Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 21:30   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Lewmar Portlight Flyscreen - How Is It Attached?

Forgive the stupid question but I am completely stumped ...

Catalina 36 Mk II. I have several small lewmar opening portlights around the side of the deck house with screens for all but have not managed to figure out how the screens are held in the port when the port is open. I have looked for drawings depicting installation but have not found any.
Apparently there are two styles, grey and black. Apparently the black versions are newer and have sliding tabs. My grey units do not have any sliding bits.
I tried wedging them into the rubber hatch seal but they do not fit properly and fall out pretty much without provocation. I am sure I am missing something blatantly obvious but so far I have not figure this one out.
Could someone please enlighten me?
BTW, these are the small opening side ports not the large top deck hatches.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:37   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Lewmar Portlight Flyscreen - How Is It Attached?

When we completely replaced one of our Lewmar portlights it came with the gray screen. You are right they are extremely difficult to install and you are doing it right by inserting the tabs behind the rubber seal, not to mention the crappy fit once they are in place. We bought the new portlight at the same time we ordered screens for the other portlights, these were the black screens -- we were surprised when the screens didn't match. The black screen are so much better, they fit better, install better and stay in better.

I know that probably none of this is very helpful other than to let you know that this wasn't a stupid question and I understand why you were stumped. The only reason we have not replaced the gray screen is that particular portlight is over the nav station and a lot of electronic equipment so we never open it.

Robyn

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:43   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Thanks Robyn, this was actually very helpful even though it didn't give me an answer! I think I will order one of the black screens and see how that goes.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm in the same boat...

Frankly Lewmar should be ashamed they provide such a crappy screen with their portlights. Its absolute garbage. The replacement black ones are ridiculously expensive.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

But well worth it -- for the black screens IMHO. Most of the time here in the Caribbean we can leave things wide open, but when you need screens they are really worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 06:15   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I have yet to find a useful commercial product.

What I've found works best is to buy a roll of fine mesh window screening at a hardware store.

Remove portlight.

Cut screen to fit space between Lewmar gasket and base.

Take a small amount of black 3m 5200 and coat circumference of cut screen 1/8 inch.

Tease into gasket gap with small putty knife.

Then reassemble immediately before 3m dries.

Use a paper between gasket and glass or you won't be able to open if 3m goos out.

This gives you a permanent screen molded into gasket.

I don't know why Lewmar doesn't just sell them like that.

I'm not going fishing through it.

I'm not going to hand contraband through it at a foreign port.

And it's WAY to small to fit any part of my body.

The ONLY purpose of a portlight is to let air, sunshine and bugs, and small birds into my cabin while sleeping.

A function better served with a mesh smaller than the diameter of a gnat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 13:52   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Spray the outside of your screens with pyrethrins, it will keep out the sandflies and the midges, and most gnats.

You can buy no-see-um netting at camping supply places, but it is so fine, it really diminishes air circulation. We used it a few places, but found that the spray would deter the bugs, and went to using the larger screen, for the air.

Ann

Tags
lewmar, screen