Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 12:05   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Laminate Sailcloth Choice

I have been using sails made from Bainbridge CL Diax CFG carbon-technora laminate, with taffeta on both sides, since 2015. Despite more than 20,000 miles of use, they are still in excellent condition and I expect many more years of use out of them. They are by far the best sails I've ever used, and considering how long-lived they are, they are not even more expensive per mile than good polyester woven sails. I'll never buy another woven sail as long as I live.

The only fly in the ointment is that the mainsail doesn't have a UV strip, and the leech of the mainsail got damaged by sun coming in through the slot in the in-mast furling mast. The damage seems to be irreparable, so I'm in the market for a new mainsail :headbang:

My sailmaker tells me that he can't get the Bainbridge cloth anymore. Damn. He offers Dimension Polyant DYS23, Contender ZZ Ultra 445, and Challenge CPXRP CL as alternatives. These are all UHMWPE (dyneema or spectra) reinforced membranes; no carbon in any of them. All with taffeta on both sides; some like the Contender with dyneema taffeta which is a really big plus when you have in-mast furling, as it's lighter, thinner, and more slippery, which makes the furling work better (makes it work like butter, in fact).

We used the Contender cloth when we had new sails made for my friend's Discovery 67 which we sailed across the Atlantic last year. Not enough miles to say whether it holds up as well as the Bainbridge, but it seems less robust to the feel.

Anyone have any views or experiences with any of the named cloths?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:23   #2
MJF

Re: Laminate Sailcloth Choice

Hi Dockhead,
What sailcloth did you end up choosing?
I am working with Doyle for a full set of sails for a new 60ft centreboard aluminium custom build and they proposed ZZ Ultra 445/495 or Stratis 1100 CT.
The latter seems to be similar to your replaced main with carbon and technora fibres?
The cost difference is significant and I am wondering if it is worth it.
The boat will be used in the tropics and high latitudes.
Cheers, Manuel
MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Laminate Sailcloth Choice

Contender ZZ Ultra 445.

But I haven't used it yet so can't tell you whether it's any good.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail