Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 05:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Mast boot and/or Spartite

Yanking the rig in a few weeks to replace the rigging. I am getting some leaks through the mast partners and was wondering if anyone has a good quality mast boot to recommend and/or whether Spartite is a good option.

Thanks for your thoughts.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Mast boot and/or Spartite

I will be interested in seeing the answers to this one as we will be doing the same thing next year.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:45   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I've had a Spartite seal on my main mast for 11 years and two ocean crossings with no leaks. The mast has been pulled once in that time. The original boot probably could have been replaced and made to work, but I'm very satisfied with the Spartite solution. You will still need a boot on the mast, but it doesn't need to be water tight. Unless they've changed the Spartite formula, UV will eventually destroy it. All that is needed is a Sunbrella cover around the mast and deck collar

John

Edited to add: The Spartite collar in itself is not water tight. You do need to apply a sealant around the mast and the deck to keep water out.
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:06   #4

I also have a T-37 with a keel stepped mast and over the years have experienced leaks. Initially when putting on a new boot it does fine, but as time goes by leaks develop. I've used canvas, mast boot tape and even considered cutting up my old wetsuit to try to remedy the situation. Two years ago I used the universal mast boot and it seems to be holding up fine. I'll be at the boat this next week and see if any leaks are present. The main thing is to make sure you get a good seal along the top of the boot with a proper caulking. I also did not buy a new giant hose clamp and just used some cable ties around the top and bottom of the boot. UV will affect the ties and replacement will be necessary with time.

The spartite is not meant to be watertight and I did not go that route. It is a good product and helped a neighbor to put spartite on his boat a few years ago. The advantage of the spartite over other products is that it can stay in place when the mast is removed. When I remove the mast the caulking that I put around the mast partners will have to be removed and reapplied. If I was removing the mast routinely I would go with the spartite, but spending over a hundred on that product vs a tube of good caulking seems like the cheaper route is better. Good Luck.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09   #5

Boat: csy 37

My mast goes through an oversized "throat" on the deck which made it impossible to use store-bought collars. So I bought an inner tube from a tire store and fashioned a collar which I secured with worm clamps. Then covered it with sunbrella to match the sail covers.

Ten years on and the rubber is still good but the sunbrella is starting to show its age.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:37   #6

spar tight is a great product and easy to use.

we would also suggest you get an inter tube of the same diameter as the mast. cut off a section slide it over the mast before stepping then hose clamp it to the mast and insert it under your deck partners mast ring or whatever arrangement you have on the exterior deck. mine has lasted 22 years with the addition of a little sunbrella skirt to keep the sun off
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:55   #7

Boat: csy 37

Bsurvey, darn near impossible to find a suitable inner tube the same diameter as your mast - unless you happen to own an old four masted clipper ship. I cut mine into a very wide strip and then wrapped it around the base tightly before securing it with giant hose clamps.

AND, you don't have to unstep your mast to put it on!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03   #8

Motorcycle inner tube will work fine
Lots of diameters
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 16:32   #9

Spartite worked for me. Darn thing leaked from the day I got it.. Finally got around to the spartite and stopped it cold. Painted it, booted it and never leaked again

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 16:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Spartite!!!

We have used it on every keel step mast in the family for over 20 years and never had a problem. The one thing I would highly recommend first however is to hire a local racing pro to come out and do a full mast tune from the mast base up. Once the ST is poured it is virtually impossible to ever get the rig tune right if it was done properly the first time. I can't tell you how many times I have knocked an old plug off because the owner didn't get the tuning right and finally wanted their boat to sail strait.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast