Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 15:36   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Equivalent other brands to MKIV Ocean Unit 3 Jib Furling System?

so we are at a little bit of an impasse right now. Or a difficult moment with the rigging.

it’s quite possible that many or all of the screws will have to be drilled out to take apart the furler to put the new forestay in.

of course we got to this after I already went to the Furler that someone from the forum has so graciously donated parts to me from. So I already have some extensions.

but my Rigger is thinking his time will be very costly if we have to drill out some screws and re-tap holes and what not.

I want to be by his side helping him and doing the stupid stuff like that but I almost lost my business while I was away this whole time. Isolated. Struggling to get things back in order. Before I lose employees. So I have some really high priority things that are keeping me away from the rigging job at the moment.

he is thinking of getting a Harken MKIV Ocean Unit 3 Jib Furling System.

these look really expensive. Does anyone know what other lesser cost furlers would be the same type of rating as that? And fit half inch forestay?

further, does that all sound right for my boat? Those of you with multihulls?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:42   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Equivalent other brands to MKIV Ocean Unit 3 Jib Furling System?

Sounds like the right furler. Selden would be about the same price, Schaeffer even more. The cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Sounds like the right furler. Selden would be about the same price, Schaeffer even more. The cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason.
Thanks for that response. That’s good to know.

So what the Rigger is saying is that the time and effort of taking all the screws out of the existing Furler and putting the new forestay in, putting everything back together properly and all of that will cost the majority of the cost of a brand new Furler. And I would still be left with an old Furler

I do tend to believe him because I just went to get those sections from another Furler to lengthen mine and it took hours of drilling to get only two sections off.

Then there would be re-tapping the holes after all the drilling.

Basically, it’s really difficult to work with these things. The stainless screws become part of the aluminum.

However, these things are around $5000. I was supposed to be down there doing the drilling and tapping myself. But I am having some difficulties and I have to take care of some work stuff. Before I basically go out of business here. It has been neglected too long.

So I’m really caught in a little catch 22 here. Very stressful.

The recession is definitely already here. It is impacting me pretty hard. Money is getting tight and a giant new $5000 expense just came out of nowhere.

Yet, I can’t leave the work stuff for fear of really just destroying my business entirely. So I can’t go down to and drill and tap.

I don’t know. People like to hear the backstory sometimes. That’s what’s going on.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:09   #4

Chotu, you do not have a dilemma, you simply have a choice: 1) try to save $5k on rigging vs 2) losing real income if not your entire business (while being penny wise and pound foolish; hanging on to "old news" that's been overtaken by more recent events.

If you save the $5K on the rigging but your business goes belly up, is that a good choice?

If you spend more on a new furler which will undoubtedly last longer than a refurbished old one but your successful business can and will pay it off, is that a good choice?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Chotu, you do not have a dilemma, you simply have a choice: 1) try to save $5k on rigging vs 2) losing real income if not your entire business (while being penny wise and pound foolish; hanging on to "old news" that's been overtaken by more recent events.

If you save the $5K on the rigging but your business goes belly up, is that a good choice?

If you spend more on a new furler which will undoubtedly last longer than a refurbished old one but your successful business can and will pay it off, is that a good choice?

Agreed. I’m just kind of maybe complaining a little bit or painting a scenario so that my line of thinking makes a little bit of sense.

But really I actually do have a question here.

Does anyone think I should try to keep the old unit and pay by the hour to get that refurbished? Keeping in mind that probably every screw Hass to be drilled out and re-tapped? And the motion of the drum itself is currently an unknown?

Or should I just get to work up here extra hard and try to make some additional money to make up for the lost $5000 and not look back?
Old 03-05-2023, 09:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

1)) Does anyone think I should try to keep the old unit and pay by the hour to get that refurbished? Keeping in mind that probably every screw Hass to be drilled out and re-tapped? And the motion of the drum itself is currently an unknown?

2)) Or should I just get to work up here and try to make some money to make up for the lost $5000?

2)) No doubt about it.

Too many question marks about the integrity of the 1)) even if all the work on it is done perfectly.

It's not a "lost" $5K, it could well be good money after bad.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
2)) No doubt about it.

Too many question marks about the integrity of the 1)) even if all the work on it is done perfectly.

It's not a "lost" $5K, it could well be good money after bad.

Good advice.

Done.

I guess I will have a snappy new Harken roller furler

I kind of decided along the same lines as you right after posting. I told him to go ahead with it.

Thanks for the input. I am in complete agreement. As much as it hurts my stomach and makes me want to throw up adding $5000 onto the already ridiculous price, I don’t have a choice.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:36   #8

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Forget the furler for now.
Forestay, hank on sail.

As soon as it looks like a boat, sell it as quickly as you can for whatever you can.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Forget the furler for now.
Forestay, hank on sail.

As soon as it looks like a boat, sell it as quickly as you can for whatever you can.
What?

Why the hell would I sell my boat? You probably be the first guy in line with your $5. Right?

You wish
Old 03-05-2023, 10:01   #10

Boat: Privilege 435

I had the same choice 2 years ago when we got new rigging. Rigger said it would be way more money for the labor to get the screws out of the track.

