Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 05:01   #46

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Milwaukee Right Angle Drill as anchor winch?

If you install a mechanical windlass which uses a standard winch handle for cranking in the anchor rode, then you could utilize an electric winch drill in place of the handle to do the cranking for you.

There are battery operated winch drills available on the market. ( https://www.ewincher.com/en/​ ).

Or you could make your own adapter and use a right angle Milwaukee drill as described...

You could also use the same to tension halyards / sheets as well.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:08   #47

Boat: Catalina 30

More info for using a drill to crank a winch / mechanical windlass:

YouTube: Guy in Boston using a Makita drill with adapter:

Winch adapter: https://www.thecranker.com

Another Winch adapter: https://www.velasailingsupply.com/ha...drill-adapter/
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:58   #48

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks, unfortunately the standart winches do not allow a chain gipsy, otherwise it's a good idea.

Regarding the drill, the ewincher seems overpriced, but still it is good to mention it as option.
For the anchor it would definitely need something like the Milwaukee angle drill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
More info for using a drill to crank a winch / mechanical windlass:

YouTube: Guy in Boston using a Makita drill with adapter:

Winch adapter: https://www.thecranker.com

Another Winch adapter: https://www.velasailingsupply.com/ha...drill-adapter/
Old 01-02-2021, 09:10   #49

Boat: Schucker 436 1977 39’+

I didnít read all of these post so if this reflects another I apologize.
A 1/2 inch drill has a ton of torque and if it binds up it could easily break you wrist , crush fingers etc before you let go of it.
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:00   #50

Thanks.

In any case this is only to be used to pull the anchor up once it's free. Definitely not to pull the boat or break the anchor out. That should never be done by a windlass in any case.

The fix would be a simple bracket where it can rest. Btw. the Milwaukee has a slip clutch if it's overloaded.

Still, as mentioned above it's not certain it would work at the moment I am looking at potentially abandoning the idea.
98% of the manual windlasses are not suitable because they are not driven along the center axis.

There are two by Muir though which might work. I am checking with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
A 1/2 inch drill has a ton of torque and if it binds up it could easily break you wrist , crush fingers etc before you let go of it.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:10   #51

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I agree with Jim. We have an older Muir Atlantic windlass and the center socket is the clutch for free fall lowering and tightening up for retrieval. The offset socket is for manually raising the anchor/chain with a winch handle.

Of note is that the pawls need to be placed correctly in the carrier (they can go one of 2 ways), to allow manual retrieval while not engaging the gearbox.

You could, I guess, just raise the chain by running the drill on the center shaft, but this works on just the clutch and could result in over tightening or damage to it. Not recommended by Muir in any case.

They may have different models now with the center socket able to raise manually; I haven't kept up on the latest offerings.
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 14:13   #52

I suspect that, even on low-gear, it won't have the torque. Look for gearmotors from surplus warehouses, or eBay
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 14:57   #53

Actually it's got 136Nm torque. That's quite a lot.
Remember all we want is to lift at max 16kg anchor & 50m of 8mm chain.

You can easily lift a 65kg person up to the top of a 20m mast with it.

No boat pulling. To break the anchor loose, we run over it with a short chain. If that does not suffice, we could try the manual handle, but that unlikely to be better.

Once it's loose use the Millie to lift it. At least that is the basic idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
I suspect that, even on low-gear, it won't have the torque. Look for gearmotors from surplus warehouses, or eBay
Old 01-02-2021, 19:32   #54

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailm8 View Post
Slightly off topic. If you plan to lift someone up the mast using the Milwaukee drill I could not lift a 180lb man up the mast with a single speed a winch

No, the Milwaukee M28 drill I think works best with two speed winchs. Even at slow speed it's too fast for a single speed winch. All (3) of my winches are two-speed and the drill is wonderful - but it has to be run in reverse to get the winch low speed which causes the chuck to loosen and the winch bit to fall out every once in a while. I'm sure it's going to go overboard one of these times.

Does anyone have a solution to THAT problem? I really don't want to epoxy the bit into the chuck as I occasionally use the M28 as a drill.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 19:34   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post

Yup. I can attest to that. You have to be really careful.
Old 01-02-2021, 21:21   #56

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

Since the topic has come up, I've used both the 28 volt and 18 volt (super hawg) versions of the Milwaukee right angle drill, usually just to power my main halyard winch. The 28 volt version was excellent, but if you are not careful you can break a small set screw in the chuck if you run it in reverse under load. I sold it and purchased the 18 volt version because almost all my other Milwaukee tools run on 18 volt batteries, and no others ran on 28 volt batteries. I saw no difference what so ever in power with the 18 volt tool and it doesn't have the problem with the set screw in the chuck. It is heavy, so I use the 5 ah batteries instead of the larger ones to keep the weight down. Both are fantastic tools.Milwaukee also has a regular drill with equivalent torque, but I would be really leery of the injury this could cause if you tried to apply that degree of torque without the lever arm of the larger tool.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 22:00   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
No, the Milwaukee M28 drill I think works best with two speed winchs. Even at slow speed it's too fast for a single speed winch. All (3) of my winches are two-speed and the drill is wonderful - but it has to be run in reverse to get the winch low speed which causes the chuck to loosen and the winch bit to fall out every once in a while. I'm sure it's going to go overboard one of these times.

Does anyone have a solution to THAT problem? I really don't want to epoxy the bit into the chuck as I occasionally use the M28 as a drill.
Solution is to use a winch drive that goes into the chuck, and to put the chuck onto the spindle with loc-tite. I did the loc-tite trick about six years ago, after breaking several of the bloody 1/4-20 LEFT HAND cap screws, and have not had further problems, and I use it under heavy load in both directions.

Jim
Old 01-02-2021, 22:08   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Solution is to use a winch drive that goes into the chuck, and to put the chuck onto the spindle with loc-tite. I did the loc-tite trick about six years ago, after breaking several of the bloody 1/4-20 LEFT HAND cap screws, and have not had further problems, and I use it under heavy load in both directions.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try.
-Bill
Old 01-02-2021, 23:20   #59

We use the Milw.Super Hawg 18V with a 4Ah battery. I bought a crank from theCranker.com and I modified it to fit the head of the machine instead of the original drill holder. Pay attention, the thread of the centre bold is right so to screw it out you turn right ! Advantage of this set up is that the machine is closer tot the winch. If you do not pay attention you break your sheets as once happened. We also have the smaller model for the mainsheetwinch. Under heavy loads it hasn't enough power. But the big one... be aware. Winches are lewmar 65 for a 49 sqm high aspect.
First we had the small cranker, pict d. To light and due to metal stress it bends under heavy loads after a while.
The big one is my spare should the anchor winch fail. It easily pulls the the boat (20ton) forward to the anchor and pulls it up. (Rocna 33 kg with 100 m chain 10 mm)
This Milwaukee is the most powerful on the market. Never use a normal drill, I tried it all out and it is dangerous due to the small force arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milwaukee a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	231788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Milwaukee b.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	231789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Milwaukee c.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	231790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Milwaukee d.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	231791  

Broes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:52   #60
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

There are also dedicated electric winch handles available, but you left one item off your list of uses which they don't fulfill, ie drilling.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, winch