Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28   #1

Quartermaster self steering

By chance I got an old Quartermaster self steering which has to be mounted on the rudder itself. It´s hard to find any instructions for this old system. My boat has a straight stern, not inclined as the stern of a Contessa 26, on which the Quartermaster was often used. I am not sure how big the distance between trim tab and main rudder should be.

Thankful for every information!

Jens
Sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 13:05   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Quartermaster self steering

Jens,

I do not know the distance but I know Quartermaster are still in business. Perhaps drop them an email. They might be very happy to support.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 21:44   #3

Sailor3, the Quartermaster is a great windvane for a small cruiser. I used one for about 9000 miles on a Contessa 26. I dont know how much differance the angle of the transome will make, but since all of the force is on the rudder head itself, it might work just fine for you. The light line that drops or raises the latch that puts it in and out of gear came to a small jam cleat on the top of the tiller, and a little forward of that was a large bronze round head screw that stuck up out of the tiller for the (what I called) the fine triming board, which was a reson phenolic board about 12 inches long with 8 or 10 holes in it, and was attached at each end by shock cord to the coaming. The routine was to get the boat sailing well and trimmed up , and then release the latch to engage the vane. Up wind I would engage the trimming board to compensate for a little weather helm. Down wind I would just center the trim board to keep the vane from over steering. In many miles of dead down wind trade wind sailing, I never had an accidental jybe with the Quartermaster. What boat are you going to use it on? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16   #4

Thanks. I will use it on a Jouet Golif. The wooden construction is strong enough, no trouble with it?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51   #5

The whole thing just clamps onto the rudder head. You dont want to bolt it solid in case you catch a pot line or junk in the water and bend the shaft. I caught a few lobster traps in Mexico that made the unit slip and swing up without bending anything. A few minutes with a wrench and it was back in the correct position. I did take a serious knock down in Mexico that almost had the unit come off, but again a few minutes had it back in the right spot. ALWAYS keep a safety lanyard from the vane to a solid spot on the boat! One thing that I have been thinking of, is that if your transome is straight up(or almost) the paddle may be so close to the trailing edge of the rudder that it will be in disturbed water. That could be a problem. Also when you are getting used to the way it steers you can try different size shock cord for the fine trimming board until you get the best results.____barnakiel, Do you have a web address for the Quartermaster Co? I searched a while back and only found a small referance to Jeremy Rogers who built the English Contessas, and that he might have some parts. ________Grant.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47   #6

Thank you for the information. I am sure the Co doesn´t exist any more. Here is a photo of the handbook which I would like to have
http://www.contessazeilers.nl/index....467&Itemid=151
Old 11-10-2012, 13:03   #7

Sailor3, I would suggest looking for an IF forum(International Folkboat), since some of them were equiped with the Quartermaster. Maybe an owner would have a copy of the manual. The other option would be to see if you can locate Jeremy Rogers in England, since I remember reading that he had a few spares for the Quartermaster. I dont know if there is a Contessa forum, but if so, you could inquire there also. Boy, did those photos of the Quartermaster bring back good memories._____Grant.
Old 11-10-2012, 13:10   #8

Good idea, I´ll try.
Old 13-02-2020, 07:22   #9

Boat: Sadler 29

Hi Sailor 3 ,
Did it work ?
I've a vertical transom hung rudder and looking at a Quartermaster ...
Thanks
Edward Surridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self steering, steering