Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 14:47   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
General Cost of 30 Year Re-Rig

Our boat is about 35 years old and has its original rigging. The PO had someone go through it once every two years to see if it was sound obviossly towards the end there their rigger was telling them it was time to re-rig...now I own the boat! I am not really interested in DIYing this project. The stakes are too high, no pun intended. What am I looking in terms of cost for all new standing rigging on a 35 ft boat?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:57   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
re: General Cost of 30 Year Re-Rig

We did our whole boat (32' ketch) ourselves using hayne himod fittings. I also made new chainplates using 316 flatbar. All up the project took 2 weekends and cost just at $2000. That's including new turnbuckles and pins for everything. That's a lot more wire and terminals than a 35' sloop.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:19   #3

Guess at ~$300/stay for the big ones and maybe $100-200 for the little ones if you get a good price. If your turnbuckles are good that helps. Complicate it a bit further with the fact that new metal isn't necessary better than old metal. All things being equal new is better, but you might end up with some garbage metal with cavities in it making it much worse than your "old" gear.

A rigger you trust can tell you what stuff you can keep and what you'll need to replace. All the pins should go. We started with the big ones first (forestay, backstay, uppers), leaving some of the lest important stuff (lowers, whiskers, etc) because it's not really too common for a whisker stay to give and demast a boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 20:26   #4

The guys that we just had to over to have a look at the rig quoted us at $3200 for the whole thing including stepping and unstepping the mast. Does that seem somewhat reasonable?
Old 26-01-2012, 21:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
The guys that we just had to over to have a look at the rig quoted us at $3200 for the whole thing including stepping and unstepping the mast. Does that seem somewhat reasonable?
Whatever you do, don't take it to Pendelton Yacht Yard. That guy Stan is crazy.
Old 26-01-2012, 21:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I spent about $2400 for rerigging our Bristol 35. The mast was down and that cost was not included ($40 to bring it down and put it back up). This cost did include the rigger removing all the rigging, taking it to the shop and all new from pin to pin (including turnbuckles), delivery and rerigging.

The cost also included adding blocks to the round spreaders that had square brackets. The surveyor indicated that there was walk in the spreaders and that should be corrected.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 07:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Whatever you do, don't take it to Pendelton Yacht Yard. That guy Stan is crazy.
Ha ha right?
Old 31-01-2012, 04:19   #8

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I did mine myself with Hi-mods as well. I got mine from Rigging Only and found them to be excellent to deal with. I scored new turnbuckles on E-bay. The hi-mods were easy to put together and my wife didn't seem to mind stays stretched through the house as I assembled. If you don't want to get involved I'd recommend calling the guys at Rigging Only and get a quote for the whole job. Swedged fittings are less money and may be very suitable for summer sailing around Maine. Lot's of boat have them here and I don't see rigs falling over. They last quite well in our shorter season but may not be the way to go for world cruising.
PS. I've no vested interest in R.O. other than as a very satisfied customer based on several transactions.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
I did mine myself with Hi-mods as well. I got mine from Rigging Only and found them to be excellent to deal with. I scored new turnbuckles on E-bay. The hi-mods were easy to put together and my wife didn't seem to mind stays stretched through the house as I assembled. If you don't want to get involved I'd recommend calling the guys at Rigging Only and get a quote for the whole job. Swedged fittings are less money and may be very suitable for summer sailing around Maine. Lot's of boat have them here and I don't see rigs falling over. They last quite well in our shorter season but may not be the way to go for world cruising.
PS. I've no vested interest in R.O. other than as a very satisfied customer based on several transactions.
Swaged fittings are by far the most common type wire termination on boats all around the world. Implying they're not suitable for world cruising is incorrect. You can argue (and everyone does) as to the merits of various fittings, but swages done well have lasted for decades in high stress areas.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:07   #10

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Calm down. I'm not disparaging anything. I was merely referencing the common discussion points:
rate of replacement-riggers often suggest replacement of swaged fittings after 10 years of southern sailing. They last much longer than that summer cruising in Maine or where I sail. Lot's of 20 yr+ rigs around.
Ease of replacement- mechanicals can reused and are very DIY if you are planning a world cruise.
I thought I was quite positive about swaged fittings and only used Hi-Mods because it was the same price over the local rigging shop for swaged and I like to do it myself.
I trust this clarifies my previous post.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:25   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

What is the life expectancy of turnbuckles? Our rigging is 22 years old now, but having been removed and stored for 7 months out of the year, and in fresh water, is still in good shape (per the rigger at our marina). Regardless, I'm replacing the wire rigging, but unsure about if new turnbuckles are needed. They show now cracks, and are in good cosmetic shape.

Typically, when most redo their rigging every 10 years, are the turnbuckles replaced at that time too?
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
re-rig