Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 18:03   #661

Boat: C&C 35 MkIII
Re: Stealth mode - New Generation Ropes

Found it. https://www.southernropes.com/ropeinfo

3-3.5% elongation at break for Stealth. Dux website states: elongation is very low or about 3%.

Anyone have any thoughts about using Stealth for standing rigging?
jroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 23:53   #662

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post

3-3.5% elongation at break for Stealth. Dux website states: elongation is very low or about 3%.

The elongation they refer to as 3-3.5% is stretch. That is a common figure for a variety of UHMWPE lines that have been pre-stretched. But Southern Ropes show creep as fair, which is not good enough for standing rigging. The heat-setting process that was developed to turn SK75 into DUX is a different process and is meant to reduce creep to a value similar to that of steel wire.

Find UHMWPE that is heat-set for creep. DUX and DSM20. Not sure of any others.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:04   #663

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post

There are several types of elongation. Creep is what Dfelsent has described (a slow, irreversible increase in length when a constant load is applied over a long period of time). This is different to elastic elongation, which in this case is given as 3.5% at break load.

Looking at the Southern Ropes booklet, they vaguely state that creep has been “virtually eliminated” due to the process of thermofixation that incorporates “stretching under controlled temperatures with a precise continuous applied load”.

They do not, however, list standing rigging under “applications”.

The easiest thing to do is email Southern Ropes and ask about the figures for creep and the suitability of Stealth Super 12 as standing rigging.

The UK contact email address I used was:
claire@southernropes.co.uk

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:54   #664

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

This is the relevant section in the Southern Ropes Marine Rope Catalogue (a Commercial one was also included) that arrived with the rope I ordered:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65470E58-6DE0-4C36-A825-89542A7860CB.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	228342  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:12   #665

A conversation this morning with Philippa at sales@southernropes.co.uk gives the information that 'creep' in SS12 rigging applications is virtually nil.

She knows her stuff technically and practically, including 2 days hanging on a JSD in the Southern Ocean, and she recommends we/you consider their GP12 product, which undergoes a slightly different process and gives 'longer lifespan' and much less colour fading.
oldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:16   #666
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I would use any of the heat-set offerings from any non-chinese supplier for standing rigging. But then, I have deadeyes and lanyards with a lot of extra take-up, so anything would have to creep far more than the length of a normal turnbuckle before I bottomed out.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:26   #667

Hi!

Just registered, only to reply to this topic, as I have found much help in numerous topics on this page regarding the different synthetic fibres and their use in standing rigging. I ended up buying from CIV. > 1 month now since I stepped the mast again and with the super-12 rigging it is still standing. On my 38 ft, 8 tonne monohull I used 12 mm for the cap shrouds and 10 mm for the double lowers and on the backstay. Will also be fitting an inner forestay in 10 mm. Actually used Acera Amundsen 6 mm for lashings as it was available locally. Must say that I found the latter easier to work with thanks to the stiffness. I tension the rig using turnbuckles, and creep has not been an issue. Actually, there was little, if any, elongation in the beginning. Have only been out sailing in light winds so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it will behave in heavier winds.
Pronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:56   #668

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I have been exploring fishing chandleries again. After a year with little access to stores of any kind, is like letting a kid loose in a toy store .

UHMWPE is being used more and more in the fishing industry and all sorts of ropes that are not usually seen in “marine” chandleries are making an appearance. The huge bonus is that the price is a fraction of that of Dyneema.

I discovered Acera Amundsen the year before last and I am constructing our series drogue from this. I’ve also used it for numerous soft shackles and the portion of our snubber that runs over the bow roller.

The latest rope I have been trying is Southern Ropes Stealth Super 12. It is heat set to minimise creep and improve strength. It has a polyurethane coating for extra abrasion resistance. Breaking strength is superior to Acera (up to 27% greater depending on line diameter!).

As with Acera, it is significantly stiffer than standard Dyneema, with an almost waxy feel to the strands. The huge bonus is that neither of these ropes fluff up during construction, eliminating snagging of fibres. I have used the Acera soft shackles for a year now and this property is retained, which has been brilliant. Handling it, I suspect the same will apply to Stealth 12.

The only drawback is that its stiffness makes tying stopper knots more awkward in both these ropes. This is instantly overcome though if you dip the rope into warm water. It instantly softens dramatically into a floppy state, which reverts to its original condition when it dries.

The stiffness took a little while to adapt to, but it is a sheer pleasure working with it now. I vastly prefer it to the softer types of UHMWPE rope.

I can’t find a lot of technical information regarding Stealth 12 online (figures for creep etc), but this is the breaking strength table:

GP-12 - Stealth Fibre - Fibres

Interesting find. Do you, or anyone else here think or know if this could also be used for DIY rigging instead of the normal hollow braid Dyneema?

Added stiffness should not be an issue and better protection is helping with longevity.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote