Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Would you like a separate section on CF on "Knots, splicing & bondage"?
Yes 11 61.11%
No 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Would you like a separate section on CF on knots and splicing?

The thread on the Zeppelin bend has resulted in a couple of requests for a separate section on CF for "Knots, Splices (and Bondage )".

In some regards sailors are quick to take on new technology (new materials, electronics, even eventually new anchor design ). In some areas though, we seem to be traditionalists, following methods a little blindly because "it is the way it has always been done". Tying some knots seems to fall firmly in the latter category.

The knots we are currently tying have been in use at least a couple of hundred years and were design for lines of natural fibres that do not slip easily. The better "new" knots that were first in use nearly a century ago have been largely ignored.

Why are we so slow to take on change?
It is not as if some of the currently taught knots are the best. And even some of the basic current knots are not well known or used.

For example, the best options for joining lines of different diameter are pretty pitiful if none the quartet of twin overhands is used. I think there is lots of valuable info from knot tying forums and climbing forums that is simply not filtering through to us. Members may find more discussion on knots useful.

So, would you like threads on knots and splicing lumped into "Sails, Rigging & Hoisting" and "General" as is currently happening, or is anyone interested in a separate section being created for these discussions?

Poll results will guide the mod panel regarding the best course of action.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Would you like a separate section on CF on knots and splicing?

For me it's already covered in Seamanship and Boat Handling.

Would the post "Tying off to a bolard" go in knots or seamanship?

OTOH - there is a "weather" sub-forum so I guess it could be stuck in as a sub-forum to Seamanship.

I think it would be useful to have a "Pocket Cruising" forum or "Small Boat" forum.

I think many thread kerfuffles could be avoided - for example, "You're an idiot if you don't have 300 feet of chain, 60 pound anchor, 1000a/h of batteries and 4 jibs." "Yeah but I have a 22 foot boat..."

Small boat systems, cruising and strategies are different.

OTOH - It could also be duplicative and divisive <sigh> Change is hard!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:08   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'd like to see it as a sub-section under rigging just to make the knot, splicing, and bondage threads easier to access without doing a search.

Same for synthetic rigging.

Thanks for asking.
Old 08-07-2014, 14:02   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day SWL,

Frankly, it does not seem to me to make any difference where the info is posted. I don't look at CF by forum name, rather I poke at "new posts" and scan down the resulting list for subjects of interest. Thus, the existence of your proposed new forum will not have any impact.

For me, part of the interest of CF is the wide range of subjects covered. I would loose out if I only looked at a few listed forums. Further, it seems that many folks are a bit careless about where they post things, so there's another reason for not restricting oneself to specific forums.

I guess this means that I vote "no" on the poll. This does not mean that I don't have interest in your knotty posts!

Jim
Old 08-07-2014, 15:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Jim sums up my thoughts perfectly.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:28   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day SWL,

Frankly, it does not seem to me to make any difference where the info is posted. I don't look at CF by forum name, rather I poke at "new posts" and scan down the resulting list for subjects of interest. Thus, the existence of your proposed new forum will not have any impact.

For me, part of the interest of CF is the wide range of subjects covered. I would loose out if I only looked at a few listed forums. Further, it seems that many folks are a bit careless about where they post things, so there's another reason for not restricting oneself to specific forums.

I guess this means that I vote "no" on the poll. This does not mean that I don't have interest in your knotty posts!

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Jim sums up my thoughts perfectly.
Yep, me too...

No need for a separate section IMO.

Although I would expect bondage threads to appear in the "off topic" section
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-07-2014, 04:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Seems like things are working fairly well as is . Support would have had to be overwhelming to open up a new section.
I will close the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
No need for a separate section IMO.
Although I would expect bondage threads to appear in the "off topic" section
Wot, I am still waiting for a description of the French Zeppelin and its uses .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread

Tags
knot