Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 21:22   #1

Boat: Roberts 25' Adventurer
Pedestal Compatibitity Issue

I have a Yacht Specialities pedestal with a Binnacle Compass housing and wish to install a Pedestal Guard in order to mount a chartplotter adjacent to my helm.

My question is (before I fork out a few hundred dollars). Can anyone confirm whether the 4 mounting holes on an Edson top plate align up with the same set of holes of my pedestal. Obviously, this is crucial as otherwise I have no other way of securing the guard.

Also, my binnacle attaches to the top of the pedestal by 4 screws that pass through the side of the binnacle and into the side of the pedestal casting. I was wondering if anyone has worked out how to attach this type of binnacle when a top plate is fitted? Or will I have to acquire a replacement binnacle that utilises the 4 mounting holes that I previously refer to?

Any advice from forum members is as always, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedestal-2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	62155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-plate-1625ST-45.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	62156  

Greg Shakeshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:52   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: Pedestal Compatibitity Issue

I made my own adapters out of 1/4 aluminum plate. It is easy to work with with wood working tools and you can add things like cupholders. Any welding can be done in many machine shops and you can paint the same time you repaint your pedestal
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43   #3

Thanks for your suggestion. I may have to consider this option however, i was also going to look around for a second-hand edison pedestal guard plate if I know in advance that it will fit on my pedestal. The position of the holes appears to be the only limiting factor.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I made my own adapters out of 1/4 aluminum plate. It is easy to work with with wood working tools and you can add things like cupholders. Any welding can be done in many machine shops and you can paint the same time you repaint your pedestal

I did the same 1/4" plate deal for my Cheoy Lee pedestal, which doesn't use chain. Has massive bronze 90* bevel gears with a vertical shaft and cable drum.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:44   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
The Edson plate would not fit mine.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39   #6

My binnacle guard is attached to my pedestal with a bracket made of pieces secured to the pedestal tube itself, and the cockpit table was made to sit on the bracket. Except for the two pieces that bolt around the pedestal tube the rest of the bracket appears to be standard railing fittings - you could make one to fit any size binnacle guard with any standard size tubing. I'm getting a new binnacle guard made and the bracket is at the welder's shop at the moment, I'll take pictures of it when I go over there this week and post them for you.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post
My binnacle guard is attached to my pedestal with a bracket made of pieces secured to the pedestal tube itself, and the cockpit table was made to sit on the bracket. Except for the two pieces that bolt around the pedestal tube the rest of the bracket appears to be standard railing fittings - you could make one to fit any size binnacle guard with any standard size tubing. I'm getting a new binnacle guard made and the bracket is at the welder's shop at the moment, I'll take pictures of it when I go over there this week and post them for you.
Thanks very much, I look forward to seeing the photos. Unfortunately, whilst I am a keen Do It Yourselfer, when it comes to making stuff out of metal, my knowldge is non-existent which is why I was considering the second-hand market but before I do, I need to know which bits fit with what I've got already.
Old 14-06-2013, 05:37   #8

Here you go.

Name:	bracket.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	62508

Name:	<a title=parts.JPG Views: 144 Size: 85.0 KB ID: 62509" style="margin: 2px" />
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal