Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 17:16   #1

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'
Metal on Metal Wear-N-Tear (aluminum)

My davit is a hoist type made from Aluminium and the half inch eyes that hoist the tender above the water at the stern have been repaired by a welding shop. I'd like to avoid the same exercise in another 5 years. Is there some sort of lubricant or material that can prevent the steel block and tackle turnbuckle form wearing away the aluminium eye holes? My first thought was graphite or WD40 but I have no clue. Thanks in advance for your help.
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:25   #2

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Re: Metal on Metal Wear-N-Tear (aluminum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwells36 View Post
My davit is a hoist type made from Aluminium and the half inch eyes that hoist the tender above the water at the stern have been repaired by a welding shop. I'd like to avoid the same exercise in another 5 years. Is there some sort of lubricant or material that can prevent the steel block and tackle turnbuckle form wearing away the aluminium eye holes? My first thought was graphite or WD40 but I have no clue. Thanks in advance for your help.
Lubricant won't help to any appreciable extent.

That type of elongation and eventual mangling of aluminium eyes by steel hooks can be minimized or even stopped outright by the insertion of a stainless steel eyelet into the aluminium alloy. Then it's steel-on-steel instead of steel-on-alloy.

It's fiddly to do and therefore more expensive than simply making the eyes beefier or replacing the eye tang ever so often.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:53   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Ease the edges of the aluminum holes so that they're rounded over (bullnosed), & have no sharp corners or burrs, & then hang the blocks using Spectra lashings. Then just routinely inspect the Spectra for wear, & replace as needed.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Lube will help, something like waterproof grease so rain doesn't wash it away.
WD-40 is useless as a lube. WD stands for water displacement and got its start after a hurricane in Texas. It's made to dry out breakers/electrical equipment and evaporates quickly leaving very little oil.
Suppliers that cater to machine shops have many bushings of different metals and sizes. Probably available on line. It's not that difficult to drill out the aluminum and insert a bushing of a more durable metal. If you do it right, you freeze the bushing and when it's installed it expands and makes a tight fit.
Or find an aluminum shackle and hook to it. Each will wear, but takes twice as long.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 20:33   #5

Boat: Allures 44

What Uncivilized said.

We use nylon climbing straps because the "eyeholes" are "slot" shaped, but if they were round I'd use a dyneema loop or soft shackle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davits.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	148882  
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:27   #6

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'
Metal on Metal Wear-N-Tear (aluminum)

In the absence of a store I made due with an old piece of SS stansion, hacksaw and vice grips to fabricate bushings. Will do in a pinch till we are back in the states.
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum