Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 15:27   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: 2003 Honda 15HP 4-stroke doesn't pee

The fix is to pull the pee hose off the brass fitting coming from the engine and drill the fitting out to one size bigger. This fitting is so small tt gets clogged up all the time. Done this to 4 Hondas and they stay clear much longer. The peeing on Hondas should start right up, with the motor. If using ear muffs make certain you have a them on good with plenty of flow.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 16:14   #17

Boat: Still not big enough..!!!

Our first generation Honda 4-stroke BF75A (Points & condenser technology) with a very low serial number, given to me by a good friend 'as junk' who had locally bought & used it for a kicker on a liveaboard in Yokosuka JA for around five years. It now has to be well over 30 years old, and still, today, has the original impeller near I can tell..!!! The 'tattletale' is on the portside, a very obvious stream very visible IMMEDIATELY after starting. When I received this 'gift' it had been laid-up in a storage facility for seven years with no attempt to clean or preserve it beforehand. Before a first restart, I removed the water jacket covers on both sides of this two cylinder and power-flushed thoroughly with an ordinary garden hose until all the sand was no longer coming out. It was literally impacted with sand. The thermostat was an unrecognizable mass of rust about the size of your thumb. The regional Honda rep in San Diego provided excellent mentoring, documentation, and a new thermostat + fresh spark plugs. Lower end & crankcase oils were changed regularly once I began using it. I have been using this motor every year since the late 1990's on freshwater lakes, and it starts on a pull or two, quiet, no smoke, etc. A wonderful excellent product ....even though I am a diehard Evinrude aficionado from a previous era.
bluewatervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 20:05   #18

Boat: Moody 425

You said you took off the cover and there was no tube? Did you try running it without the cover? There may be water coming out but you don't see it because it might be going down inside instead of outside? If you really don't have water coming out, find out where it should coming from on the motor (inside the cover) and poke inside there with some wire. I get spiders in mine all the time. And when you do find it, measure and buy a hose to take it to outside the cover.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Drummer View Post
You said you took off the cover and there was no tube? Did you try running it without the cover? There may be water coming out but you don't see it because it might be going down inside instead of outside? If you really don't have water coming out, find out where it should coming from on the motor (inside the cover) and poke inside there with some wire. I get spiders in mine all the time. And when you do find it, measure and buy a hose to take it to outside the cover.
Yes, I ran it without the cover and no, I did not see any water nor where it should be coming from. I will take the cover off one more time and check again. I have even looked at an online parts catalogue, looking for a diagram, but no joy.
79rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 18:40   #20

Boat: Moody 425

Look under the fuel chamber from the side. You might be able to see where the hose should connect. I can't get to mine right now but I think that's where it is. If/when you find it, clean it out. Another thought is pull the thermostat to see if that is all gunked up.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 20:08   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The water should come out on the starboard aft side. The pee stream t's of before the thermostat so should run as soon as you start the engine. Having a good flow means the impeller is doing its job but it doesn't mean the engine is cooling. You can have a faulty thermostat or blocked cooling passages and still have a good stream out of the pee hole.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:11   #22

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

I've sucked more sand, mud, and the like I toone of these than I care to admit. Starr with a safety pin or a paper clip and becdure that it isn't just the pee hole or tell tale that us plugged. Then worry over the options. 95% of the time that's the end of it for us.
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:54   #23

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

My 8HP Honda was on an old canoe my father had given me. When I got it I changed oil and checked water. Zip.

Turns out the line was blocked. I pulled line off, shoved a coat hanger through it, works perfectly.

I took a picture of mine not sure how the 15 compares. I find they usually share a common layout in this size. My fitting on engine is aft, port side. Actual pee hole is on starboard side. My middle finger is pointing to hose barb, pointer is on actual hose you need to remove. Pull this hose off and start. If you don't get water here you need to look further up the water chain of command.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170906_074627.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	155458  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:01   #24

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I've used a couple feet of plastic weed-whacker line inserted through the pee hole to clear obstructions. It works great, as it's stiff enough to push out blockages, but flexible enough to get around bends.

I always keep a bit of it in my boat toolbox. And -- when you're out cruising and you see it, you can be appropriately grateful that you are not ashore, whacking weeds. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda