Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2022, 07:34   #271

Re: Zeppelin Bend - next best thing to sliced bread

Thank you SWL and everyone for providing an interesting helpful thread. I finally finished the majority of reading. I’ve been looking for a safe way to connect my halyards to static climbing ropes for solo mast climbing (I plan to use one halyard for ascent and the other as a safety, then reverse those for descent, per Allen’s technique at L36.com). I was planning on using a double or triple fisherman’s bend, but then happened upon this thread. Do you think the Zeppelin bend would fit this bill as a way to secure the halyards to the climbing ropes and then hoist them up? I like that the tails point out at right angles to the working portion allowing me to raise the climbing ropes all the way to the mast head…thanks again!
Chichiflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 17:33   #272
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiflys View Post
Thank you SWL and everyone for providing an interesting helpful thread. I finally finished the majority of reading. I’ve been looking for a safe way to connect my halyards to static climbing ropes for solo mast climbing (I plan to use one halyard for ascent and the other as a safety, then reverse those for descent, per Allen’s technique at L36.com). I was planning on using a double or triple fisherman’s bend, but then happened upon this thread. Do you think the Zeppelin bend would fit this bill as a way to secure the halyards to the climbing ropes and then hoist them up? I like that the tails point out at right angles to the working portion allowing me to raise the climbing ropes all the way to the mast head…thanks again!
The Zeppelin bend is perfectly fine for this.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:00   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The Zeppelin bend is perfectly fine for this.
Not the best angle, but yes indeed, this has kept me suffering from deceleration sickness a few times now. Thanks for sharing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7562.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	252831
Chichiflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 15:50   #274

Boat: Hanse 348

Earlier in this thread, was a listing of the top 6 knots to know.

Seeing this was from 2014, I am wondering if one of the experts here would comment on those knots w regard to dyneema line, or give the top 6 knots using it.

Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 19:57   #275

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Earlier in this thread, was a listing of the top 6 knots to know.

Seeing this was from 2014, I am wondering if one of the experts here would comment on those knots w regard to dyneema line, or give the top 6 knots using it.

Thanks.

Care to supply a link to that post so that we are all talking about the same knots? That would save us all from hunting through over 270 posts
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 06:37   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Care to supply a link to that post so that we are all talking about the same knots? That would save us all from hunting through over 270 posts
Post #47.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post1576306
Old 18-02-2022, 06:39   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
comment on those knots w regard to dyneema line, or give the top 6 knots using it.
Hmmm, ok . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Six knots for sailors that I think are vital (these we should be able to do without thinking and need lots of repetition to become engrained). This will cover you for 90% of knots you need to tie:
Loop: Bowline Not good in bare dyneema, waterbowline or figure 8 loop much better.
Stopper: Figure 8 in bare dyneema Estar stopper is better
Hitches: Rolling, Cleat, 'Round turn & two half hitches' Tugboat hitch is generally better in bare dyneema - edit - Perhaps mis-read - that tugboat is best for cleats and bollards and such and for tieing/untieing under load, icicle is perhaps best for gripper sort of hitches (but not a great idea for slippery bare dyneema), for say snug around a shackle that is exactly what the estar loop was designed for.
Bend: Zeppelin plus variation for when lines are of different diameter Triple fisherman is better way to connect two similar size lines in bare dyneema, but can be hard/impossible to untie and still can slip under high load. I looked long and hard, and involved other knowledgable people and we did not find any really good knot to connect two bare dynnema lines which would not slip and could be untied. My best recommendation is two estar loops tied loop to loop - will not slip but probably will not be able to untie after strong load
If possible/practical in the application, splicing is generally the best solution for bare dyneema
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 12:47   #278

Thank you for this!

I thought a bowline would be OK and distressing to hear it is not. I only say this as I can tie this anywhere anytime. In fact, if I need a bend, I will sometimes just use 2 bowlines tied through each other to attach the 2 lines.

Just looked up waterbowline, and can do that one easily with a bit of muscle memory practice.