Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2023, 08:55   #76

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Reefing lines free around the boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Your Dyneema reefing lines chafed through on the reefpoint grommets? I guess everything is possible, they probably had a sharp edge from swaging or something; mine are smooth and the Dyneema looks untouched by them.
Hey s/v jedi, I did not have dyneema as reefing lines. And yes, my clews are suspect although they look fine and are without sharp edges. I was also surprised at the breaks but then again, I had never sailed weeks on end with reefs in. This probably is not such an issue for many, never happened to me sailing locally with temporary reefs in.
I also would try the low friction rings posted above this if I were to redo my setup.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 18:26   #77
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
Hey s/v jedi, I did not have dyneema as reefing lines. And yes, my clews are suspect although they look fine and are without sharp edges. I was also surprised at the breaks but then again, I had never sailed weeks on end with reefs in. This probably is not such an issue for many, never happened to me sailing locally with temporary reefs in.
I also would try the low friction rings posted above this if I were to redo my setup.
Simply switch to Dyneema like Amsteel Blue and the chafing issue is gone

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 21:23   #78

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

OK I understand, I'm sure it would work well, I'll consider it another time because at this point I also do not experience any more chaffing, reefing is super easy smooth and the regular recommended lines are a bit easier to grip/handle, no issue at clutches.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 02:43   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
OK I understand, I'm sure it would work well, I'll consider it another time because at this point I also do not experience any more chaffing, reefing is super easy smooth and the regular recommended lines are a bit easier to grip/handle, no issue at clutches.
Of course, never change a good working system

Dyneema requires doing rope work to add a core to make it thicker where needed, and/or add a cover where you grip/handle or at clutches. It’s more work there, but you win that back because splicing is much quicker and easier.

The end result is an even much more smoothly operating system. There are three main reasons:

- it’s bare Dyneema where it can be, making it a thinner diameter which runs easier through blocks, grommets, low friction rings etc.

- Dyneema is slippery and tough, making it chafe resistant.

- Dyneema is a balanced single braid so it doesn’t twist and end up with knotted loops etc. It was a game changer for reefing lines for me.

Before switching anything to Dyneema, buy some materials and practice pulling paracord into it’s hollow core, splicing eyes with and without Brummel locks and splicing a cover over part of it. There’s good YouTube videos to use as a guide and while doing this you will come up with applications for lines that gave you trouble in the past

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 05:12   #80

Boat: Jeanneau 419

The Dyneema wild hold on the winch I think.

I assume I don't need a cover until the line gets close to using cam lock.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote