approach: either an Achilles AX270 or Highfield Classic 260, in either case with 10 or 15 hp EFI motor.

As much as I would like to avoid having a carburetor, I am having a hard time justifying a 15 hp motor on a 2.6M RIB, and those EFI engines look big and heavy. I am space constrained on the mother ship too (hence the shorter RIB size), and most times it will be just me on the dink (200 lbs). I am pretty sure that a 6 hp would plane either of those lighter RIBs with just me on it. If I am wrong about that, I am all ears.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 19:11   #62

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_isara View Post
Seems like the 3 ways I know if are:

1: light weight - portabote style
2: skinny - kaboat style (like mine)
3: catamaran, takacat style

4. Modest boat with oars.
Old 30-01-2024, 08:37   #63

I have always preferred RIB’s. 11-12’. Had an AB 10.2 M. With a 15 yami 2 stroke. And a C-12 with a 25 2 stroke. Always get a 2 stroke for a dingy. The weight of the 4’s are just too much. To much to handle, too much weight on the stern of the dingy. Some squatting dangerously close to the water level. Easy to swamp. Also 4 strokes and more maintenace and more trouble prone.

The only real advantage is that they burn less gas. Love the Enduro series of commercial Yamaha.

Very important for a dingy be able to plane out. We do a lot of Scuba so a planing seaworthy dingy is important. I once saved a woman’s life because I had a fast seaworthy dingy. She clearly would have died otherwise. And yes, aluminum bottom best if you can afford it. Mine were FG. They worked fine but were a little heavier than AL.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:39   #64

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Also 4 strokes and more maintenace and more trouble prone.

The only real advantage is that they burn less gas.
Only real advantage as a user maybe, but the other main advantage is that they are a lot cleaner burning.

Two strokes are nice and easy I guess, but I've also had plenty of times where I've had to re-build a carb on the boat.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 11:06   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Only real advantage as a user maybe, but the other main advantage is that they are a lot cleaner burning.

Two strokes are nice and easy I guess, but I've also had plenty of times where I've had to re-build a carb on the boat.
The only place the cleaner burning is applicable is on an enclosed body of water we typically operate in more open waters. The simplicity and lighter weight is a huge benifit. And I’ll take the very occasional carb cleaning to all the maintenance and less dependability of a fourstroke any day. Also the enduro is more robust a parts and mechanics available everywhere. The locals know them like the back of their hand. And, they are cheaper and available in most of the World. ( except US).
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 14:00   #66

Quote:
We've been cruising around Mexico now for 3 months with a kaboat style dinghy. We love it. I wonder if the people complaining about inflatable floors have used a high pressure floor. The floor of ours feels like standing on a stand-up board which is pretty stiff. It planes with two adults and a 3.5hp motor (10kn in calm so not a speed demon but not slow). So we have usually the smallest motor in the marina yet we are faster than many of the dinghys out there. What i see at marinas are 10 foot dinghies with huge motors. ours is 14 ft and skinny. It also rows really well unlike a normal dingy where it's like rowing a bathtub. Costs almost nothing.
Easy to launch and pull up tye side of the boat with no special tools or lifts

https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Bo...%2C176&sr=8-15
have you had any issues with the sun degredating the PVC? But at that price if it lasts 3 seasons it is still a bargain.....

Thanks
Dennis
Direstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 14:27   #67

Boat: Privilege 435

Cruising on the east coast, I think at least 50% of the dinghies at the dinghy dock are highfield cl 310s. Seems far and away the most popular dinghy, on the east coast of US anyway.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:58   #68

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Did Jimbo ever tell us what kind of boat he has? He did say a RIB in the foredeck is not simple.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:58   #69

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser

Fiberglass Caribe 9/10/12 RIB with a Tohatsu 18hp. Had a Yammie 15hp but since around 2000 found the newer 15hp Yammies suffer corrosion and aluminium casting issues---last one cracked right through the crankcase. The Tohatsu is more agricultural but similar in weight, larger displacement, and more grunt. Prefer a fiberglass bottom, no corrosion with pontoons separating from the hull and easily repaired with some West system epoxy which any cruiser should have.
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 14:01   #70

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Did Jimbo ever tell us what kind of boat he has? He did say a RIB in the foredeck is not simple.
I have a Jeaneau 419, I think I'm going to get a fiberglass rib
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 14:19   #71

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If I were buying new I'd get an aluminum rigid inflatable.
Lighter, better. Fiberglass rigids are much heavier.
Don't forget to get chaps for it, to prevent sun damage.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 19:30   #72

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
I have a Jeaneau 419, I think I'm going to get a fiberglass rib
So you have davits then?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 22:28   #73

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Absolutely not true for many cruisers. We don't have (nor want) davits, so ask a 130lb woman to hand you your 25hp motor with one hand and see it turn into an anchor real quick

As you say it depends on your needs.
\
Actually, in my experience, the smaller the outboard the more maintenance it requires. It doesn't take as much crud to stop up a 3 hp carb.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 00:00   #74

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So you have davits then?
No not yet, I'm looking at fabricating a pair, looking at others in my marina they look relativity easy to make, bend 2" SS for the main arms and weld reinforcements, add 4:1 blocks/tackle.

They are so overpriced in the market for simple construction.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:22   #75

Boat: Bristol 27

For those with a smaller boat, I'm thinking a Zodiac 230 Roll up.

You can use the oars instead of an outboard. You get little enough exercise on a sailboat as it is.

A dinghy this size will fit on my foredeck inflated, (Bristol 27) and at a weight of 49 lbs. should be easy to load and offload.

Plus it fits in a small storage bag when necessary.

In my case, the old 16'6" foldable kayak I've been using is getting too old plus it blocks one entire side deck on my boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, size