Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 20:22   #16

Re: Main topping lift from mizzen mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Purely by definition, a topping lift supports the boom on the respective rig, not the boom of an adjacent one. Running a line from the mizzen, such as a stay sail halyard, to support the main boom is nothing more than a poor man's boom gallows.

The same thing is sometimes done on a sloop rig with a small line running from the back stay to support the boom. These setups are not topping lifts.
Gets my vote. The argument here is just the degree to which this is NOT a topping lift.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:22   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Of course, I want my topping lift from my main masthead when I drop the main, but after putting the main away, I support my main boom from a point aft.
I know this is not actually having the topping lift from the mizzen and I do see fault with that; however, the mizzen can be used for topping lift adjustments.
Well, you'll notice that I'm in agreement with you guys. I have a standard topping lift and I'm just supporting my boom to lift it while at anchor or docked.
Old 03-04-2016, 17:49   #18

Thanks for all the input guys.

My principal point was that it would be useless as an actual TL but would work as a boom gallows. The other guy swore he's seen it many times used as a working TL ...
I think there's a chance of losing the mizzen if you try to reef in a blow with a setup like this, and getting around the business end must be a lot of fun in strong winds. Yes, some ketch folks drop the main as a simple reef. But it's a big first reef ?

There's a competitive edge to working with this particular guy and I wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing out the opinion based on who said it, rather than fact...
Thanks again....
Gringo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 18:40   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo44 View Post
...................... Yes, some ketch folks drop the main as a simple reef. But it's a big first reef? ....................
Maybe not. Much depends on the size and weight of the vessel as well as the relative size of the mizzen to the main and the aspect ratio of the main. We usually consider using the working jib instead of the genoa over twenty kts. and then, depending on conditions, maybe drop the main at thirty. It depends on the point of sail, where we're headed and our mood too. Ninety percent of the time none of these choices are made because we are usually only taking short hops in the best of weather. We have our cruising chute up in 5 to 10 more often than we're dropping the main! Then again, we have absolutely no aversion to motoring when we please.

Tags
lift, mast