Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 17:24   #1

Boat: NewPort 33, Lucille
Converting a sail to work on a furler.

I'm installing a furler on my 33 NewPort and would like to get some input on if and how to convert my current head-sails for the furler? I get mixed information from my sailmaker as he is always trying to get me to buy new sails :-)

I have a good working job that goes up my current rig via slides. I'd like to take this sail and put it on a furler. This sail would be used mostly for going upwind in a good breeze and would not need to be reefed. Can anyone give me the pros and cons to going this route, and any ideas on costs or the complexity of converting this jib for roller furling? Any input would be great!

Thanks!

-Nate
eldiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiente
... I get mixed information from my sailmaker as he is always trying to get me to buy new sails -Nate
It should cost exactly what your sailmaker (or his replacement) quotes.
If your current sailmaker can’t, or won’t discuss the modifications in detail, you’ll need to find an alternate loft who will.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:01   #3

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Should be no problem .....

The details are easy ...remove the piston hanks, cut off the luff boltrope, sew on a new 'continuous support tape' that fits exactly to the foil groove of your new furler. This is a farily easy and straightforward job.

Are you sure your sailmaker isnt objecting to do this because this sail is 'worn out or destroyed by UV exposure, etc.' .... and simply not worth the effort? Springtime is NOT a time to expect any work from a sailmaker as most folks are expecting to have all the work they gave the sailmaker back in October, etc. to be finished by now. Sailmakers are ALWAYS OVERLOADED with work in Springtime and their long-term and repeat racing customers will always take preference.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:13   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Don't forget the luff length. If the sail is full hoist, the costs will go up quickly to shorten the sail to fit on the furler.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28   #5

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
It's no problem to get an old sail converted to furling. Some don't want to do it because they want you to buy a new one or don't have time. A sail custom made for furling originally will have better shape. All You need is the hanks to be removed and a foil added. The UV protection is optional but recomended. You can use UV Dacron or Sunbrella. It should cost in the neighborhood of 400 to 600 for the work. Like Gord said, take it somewhere that will do it and find out.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:18   #6

Boat: NewPort 33, Lucille
Very good information! I still have plans to get a new sail made for the furler but I just can't afford it this Spring.
eldiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 15:31   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
I agree with the ease of changing a sail to work on a furler. It is not that difficult but ask yourself this Is it worth spending $600 to $800 for one year or even a few years of use out of a sail. I'm guessing that a new sail for your boat would run $1200 and up and have a life span of 10 to 20 years of occasional use.

An option that I have seen but not had any experience with is to buy a 6" to 1' piece of luff tape for each hank on your sail and put a grommet in each piece. The attach the hanks to the luff tape and use the luff tape to pull the sail up the track. It might not be the best option but it would be a heck of a lot cheaper and probably something you could do yourself.

cheap advice from a cheap scotsman.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote