Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 14:36   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
winch seat?

I know a hardcore racing sailor with a fast Hobie sloop about 30 ft. On his boat I saw a nifty gizmo: a simple plastic seat mounted to a stem that fits into a standard winch socket. He can turn any winch on his boat into a comfortable seat with backrest.

I thought this was a dandy idea, especially on those long beats when perching on the rail gets tiring. Also nice for motoring in flat conditions with a great view and a breeze in your hair. Or extra seating in the cockpit when company comes over.

So I started looking around, and the only product I can find is from Norway (and they don't seem to market anywhere else). It's a much spiffier version (I think his was DIY), folding and sleek and upholstered.

Tides - The Winch Seat

Does anyone know of any other commercially available seat that mounts on a winch? I may have to DIY myself, I like the idea so much.
Old 01-09-2018, 15:13   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: winch seat?

That’s very smart, but personally I’d probably just find one of the inserts that go in the top of a winch (they’re common for all sorts of things), and then buy an outdoor chair, and bolt them together. Sounds like a pretty easy thing to DIY well.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 20:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
That’s very smart, but personally I’d probably just find one of the inserts that go in the top of a winch (they’re common for all sorts of things), and then buy an outdoor chair, and bolt them together. Sounds like a pretty easy thing to DIY well.
Hmm -- aside from on the end of a winch handle, where else do you find these inserts? I looked at the price of folding plastic chairs for e.g. bass boats and they are affordable, so it wouldn't cost much to put something together. Might be some welding involved?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55   #4

So, I have corresponded with Mathias at Tides, and he can ship me one of his nifty seats for $360 CAD including DHL international freight. That's $276 US as of today.
Seems to me that's not such a bad deal actually, when I think about the number of hours it would take me to fabricate one of my own, plus materials. So if anyone else is interested in these, it appears that Tides will send you one if you are willing to pay for the shipping.

Tags
winch