Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 18:15   #1

Halyard and Jib Sheets

Hello All, my first post as I am in need of advice. I have a '91 Hunter 35.5 Sailboat and on a large Texas lake. I have a 130% continuous line jib furler and the Main is a standard hoisted variety (not a Mast Furling system). It's time I replace the Halyard and Jib Sheets. What recommendation do you have for:
1. Type of Line to use
2. Good place to buy the Lines
3. Diameter Line to use
Thanks!
Jhildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 18:32   #2

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Well, it depends, but New England Ropes has a web page that might help get you started: http://www.neropes.com/LineSelector.asp

Btw, they seem to recommend sta-set x, but I've heard it tends to get stiff and doesn't slice well. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment.

hth...
don
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 18:42   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Halyard and Jib Sheets

For halyards, staset-X or similar lines work very well in that they have very low stretch and keep the sail up and tensioned.
- - However, for sheets, you want a line that has "give" or stretch to absorb shock loads when the sail empties and quickly refills. And the line need to be easy on your hands when you work with it. For sheets then I use Regatta Braid which is both soft and very easy on your hands.
- - Size of the line had to do specifically with the boat and what loads the sails will be exerting. But even more so, the rope clutches and brakes and winches pretty much limit the size to one or two choices.
- - Length is a matter of choice but typically I and others make the lines too short. Of course you need enough line to reach from the boom up to the mast head and then back down and then to the cockpit for boats equipped that way. Then you need to add enough extra to allow the line to be taken back to and around a primary winch so that if you get a "over-wrap" on the line you and use another winch to pull the line free. Plus some more so you can "end for end" swap the line after sheaves, etc. have worn one end too much.
- - There is no set formula since each boat's standing rigging is different. With sheets it is about the same process except that you need to allow enough extra line to wrap around the furled headsail.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 18:43   #4

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Also check to see what diameter of line your winches can handle - replacing them gets expensive!

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 19:38   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 20:54   #6

Most recommendations for what type of line to use seem to revolve around how much you race. Since you do not mention it I am going to guess you are not planning on much racing. In that case if you just want a simple answer, I would recommend:

Budget Option:
Halyard: 7/16 New England Ropes Sta Set
Sheets: 7/16 Samson LS

Splurge Option:
Halyard: 3/8 New England Ropes VPC
Sheets: 7/16 New England Ropes Sta Set

As noted above, make sure any line you buy will fit your winches. One generally inexpensive place to buy them without doing a lot of searching is defender.com.

I would recommend checking out this page: Mauri Pro Sailing:: Sailing Selection Guide. It will give you formulas for the correct length and a ton of other useful information. If you are not concerned with rock bottom price, call the Maui Pro folks and discuss your needs with them. They can give you exactly what you need done right the first time.

No matter where you buy you probably want to have them do the splice for you on your halyard. Almost any place will do that for you for an added cost.

You might also contact the Hunter owner's association. You can find out what other people who own the same boat have found to work.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 21:13   #7

NV5: New England Ropes; OK I will check them out.
osirissail: Thanks; all good advice
Jhildy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, sheets