Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2021, 07:21   #61

Re: Milwaukee Right Angle Drill as anchor winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
There are also dedicated electric winch handles available, but you left one item off your list of uses which they don't fulfill, ie drilling.
And not to forget the price. Fi; a Winchrite is double the price compared to the Milwaukee. (the big one)
Broes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:26   #62

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broes View Post
We use the Milw.Super Hawg 18V with a 4Ah battery. I bought a crank from theCranker.com and I modified it to fit the head of the machine instead of the original drill holder. Pay attention, the thread of the centre bold is right so to screw it out you turn right ! Advantage of this set up is that the machine is closer tot the winch. If you do not pay attention you break your sheets as once happened. We also have the smaller model for the mainsheetwinch. Under heavy loads it hasn't enough power. But the big one... be aware. Winches are lewmar 65 for a 49 sqm high aspect.
First we had the small cranker, pict d. To light and due to metal stress it bends under heavy loads after a while.
The big one is my spare should the anchor winch fail. It easily pulls the the boat (20ton) forward to the anchor and pulls it up. (Rocna 33 kg with 100 m chain 10 mm)
This Milwaukee is the most powerful on the market. Never use a normal drill, I tried it all out and it is dangerous due to the small force arm.

Wow! That's one mean machine!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 15:39   #63

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

That's interesting, which anchor windlass do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broes View Post
We use the Milw.Super Hawg 18V with a 4Ah battery. I bought a crank from theCranker.com and I modified it to fit the head of the machine instead of the original drill holder. Pay attention, the thread of the centre bold is right so to screw it out you turn right ! Advantage of this set up is that the machine is closer tot the winch. If you do not pay attention you break your sheets as once happened. We also have the smaller model for the mainsheetwinch. Under heavy loads it hasn't enough power. But the big one... be aware. Winches are lewmar 65 for a 49 sqm high aspect.
First we had the small cranker, pict d. To light and due to metal stress it bends under heavy loads after a while.
The big one is my spare should the anchor winch fail. It easily pulls the the boat (20ton) forward to the anchor and pulls it up. (Rocna 33 kg with 100 m chain 10 mm)
This Milwaukee is the most powerful on the market. Never use a normal drill, I tried it all out and it is dangerous due to the small force arm.
Old 02-02-2021, 23:59   #64

We have a Maxwell (Maxwell) anchor winch 1700 watt/12v with capstan. I checked on there website and unfortunately out of production.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:00   #65

Boat: Farrier 24ft Trimaran

As Milwaukee now makes a lot of their tools on China, my first thought is to throw the drill overboard and use it as an anchor. It will probably last longer in salt water..... I unfortunately own 5 of their Chinese made drills.
Gemini369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:29   #66

Thumbs up Re: Milwaukee Right Angle Drill as anchor winch?

The two Milw's we have are 5 years old and never had problems with it.
With a 4Ah battery we do around 50 tacks in a strong breeze. They never get tired. Also my other tools are Milw's and I love them.
I couldn't miss the super hawg anymore on the boat. We use them for everything. Hall out of the main and jib. Stowaway jib and main. Sheets for jib and main. Hoisting spi. It is super.
The new purpose : spare anchor :-)
Old 03-02-2021, 14:00   #67

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini369 View Post
As Milwaukee now makes a lot of their tools on China, my first thought is to throw the drill overboard and use it as an anchor. It will probably last longer in salt water..... I unfortunately own 5 of their Chinese made drills.
Gosh, I guess I should have talked to you before buying our 28 V Millie eight years ago. Would have saved a lot of money... but on the other hand, she is still working just fine... and we cruise full time, so she is exercised regularly. The batteries are showing some loss of capacity of late, but one still gets us through a full day of sailing, or me up the mast once.

Milwaukee may sell some shoddy gear, but this model ain't one of them.

Jim
Old 11-02-2021, 13:55   #68

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Looking at the photos of that windlass, the offset hole appears to be the shape of a winch drive socket and the central one appears round... that's the basis of my thoughts.

I vaguely recall one of the Maxwell models that had a winch socket at the central point. IIRC it was used to set/release the clutch... but maybe the manual over ride too?? I dunno...

Jim
I have a Nilsson V2200. It's probably a bit bigger than the OP is looking for, and I dont know if you can call it reasonably priced.

But it does have a Central manual drive, ie through the reduction. I have never thought of using a Milwaukee to operate it but I cant see why it wouldnt work. You'd have to make up a drive to fit in the drill chuck but that wouldn't be terribly complex.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210211-165125_Drive.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	232319
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:47   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
That's interesting, which anchor windlass do you have?
Franziska,

Not use if its worth chasing after this, but its sure is nice. Note the chain size which might be a problem unless you are willing to change that too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simpson-L...8AAOSw79JgOn8y

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancorman.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	233538  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:13   #70

Thanks Pete, that's the same model like the one you have and you are happy with since many years, isn't it?
In that case I am seriously thinking about buying it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Franziska,

Not use if its worth chasing after this, but its sure is nice. Note the chain size which might be a problem unless you are willing to change that too.

Pete
Old 28-02-2021, 15:28   #71

Bought it, thanks for spotting it Pete!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Franziska,

Pete
Old 01-03-2021, 14:32   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Given its age, I would take it apart and grease up the shaft inside. Its a plain bearing but still needs a thin coat of grease each year. This looks like a slightly newer model than mine with or it could be mine has been in the sun for 32 years. Down inside the centre winch fitting is a rubber bung. Under this is a screw which holds the drum on.

It has a clutch for lowering rope or chain, but I can never remember to use it so tend to just lower the chain by hand.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:42   #73

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thats right, but the windlass can only serve one specific purpose while the drill has a lot of uses.

-winching me up in the mast
-lifting the anchor
-pulling up the dinghy
-pulling up the mainsail
-helping with the winch
[/B]
And, believe it or not, drilling holes. There's been many a time when I wish I had an angle drill. Just the other day in fact. They're a little awkward drilling a hole where you don't need the angle but indispensable when working in a tight space.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 00:50   #74

Agreed, but you have seen the size of angle drill we are discussing here?
Hardly for tight spaces :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
And, believe it or not, drilling holes. There's been many a time when I wish I had an angle drill. Just the other day in fact. They're a little awkward drilling a hole where you don't need the angle but indispensable when working in a tight space.

Tags
anchor, winch