Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 10:49   #1

Facnor Fast FX+1500 top-down furler up to 80m2 for 78m2 asymmetric?

Hi there

For an asymetric spinnaker (gennaker if you want to call it that) with a deep-downwind cut (wide shoulders) with 78 m2 ,just shy of 840 sq ft......

.....Facnor recommends in the catalogue the FAST FX+1500 top-down furler up to 80 m2 (861 sq ft), so 840 vs 861 sq ft......do these things have a built margin.....should this work fine or am I too close to the hardware limit?

Am I throwing the money away getting the next size up?

Next size up is about 600 Euro/800 bucks more...

Cheers
blue-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:20   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Facnor Fast FX+1500 top-down furler up to 80m2 for 78m2 asymmetric?

If you're asking if an FX+1500 is big enough for a 75sqm sail, then I'd say no. Quite simply because Facnor does Description and technical information - Endless line gennaker furlers - Facnor
It rates that model of furler for a 55sqm spinnaker. Which is a sail 2/3 the size of yours.

But why not ask them directly, along with a rigger (or three) & sailmaker that you trust. Of anyone, they spend the most time out on the water playing with gear, to know what works, & what doesn't. Along with fixing people's goofs, including those from mis-spec'ing gear.

You want your gear to work reliably on those occasions when you get caught with way too much sail up, in a lot more wind than you realized was coming. Otherwise it's pretty common to wind up breaking expensive toys & sails, along with scaring some of your crew.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:13   #3

Cheers.

Keep in mind Facnor Fast FX are for asymmetric spinnakers (deeper downwind cut) and Facnor FX for gennakers (more similar to a genoa).

If you check their website Facnor Fast FX+1500 is rated to 80 sqm /861 sq ft asymmetrics.

The Facnor FX+1500 for code 0 / gennakers is only rated to 55 sqm/ 590 sq ft.

As I´m no expert on this that´s one of the reasons I was asking
blue-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:53   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You're going to need to provide a link to the specific product page. As I'm not seeing what you're talking about on their website, when it comes to the different spec's in terms of sail areas per cut of spinnaker.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, furler