Problem was, I really liked our furler. It’s an older style but I’ve never had a single problems with it.

I also got the sense that every rigger gives the same line to up sell a brand new furler…

My father in law who owns a body shop said let’s at least try to get them off first.

I tried an impact driver and pb blaster with no luck.

He came with a pipe wrench and a really large screw driver. Put the screw driver to the screw, and the pipe wrench around the handle perpendicular. Put his weight on the screw driver and used the pipe wrench as a handle to turn it.

Got all but 2 out, and were were able to get those out using back out bits and this liquid grit stuff that gives more grip to a stripped out screw.

After we got going with the pipe wrench, took maybe 2 hours. And those screws were in there for 15 years.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
I had the same choice 2 years ago when we got new rigging. Rigger said it would be way more money for the labor to get the screws out of the track.

Problem was, I really liked our furler. It’s an older style but I’ve never had a single problems with it.

I also got the sense that every rigger gives the same line to up sell a brand new furler…

My father in law who owns a body shop said let’s at least try to get them off first.

He came with a pipe wrench and a really large screw driver. Put the screw driver to the screw, and the pipe wrench around the handle perpendicular. Put his weight on the screw driver and used the pipe wrench as a handle to turn it.

Got all but 2 out, and were were able to get those out using back out bits and this liquid grit stuff that gives more grip to a stripped out screw.

After we got going with the pipe wrench, took maybe 2 hours. And those screws were in there for 15 years.
I feel like you are right about that upsell. And that’s why I was kicking and dragging my feet on that.

It’s interesting. The problem I have getting the screws out at least on the sister unit, is that the screwheads strip. They are only Phillips screws. They are not good ones.

So I was able to get enough torque on it, but the screw could not hold up even when I held the bit 100% into the hole. I even bent a bit. It twisted.

I feel like if I was on site I would be able to do this. I would even just drill them out. But unfortunately I can’t be on site at the very moment.

And this is holding up the whole thing. He needs to get the forestay ready so that he can raise this mast.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:18   #12

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:

I have used my impact driver to get them started.
Sometimes a litlle heat with a MAPP torch.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Impa...er-Set/208EPIT
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:18   #13

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
I feel like you are right about that upsell. And that’s why I was kicking and dragging my feet on that.

It’s interesting. The problem I have getting the screws out at least on the sister unit, is that the screwheads strip. They are only Phillips screws. They are not good ones.

So I was able to get enough torque on it, but the screw could not hold up even when I held the bit 100% into the hole. I even bent a bit. It twisted.

I feel like if I was on site I would be able to do this. I would even just drill them out. But unfortunately I can’t be on site at the very moment.

And this is holding up the whole thing. He needs to get the forestay ready so that he can raise this mast.
I was having the same problem, but the wrench trick allowed a lot more down force as well as more torque.

But as you said if you can’t be there, can’t try. Got any friends over there to give it a try for you? Or even a handyman in the area? Seems like a reach, but just throwing it out there.

The liquid grit also helped a lot.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:21   #14

Quote:
I was having the same problem, but the wrench trick allowed a lot more down force as well as more torque.

But as you said if you can’t be there, can’t try. Got any friends over there to give it a try for you? Or even a handyman in the area? Seems like a reach, but just throwing it out there.

The liquid grit also helped a lot.
See? I feel like it could be done. I definitely agree with you.

I don’t know anybody where the boat is now. I moved it 1000 miles away from where it was before.

Now it’s in the Carolinas being worked on by former Gunboat employees.

General question for anyone: how long should it take to rig a boat? One like mine?
Old 03-05-2023, 10:27   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
so we are at a little bit of an impasse right now. Or a difficult moment with the rigging.

it’s quite possible that many or all of the screws will have to be drilled out to take apart the furler to put the new forestay in.

of course we got to this after I already went to the Furler that someone from the forum has so graciously donated parts to me from. So I already have some extensions.

but my Rigger is thinking his time will be very costly if we have to drill out some screws and re-tap holes and what not.

I want to be by his side helping him and doing the stupid stuff like that but I almost lost my business while I was away this whole time. Isolated. Struggling to get things back in order. Before I lose employees. So I have some really high priority things that are keeping me away from the rigging job at the moment.

he is thinking of getting a Harken MKIV Ocean Unit 3 Jib Furling System.

these look really expensive. Does anyone know what other lesser cost furlers would be the same type of rating as that? And fit half inch forestay?

further, does that all sound right for my boat? Those of you with multihulls?

Why do you have to take apart the furler to put a new forestay in? I replaced mine in the winter of 2021/22 without taking anything apart. Just cut the top fiting of the foretay off and peel off the outer layer of strands for a couple of inches and heat shrink some thin rope to it. Pull the old forestay down out of the furler from the drum end. assemble a new forestay that is a couple of feet too long, again peel back the outer layer at the end and heatshrink the rope you just pulled through the furler onto the end. Have one person at the top of the furler gently pull the tracer line while you push the forestay back into the furling assembly. once it comes out the end you should have a couple of extra feet that you can work with to cut to the correct final length and install a Sta-lock at the top. It's maybe an hours worth of work if you have everything ready.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, jib