Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 20:10   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Spinnaker Pole End Fittings

I need to make up a spinnaker pole for my yacht which is a steel ketch rigged cruising boat. A Roberts Offshore 38 to be exact. I have a 1-1/4" t-track on the front of the mast already to allow vertical storage. The required pole will be 4.2m (13' 9") long, and I am planning to use 80mm (3.15") aluminium tube.

For the outboard end I question whether paying the cost premium for a fitting with an internal trip line is worth it for a cruising boat of this size. In Australia the locally produced Ronstan end fitting (eg RF1663 - see attached picture) is a fraction of the cost of an internal trip line type (eg Forespar Grand Prix or Ultra Series) that I would need to buy in from the USA.

For the inboard end what is peoples experience with fittings & cars to work with vertical storage. It seems the most popular is either Forespar TS Series Socket End with a toggle car, or using Forespars FC-125 Heavy Duty Car along with a normal spinnaker pole end fitting. Do people have views on these options or perhaps have any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF1661.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	106084  
swinsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 21:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Spinnaker Pole End Fittings

I've got both the FC125 and the toggle car pin fitting. The toggle car works great and would go with that if you can pay the freight. Not so happy with the FC125. It's possible to get the pole and car cross wise which puts a tremendous amount of strain on the car's hinges because it keeps them from articulating. Would easily bend or break the car if you don't notice and kept trying to move the pole. The moment arm is so long you don't notice the resistance. if it happens you have to carefully move the pole so the hinges get properly aligned and move freely. Only a problem when the pole is near vertical on the mast. Once the pole is a few feet off the mast and less vertical it works fine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:37   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Spinnaker Pole End Fittings

We have a whisker pole with a Forespar TS Series Socket End with a toggle car at the mast and a Forespar internal trip on the working end of the pole.

It all depends how much you use the pole... I learned in my racing days that standing on a swaying deck trying to manipulate a spinnaker or whisker pole can be trying. A self locking/closing end makes it much easier....

My recommendation is spend the extra money!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker