Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 02:35   #1

What kind of lines can be spliced?

I'm planning on using a low friction ring to alter the angles of the jib sheets. This would mean I need to splice a line around a ring, and then run that through a block and into a clutch that will lock the line in place. Up to now all my splicing has been on dyneema, but I've been told it's not great in clutches.

Is there another type of line I can splice around a low friction ring that'll work in a clutch? I need to get the ring as close as possible to the block, so splicing is the perfect answer.

Alternatively is there a relatively simple way to get dyneema to play nicely in the clutch?
OneTwoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 03:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: What kind of lines can be spliced?

You can get Dyneema with a cover on it that will accomodate the clutch. NER's Endura Braid; Marlow's D2; Lanex's Mistral.
Instructions for a covered eye splice on that sort of rope here:
https://zartmancruising.com/zartman-...ed-eye-splice/

Also, you can strip the cover from the end that's going around the ring, keeping it only in the zone of the clutch.
Old 08-03-2024, 03:50   #3

If there's enough length & travel dyneema splices quite nice into polyester as well
barcoMeCasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 05:02   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If a line like Samson Warpspeed II is within the budget (you only need a small diameter as it’s very strong) then you simply strip t where it doesn’t touch the clutch and you have single braid Dyneema to splice around the ring.

If the budget is a bit stricter, you can opt for a blend of fibers but still strippable like Samson MLX3. In either case it is important that the core has the UV protective coating.

Stripping is easy: with two small fids or marlspikes you open the outer braid and pull the core through in a loop, then pull out the end that will be used without outer cover. Now you cut off the cover, leaving a 16” or so tail. Last step is you splice that tail into the cover, pull it through, taper the end and work it in. Last put a stitched whipping on the transition so it doesn’t come out when flapping around without tension. There’s good videos on YouTube.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 05:33   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As long as you are using an LFR for the barberhauler ring, you might as well run it around another LFR to deflect the line to the jammer. This means you want to strip at least t he last 6 feet of so, since the Dyneema core will run better through the ring.

An inexpensive way to do this is to buy as much Amsteel as you need and then buy Samson XLS just for the cover, using the XLS core to pull the Amsteel into the cover. You then bury the end of the cover. You'll need to read instructions, but it pretty easy.

Mine is set-up to haul both in/down and outboard. The controls are on a loop. Referred to as 3D leads, I don't actually use the track adjustments any more. This is faster and easier.

Old 08-03-2024, 07:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
As long as you are using an LFR for the barberhauler ring, you might as well run it around another LFR to deflect the line to the jammer. This means you want to strip at least t he last 6 feet of so, since the Dyneema core will run better through the ring.

An inexpensive way to do this is to buy as much Amsteel as you need and then buy Samson XLS just for the cover, using the XLS core to pull the Amsteel into the cover. You then bury the end of the cover. You'll need to read instructions, but it pretty easy.

Mine is set-up to haul both in/down and outboard. The controls are on a loop. Referred to as 3D leads, I don't actually use the track adjustments any more. This is faster and easier.
That sounds like a great idea, and thanks for putting a name to what I'm doing, I never knew it was called a barberhauler! In my case I'm looking to do what the red line in your picture does, but I can see the value in having the line that can pull it outwards too. Could you tell me what that low friction ring is called, I prefer it to the type that the line needs to go around?
OneTwoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:49   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwoSail View Post
Is there another type of line I can splice around a low friction ring that'll work in a clutch? I need to get the ring as close as possible to the block, so splicing is the perfect answer.

The advice upthread is all fine but here are some additional options to consider.

1) You can use ordinary double-braid polyester. Though it is more difficult to splice than single-braid dyneema, it can be done, either by you with patience, or by your rigger. XLS3, Sta-set, Blue Ocean Doublebraid, etc.

2) You can use 12-strand single-braid polyester which splices more or less the same way as dyneema (bury length can be shorter), but which works well in clutches. While once common, this is now hard to find. Look for Samson HTP-12 or New England Ropes Regatta Single Braid. There are other makers. Be careful while shopping as there are some single-braid ropes that are not splicable, either because of a parallel core or the use of solid braid.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:21   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The advice upthread is all fine but here are some additional options to consider.

1) You can use ordinary double-braid polyester. Though it is more difficult to splice than single-braid dyneema, it can be done, either by you with patience, or by your rigger. XLS3, Sta-set, Blue Ocean Doublebraid, etc.

2) You can use 12-strand single-braid polyester which splices more or less the same way as dyneema (bury length can be shorter), but which works well in clutches. While once common, this is now hard to find. Look for Samson HTP-12 or New England Ropes Regatta Single Braid. There are other makers. Be careful while shopping as there are some single-braid ropes that are not splicable, either because of a parallel core or the use of solid braid.
You can use Samson Control-DPX which is a single braid Dyneema/polyester blend. I am not very impressed with it as it’s easy to catch a couple strands on something and mess it up.

About using Amsteel Blue with the outer cover from a double braid polyester (XLS3 in Samson speak) is one way, which wastes the core of the XLS3. Another way is to buy both Amsteel Blue and the Warpspeed II that has the same Amsteel Blue core diameter. You strip the cover and then use that stripped cover for the next line with Amsteel Blue.
I was able to just buy polyester cover with a messenger line in the past from Yale Cordage but they discontinued the product.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote