Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2024, 09:43   #1

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3
Unhappy Wheel cover with pedestal

Hi All!

Where do you shop for wheel cover usually? Nothing complicated just looking for cover for wheel (32 inch diameter) with pedestal. Simple pedestal is in dimension of wheel.

Our local used resale shop has no wheel covers at all Local custom order are quite expensive. Google/ebay is not big help either because result of search "wheel cover" is usually not related with sailboat.

I found that sailrite.com sells kits for about $250 each. That is more reasonable but it is not even fully completed. Is that best option to buy new wheel cover? Is sailrite.com best source if I would like to buy sunbrella by footage?
I can wait delivery from internet but dont want something overpriced.

Do you order it for custom order usually? Or somewhere is store where I can shop by the wheel diameter?

I can easy find multiple sites with sailmakers for any price point by any dimensions and type but not easy to find one that makes wheel cover. I not even sure if I am posting this questions in right group. Please, point me in the right direction. I am struggle.
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 10:24   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Wheel cover with pedestal

Best bet is your local canvas shop. Have the come to the boat and measure for a custom one. You will get the best fit this way. They can reccomend option for it. Make sure it is made out of a high quality Canvas(sunbrella). It will be expensive but will last a long time ,
Old 09-04-2024, 15:23   #3

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Do you want to cover just the wheel or the wheel and binnacle?

If you want to cover just the wheel - then do an Internet search and click the "shopping" button where you'll find several 32" wheel covers from places like Atlantic Rigging (Sunbrella; $121.56), Sound Boatworks (Sunbrella; $126.44), Vela (Sunbrella, $158.05), and others.

If you want to cover the wheel and binnacle - and don't want to hire a local canvas place to make one for you - then watch the on how to measure, pattern, and make one yourself or buy their kit.

Why do you say that the Sailrite kit is "not even fully completed"? To my mind no kit is "fully completed" - which is why they're called "kits." The 5 yards of Sunbrella fabric alone included in the 5' kit costs $194.75; the thread costs $15.95 - so with the patterning material, Sunbrella fabric, zipper, thread, shock cord, etc., it seems like $250 is a reasonably good price for the kit (and no charge for shipping on orders over $199). Otherwise, you may want to order the patterning material (5 yds is $19.25 - but you'll pay shipping), watch the video on how to make the pattern, and then see if you can get by with less than 5 yds of fabric to save some money - but I'd guess that any savings wouldn't be significant.

I've found that Sailrite generally has good, competitive prices on most of their fabrics. You may be able to get Sunbrella for a few pennies less per yard elsewhere - but you'll have to search - and Sailrite is a "one-stop" shop for most of the other materials (thread, zippers, etc.) that you'll need.
Old 10-04-2024, 06:32   #4

I am looking to cover the wheel with binnacle. Actually, the protection of instruments on binnacle is my major reason to find cover from the sun light.
Old 10-04-2024, 07:37   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasvlad View Post

I found that sailrite.com sells kits for about $250 each. That is more reasonable but it is not even fully completed. Is that best option to buy new wheel cover? Is sailrite.com best source if I would like to buy sunbrella by footage?

Sailrite.com is the best source overall that I have been able to find for sunbrealla by the yard. It's expensive :shrug:. If you're good with sewing and have access to a machine, it's an easy project.

Quote:

Do you order it for custom order usually? Or somewhere is store where I can shop by the wheel diameter?

Usually they are included as part of an overall canvas refit. The same shop that does the bimini and the dodger can also make the binnacle cover, and little things like winch covers and handhold covers if you want those. In theory it's not terribly expensive to add them onto an existing project.

Quote:
I can easy find multiple sites with sailmakers for any price point by any dimensions and type but not easy to find one that makes wheel cover. I not even sure if I am posting this questions in right group. Please, point me in the right direction. I am struggle.

You have to find someone local because the cover has to be patterned and fitted. Depending on where you are that can be a big deal, or not. Right now I have my boat at a marina that insists on being the middleman with the canvas shop which drives up the price and slows down the process. I am stuck with DIY if I don't want that. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2024, 08:11   #6

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

You list your boats as a Viko 35 and an S2 7.3. The S2 seems to come with a tiller - so I suppose that you're looking for a cover for the Viko 35. From what I've seen (e.g., this video and other Internet sources) - the Viko s35 has a double wheel setup with a non-traditional 'pedestal'.

If that's the setup you have, then your options are limited. You'll either have to have one/them custom made by a local canvas shop or make your own. If you decide to make your own, I'm not sure that the Sailrite kit (or even the video, for that matter) will be a good solution for a Viko setup - so you'll probably have to make your own patterns (one for each side).

Do you have a sewing machine that will sew heavy zippers on canvas? If not - you may want to pick up a Sailrite (or similar) machine. Setting up will cost about $1,300 - $1,500. Then there's the cost of materials to make the cover(s). [Note: if you plan to use a Sailrite machine on land, then things are simple; if you intend to take the machine on the boat, then things get more complicated.]

Of course, if you set yourself up to sew, then you can make other things (e.g., winch covers, hatch covers, sail pack, sail bag(s), weather cloths, cushions, curtains, etc.) - which, if you don't already have them, could save you money in the long run.

On another note - I've taken a look at several Viko s35 boats for sale on the Internet and didn't see wheel/binnacle covers on any of them. Perhaps you've identified a new home business! Since the Viko seems to be a good seller (at least, in Europe) and has gotten pretty good reviews, the demand for good, reasonably-priced Viko wheel/binnacle covers may be out there! Or ... send your pattern to Sailrite and ask for a royalty on any kits they sell for Viko covers.
Old 10-04-2024, 08:25   #7

Yes, you are correct. I am looking for Viko S35. And yes, as you noticed she is not coming from factory with wheel/binnacle cover. That is why I am looking that. Looks like most reasonable way will be for me will be to buy sailrite kit and find the friend with sawing machine. I am not expecting big business because I am in US and we have probably only two Viko S35 at east cost (mine and one have been arrived to Annapolis show last year.) If somebody from Europe knows any European canvas shop that sell covers for Viko - let me know. Viko is very popular there.
Old 10-04-2024, 13:01   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If all you want is to protect the instrument pod, why not make/have made a much smaller cover, just for it? There is no need to protect the binnacle or wheel from the sun. I've never understood why folks worried about that!

Jim
Old 11-04-2024, 03:07   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

If you're not too picky and don't care so much about having all your canvas matching colors, you might be able to use something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2VV0GC...lig_dp_it&th=1

It's a cover for a round grill. For me since my canvas is all gray it's a good match. There are many different sizes on Amazon, I'm sure you could find one that would fit quite well.

And it's probably about 10% of the cost of having a shop make you one !

Old 11-04-2024, 08:49   #10

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

It would be an easy job to make one. Get an old bed sheet or cardboard that you can cut up to make a pattern. Most sewing shops sell UV thread in colors, do a little looking around for some sunbrella and go to it.

The hardest part is making your sewing machine get through the layers. If you go slow and feed it, it is doable with a household machine.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:25   #11

BBQ Grill cover! They are really different sizes and different materials to choose from (including sunbrella). I think I will be able to choose correct one for me . Thank you @OldMan
Old 15-04-2024, 10:00   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

And if you just want to cover the wheels then buy an RV wheel cover from Amazon. I bought two for less than. $30.

Tags
pedestal, wheel