Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 22:10   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
Ross Norgrove's idea... double main sheet... what we think ?

page 166 - Cruising Rigs...

(see photo )

"...the best mainsheet rig I've ever seen for deep sea work, does away with the traveller, and does the work of a boom vang up to a close reach..."

Actually two separate mainsheets coming from the same bail at the boom end; purchase of each 5:1. in the picture, the leeward mainsheets is working as a vang, the windward positions the boom.

( Gybing is thus particularly simple/safe )

not for racing, nor weekend work, tacking takes some fiddling.

Norgrove states simply " for ocean cruising, it's way ahead of anything I have ever used" .

I am considering re-reeving the main sheet this way : 33' full keel heavy displacement.

What think us?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	84440  
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Ross Norgrove's idea... double main sheet... what we think ?

Quite a number of Multis use this approach, works quite well on them.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:27   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I don't see how this beats a fully rigged traveler with a single mainsheet. He says it himself, tacking takes fiddling.

When tacking, I rarely even touch the mainsheet, just ease the windward traveler control line, walk or reach to the leeward one and tighten it and lock it in, turn the boat. No fiddling.

Unless I need to fall off or harden up on the wind, the mainsheet goes untouched.

But, maybe I've been doing it wrong?

I think having two 5:1's going slack at the same time is a good way to get a rat's nest of lines to untangle.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-07-2014, 06:11   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Used it on one couple of boats, in both cases the sheets fouled the cockpit and helm and it was generally a pain in the... well, actually normally the head and ears, when they got tangled around them while gybing.

The extra friction when easing the sails in light airs was another pain, as was the additional line in the cockpit.

Both boats have since installed travellers forward of the cockpit, one on top of the dodger, and one forward of the dodger.

On the boat pictured the mainsheet is pretty clear of the wheel, and a traveller is not possible with the aft companionway, so on that boat it's probably the best solution. Guess it also depends how you sail. Its very annoying in flukey light conditions inshore. But it does help to easily control a big boom offshore while gybing and dropping the main.

I think a better idea to achieve the same goals of controlling the boom is to fit some sort of preventer tackle that can be rigged where you want it. Rigged aft on the boom to mimic the twin main sheet system, or rigged half way along as a vang. Inshore it can be removed. Or fit a central eye or short horse, and use snapshackles on both sheets so you can shift between a signle central sheet, or twin sheets as it suits.

I have toyed with a combination system that uses a rope clutches to isolate or combine port and stb mainsheet tackles. Something like this may be a way to make the system work better, both tackles combined for short tacking, and isolated for gybing or to precisely control the boom position.

Any Photos of what you have now, and what your thinking of?

Cheers

Ben
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

One other factor, It works better on ketches with the short boom, wide beam combo. It wont work quite as well on your double ender, with the narrow base and long boom. Rig up something temporary and give it a go! maybe you'll like it.

Ross sure wrote a great book, and looks like a nice boat you have. I love those Colin Archers.

Cheers

Ben
Old 08-07-2014, 07:36   #6

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have this system on my cat, where it works great due to the large beam. The 4:1 purchase keeps sheet loads way down so that I rarely have to use a winch. I also have the sheets rigged with snap shackles so that I can take the leeward sheet to a pendant near the chainplates, then moving the windward sheet to the old leeward sheet's attachment point. Works as a vang and preventer, keeping the sail off the cap shrouds. I use a continuous-line mainsheet to keep the cockpit clutter to a minimum. When short-tacking we just leave the boom amidships.

I don't think this system is as suited to a mono with it's narrower beam, though. On our Catalina 30 we have a traveler, and take the vang to the leeward jib track so that it doubles as a preventer.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote