Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 04:53   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Searig NZ, no longer interested in swageless?

So, heads up for those using Searig Swageless standing rigging gear.

I’ve just spent a frustrating couple of MONTHS trying to get together a list of fittings for a Duncanson 37. At first I thought it was Christmas holidays to blame, then maybe staff on leave in January.

But after about the fifth phone call and countless unanswered emails I finally asked, reasonably politely, what the hell was going on.

In the words of the guy at Searig, “we aren’t really interested in the swageless stuff any more.” He then went on to explain they didn’t have any stock either.

Right. Well, that would have been nice to know back in December, that’s for sure.

So it’s Stalok for the Duncanson and my Kelly Peterson. A pity, because I really liked the Searig stuff, the price was great for a start, and the design was good.

Now my Swanson is ok, because when I rigged it with Searig stuff I bought a complete set of spare cones and ring thingies to allow me to replace the standing rigging from scratch, however others may not have the spares on board.

So, if you have Searig stuff already, I strongly recommend you get hold of spare cones and ring thingies ASAP because it sounds like the product won’t be around for long. And I don’t think they ever got enough of a following for someone to bother tooling up to make parts the way they did with Norseman fittings.

Matt
Old 20-12-2023, 19:34   #2

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38
Re: Searig NZ, no longer interested in swageless?

Fwiw, I just recieved a full set of swageless Searig terminals for a rig replacement. Everything was delivered to Opua, New Zealand, within a few weeks of ordering.

I spoke to them on the phone and they assured me this is a product they are proud of and fully support. Seems like a high quality product and cheaper than the competition for a DIY rerig.
Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 15:45   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Searig NZ, no longer interested in swageless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
Fwiw, I just recieved a full set of swageless Searig terminals for a rig replacement. Everything was delivered to Opua, New Zealand, within a few weeks of ordering.

I spoke to them on the phone and they assured me this is a product they are proud of and fully support. Seems like a high quality product and cheaper than the competition for a DIY rerig.
This is very interesting. Totally at odds with what they told me over the phone, but it’s been a year now, maybe they’ve had a rethink.

I did the Duncanson in Stalok, but I’ll give searig a chance to quote on the KP44, I like their stuff and I like their price. I’ll report back on how it goes.