Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 14:56   #1

Low friction rings for furling line

I purchase a couple of antal low friction rings that I would like to use for my furling line, but I am not sure how to attach them to my stanchions.

I found this one image from cruising world that shows what I would like

Can anyone point me to a resource for tying this type of knot?
Thanks
Denis
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:23   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Low friction rings for furling line

Search Animated Knots for a lashing knot. I start with a knot around the outside of the low friction ring.

Matt
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisHeinrichs View Post
Do you still need help with this, or do you have it all sorted?

It is not hard or complex - I could take a series of step by step photos if you needed.

There are multiple ways they can be done . . . but a simple one is:

(1) tie cord around outside of ring (with perhaps buntline hitch, or spliced loop)
(2) wrap around the stanchion and back around outside of ring to create the top and bottom loops around the stanchion as shown in your drawing.
(3) then make a constrictor knot around cord in between the ring and stanchion - this tightens up the whole thing and makes it solid.
(4) the loose end you can tuck away or sew down to make it clean
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisHeinrichs View Post
I purchase a couple of antal low friction rings that I would like to use for my furling line, but I am not sure how to attach them to my stanchions.

I found this one image from cruising world that shows what I would like

Thanks
Denis

It looks like two pieces of line. The first is a dyneema loop that goes around the ring, behind the stanchion, and back around the ring.

The second lashes around the first between the ring and the stanchion. As long as line #1 is the right size this works. Too long and the lashing is HUGE. Too short and the lashing does bot have enough wraps.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
two pieces of line. . . . . dyneema
There is really no reason to use Dyneema here. The strength requirements are low. And Dyneema slipperiness makes any bury's and the lashing more difficult. This is an application where dacron is preferred over dyneema.

It can be done with 2 lines but there is no advantage to using two lines over one. If you use two lines the strop around the lfr/stanchion will have to be a bit slack to slip over the lip of the lfr, while with one line you can get everything tight.

This is real simple, does not need to be overthought.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:25   #6

I have not tried any ideas yet, but am heading down to the boat in a few hours....all my line and the rings are there, so I haven't tried anything yet.

Breaking Waves....I get the idea from your description...no need to go through the trouble of pictures.

For what I need this for, just about anything would work.....I agree that there is no need to overthink this.

Thanks All for your suggestions!
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:43   #7

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

Practical Sailor has a recent article bout this subject with a few different solutions.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:53   #8

good luck

you are primarily looking for grip and friction, so a smaller diameter line with more turns is better than a larger diameter with fewer turns
Old 05-06-2021, 10:02   #9

Boat: no boat any more

I expect (slight) poultice corrosion where the line circles the stanchion
Old 05-06-2021, 10:31   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
There is really no reason to use Dyneema here. The strength requirements are low. And Dyneema slipperiness makes any bury's and the lashing more difficult. This is an application where dacron is preferred over dyneema.

It can be done with 2 lines but there is no advantage to using two lines over one. If you use two lines the strop around the lfr/stanchion will have to be a bit slack to slip over the lip of the lfr, while with one line you can get everything tight.

This is real simple, does not need to be overthought.

LOL. A few issue my friend.

First I was interpreting the photo provided by the OP. Second, splicing dyneema loops is easy with the right tools and skills. Third I have dyneema life lines with lashings at the pulpit and pushpit. 2 years in and no issues. And yes they will be replaced ina year or so.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 05-06-2021, 10:47   #11

Quote:
LOL. A few issue my friend.

First I was interpreting the photo provided by the OP. Second, splicing dyneema loops is easy with the right tools and skills. Third I have dyneema life lines with lashings at the pulpit and pushpit. 2 years in and no issues. And yes they will be replaced ina year or so.
and lol right back at you.

These loops you want to make here would be quite short and getting proper bury length would be a bit of a challenge. Sure there are work arounds but there is no reason to go to the effort. Dacron is fully fine for this application.

Sure your solution could be made to work, but it is both harder and more expensive than necessary. Was not trying to be critical of you, but rather trying to help the OP find the best solution for him - so Peace brother.

Lots of potential solutions here - I'm sure the OP will find a simple way that works.

as an aside - you might want to double-check who you are responding to I do actually happen to know a bit about dyneema and about lifelines (like I wrote the original USSailing guidance on them)
Old 05-06-2021, 13:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post

as an aside - you might want to double-check who you are responding to I do actually happen to know a bit about dyneema and about lifelines (like I wrote the original USSailing guidance on them)
Because your profile does not have a link to a website, or other info, it was unclear if I was responding to a competent party like yourself or a couch sailor. Therefore, I could not "double check".

Its all good. This is one of those cases where there are multiple correct answers.
Old 05-06-2021, 19:25   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Because your profile does not have a link to a website, or other info, it was unclear if I was responding to a competent party like yourself or a couch sailor. Therefore, I could not "double check".
If were any kind of "knotaholic" and had followed the numerous threads discussing knots in modern fibres, soft shackles, LFR strops, dyneema rigging, dyneema lifeline etc, you would certainly have known who you were responding to

BW has been providing a great deal of invaluable advise on CF in these areas for years, including much data on strength testing he has personally performed,
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:23   #14

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Check the Boy Scout Handbook for a square lashing. I'd use a medium weight seine twine.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:40   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

An interesting discussion on knots and rope, but how much is the antal ring and half a metre of double braid and how does it compare with a standard stanchion block?

Admittedly I could only afford one Harken so the others are spinlock but at £18 it was a quick fix that made a huge improvement.

Worth stating that again. The original blocks had worn after 3 decades and a couple had seized. The reduction in friction was very noticeable and the furling line is back to being an easy pull hand over hand rather than round the winch.

https://jimmygreen.com/348-stanchion...-and-fairleads
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling