Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 20:19   #1

Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Using Retired Rigging as Lifelines

I am almost done re-rigging my '67 Rawson and was staring at my pile of really-not-bad-looking used 1x19 stainless rope when it occurred to me that it may make excellent lifelines. I will grant you that it's a bit heavy, but I really think that on my 30' tank of a boat the weight differential will be minimal, especially if I just do the top line.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone know a viable reason not to? This also gives me a use for some of the Sta-Loks that I am retiring but that seem ok, certainly good enough to withstand an expected lifeline load.

Thanks in advance for your input!
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 20:25   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Using Retired Rigging as Lifelines

Yes, I've seen it done, and think it is a reasonable approach to lifeline construction. And certainly the Sta-Loks will be good if you replace the cones... and why are you retiring them? They last essentially forever.

We also used some replaced lower shrouds as jack lines on a previous boat. Now worries about either UV damage, strength or stretch with 5/16" 1x19! They didn't roll under foot like cordage does, either!

You will likely get some negative feedback, but stand firm... it is a workable plan!

Jim
Old 21-06-2014, 20:38   #3

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Just had all my plastic covered unreliable lifelines replaced by 1/4" 1 x 19. Looks great and I feel a lot safer being able to inspect lifelines that are not covered in plastic.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 20:50   #4

Boat: 1967 Rawson 30

Thanks, guys. You voiced what I was thinking.

I have a few extras that I inherited plus one or two out of the whole lot that I just didn't like and would feel better replacing. As it is just one or two that made me nervous I am going to listen to my gut and replace them. As many as there are I think I can live with that.

And Jim I really like the jack line idea, too. Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, I've seen it done, and think it is a reasonable approach to lifeline construction. And certainly the Sta-Loks will be good if you replace the cones... and why are you retiring them? They last essentially forever.

We also used some replaced lower shrouds as jack lines on a previous boat. Now worries about either UV damage, strength or stretch with 5/16" 1x19! They didn't roll under foot like cordage does, either!

You will likely get some negative feedback, but stand firm... it is a workable plan!

Jim
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 19:22   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We did it when we built our Westsail 32. Picked up 1/4" 1x19 wire from the trash at a boatyard, price was definitely right. Used Norseman terminals to install. Still on the boat after 40 years in the tropics. The 1/4" wire is large enough diameter that it works fine without a cover and so over strength that failure is a non issue. Not having a cover is probably why it's lasted so long.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 19:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What more valuable; your mast or your life?
Old 22-06-2014, 19:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
I am almost done re-rigging my '67 Rawson and was staring at my pile of really-not-bad-looking used 1x19 stainless rope when it occurred to me that it may make excellent lifelines. I will grant you that it's a bit heavy, but I really think that on my 30' tank of a boat the weight differential will be minimal, especially if I just do the top line.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone know a viable reason not to? This also gives me a use for some of the Sta-Loks that I am retiring but that seem ok, certainly good enough to withstand an expected lifeline load.

Thanks in advance for your input!
HMMMMmmmmmmmmm mine is 3/4 inch. probably not a good plan.

I have noticed that the marina tosses old rigging wire. This might be a source for anyone who needs it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 20:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

So you are taking down wire because it is at the end of its service life to support the mast, and going to press it into service to save a hundred bucks on new lifelines.

Ya sounds like a good plan to me. While your at it I have some old shackles that have rusted if you want to make up some safety tethers with them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 21:01   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Greg, if one uses cast off 5/16 " 1x19 which looks good on the outside, I suspect that it's breaking strength will far exceed that of your brand new 3/16" lifeline material. The potential stress from crew falling against the lifeline is well below the normal preload placed on, say, a lower shroud, let alone the dynamic loads that take out old standing rigging.

I think that it is a reasonable practice if weight is not an issue.

Jim
Old 22-06-2014, 23:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Jim,

I don't disagree with what is likely, but I also don't consider it a reasonable risk. I have seen wire rotted from the inside, or it could be work hardened, or one of a hundred issues. If we were betting $50 I would happily bet that old standing rigging would be fine for years. On the other hand in this case we aren't, and I wouldn't risk my life, or the life of my wife to try and save a few bucks.

Just spend a few minutes considering the guilt you would carry if that wire happen to part as you watch your kid fall overboard into rough seas.

Old 23-06-2014, 01:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You are risking your life if you are relying on the standard coated lifeline wire. The coating is a great way to set up and hide crevice corrosion. Can't tell the serviceability of the wire by looking at it only by falling overboard when it breaks.

Almost all rigging is changed because of problems with or questions about the swages, the wire at the swages, or just because it's time, not the wire itself. In any case, the wire is easily inspected and way stronger than the coated life line wire from the outer outer strands alone.

If you are a rich lawyer fearing lawsuits around every corner, by all means don't use old 1/4" or larger 1x19 wire. Leave it for the rest of us akamai people so we can save some money.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 03:34   #12

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Yep, cut the bits off each end where crevice corrosion is most likely to occur and if the cut ends are free of corrosion
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

You can make a complete set of safe lifelines for a 30' boat for less than $120. There are plenty of places to try and save money, but safety systems just aren't one of them.

Old 23-06-2014, 08:40   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
You can make a complete set of safe lifelines for a 30' boat for less than $120. There are plenty of places to try and save money, but safety systems just aren't one of them.

That's assuming lifelines 24 inches off the deck are actually " safety systems " !!!!!!

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 09:07   #15

I've used bare wire before and wouldn't hesitate to re-use rigging that looked good. It seems to me rigging failures are near the ends usually..? Cut the ends off with new terminations.
SS wire , including the usual plastic covered type, is probably way overkill for lifelines in the first place. It seems stancions bend before the wire breaks, and I don't think a 200 lb body is going to break the wire.
Wow, a 67 Rawson all the way over in Annapolis huh? That was my first offshore boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines, rigging