Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 13:16   #1

Boat: Passport 43
Passport 43 water in the gutter

I have a passport 43 that has the same deck layout as the Passport 40. There are two deck drains on each side that drain most of the water from the deck especially when the boat is flat. When water is coming over the bow or when healed over on a tack significant amounts of water can pool at the aft end of the gutter, at times this will spill over into the cockpit. To other Passport owners I would like to pose this question "How have you solved this problem?" I have considered adding another drain at the aft end of the deck or even cutting in a scupper. Advice is welcome!

Jeff
PassportJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 07:57   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Passport 43 water in the gutter

PJ,
We have the same problem on our Pearson 34-2. It is, in my opinion, a design flaw since the collected water, on my boat, keeps a stanchion submerged in water even when sailing. An extra scupper that is Teed to your forward scupper will work as long as the extra hole in the deck doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the deck. However, we have lived with this "flaw" for 21 years with no deck leaks or damage. Maybe someday I'll add another scupper. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 22-11-2016, 22:24   #3

Boat: Passport 40

I have a Passport 40, and do feel that though the high sides are great for many things, they suck at letting water out; being sailing or being just washing the deck with a hose. Those cockpit drains in the aft part just don't cut it inmo. I was thinking of making some side deck drains in the middle just to get some of the water out, but haven't figured out a way to do it
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 16:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I have a Passport 40, and do feel that though the high sides are great for many things, they suck at letting water out; being sailing or being just washing the deck with a hose. Those cockpit drains in the aft part just don't cut it inmo. I was thinking of making some side deck drains in the middle just to get some of the water out, but haven't figured out a way to do it

I am in the process of drilling a 1" hole from the aft end of the gutter to outside of the hull. The nuisance water should flow out easily. I know the compromise is there will be a "watermark" down the hull to the waterline, but I will live with that. I will be glad to send pictures of the completed project if you contact me.
Old 25-03-2017, 16:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassportJoy View Post
I am in the process of drilling a 1" hole from the aft end of the gutter to outside of the hull. The nuisance water should flow out easily. I know the compromise is there will be a "watermark" down the hull to the waterline, but I will live with that. I will be glad to send pictures of the completed project if you contact me.

Oh I neglected to say I will use a fiberglass tube as my "scupper" and glass it in on both ends.
Old 25-03-2017, 16:58   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassportJoy View Post
Oh I neglected to say I will use a fiberglass tube as my "scupper" and glass it in on both ends.
On a lot of non-recreational vessels, the "tube" used for the scupper extends out a small distance past the gunwale, so that the water running out of it never touches the hull. Ergo staining is minimized or eliminated.

In your case you could simply cut the outboard end of the FRP tubing at a bevel on the horizontal, & then sand down the pointy part of the tip a bit. Still leaving enough hanging out beyond your topsides so as to minimize staining drips striking the hull.

Make sense? It would literally function like the downspout on a rain gutter, that carries the runoff 1-3m away from the house.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 19:31   #7

UNCIVILIZED,

That is a great idea about extending the tube on a bevel to send the water off the topsides and I will defiantly take your advise. I am not sure if I can post a picture here but I will fro sure post one on Instagram. Thanks for the great tip!

Tags
water