Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2023, 04:47   #1

Boat: Najad 400
Best tender for Caribb & East USA?

What's a good compromise dingy and motor for the Caribbean and east coast USA. We're on a 40ft Najad, no davits. Max available length on foredeck, 2.9m.

We're currently thinking a 2.9m PVC Highfield with a 9.9hp 2 stroke Merc.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:51   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Best tender for Caribb & East USA?

We currently have a 2.9 Highfield Ultralite and really like it (prefer it over the "classic") and a 9.9 Yamaha. Its a good combo but with 2 it only just planes. I'd get a 15 if I could do it again! Neighbour has a 15 on his and it really really moves! a 2 stroke Merc is a decent engine, though as you know, you'll only ind it as a used motor no more 2-strokes available as new purchases in the U.S. I like the integrated shifting and throttle, but my wife doesn't like it, she has a hard time translating the motion if she has to switch sides of the dinghy she's steering from.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:03   #3

Boat: Tartan 4100

There are a lot of threads on dinghies, kinda like anchors!

If your budget allows, a carbon fiber dinghy like the OC Tender 300 is real light and will plane easily with a 9.9 2 stroke with 4 people aboard. The weight of the carbon fiber 300 is just 75lbs/34KG and the smaller 270 model is a mere 64lbs/29KG.
These are fun boats and very stable, I've had mine for just under two years now and am amazed at how well thought out it is. The only downside is the price and the time to get one, but it should be the last dinghy you'll buy as it will outlast the inflatables.

OCT 300:https://octenders.co.nz/wp-content/u...C300-Specs.pdf

OCT 270: https://octenders.co.nz/wp-content/u...C270-Specs.pdf
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:27   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Go with hypalon, it will stand up much better to the UV.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:04   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43

Highfields come highly recommended by owners. The forward locker will get used a lot. As AiniA said, hypalon is superior to PVC for UV protection. If you don't have dinghy chaps, then apply the 303 Aerospace "dinghy sunshade" product periodically.

Based on our East Coast experience, I wouldn't go with less than the 9.9HP (ref. Ft Pierce inlet, Cape Fear River). If your boat can handle it, a 15HP would be better. In the Caribbean, as long as you stay in the bays and harbors, there's an awful lot of even 5HP outboards, and they work fine.

Tags
rib, tender, USA