Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2008, 11:06   #1

Boat: 1970 Newport 30
Boom came crashing down while sailing!! Need help please!

Hello everyone,

Absolute novice sailor here, owned my 1970 Newport 30 for only a few months but have already done tons of work on it and I couldn't be happier with it.
However, this past Sunday I was out sailing when the boom came crashing down! The line that holds it up (topping lift?) broke. No one was hurt and we managed to control the boat and motor back in safely. I actually have a new line ready to go that would work perfectly, but I have no idea on how to run it through the mast. I have done plenty of deck work (when I bought the boat half the deck was rotted and needed replacing) but never any rigging. Any one with experience and or advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get back out on the water many more times before summer is through.

Thanks to all,
Jesse
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:47   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I assume that the topping lift used to run through the mast.

The top of the mast will normally have two sheeves in it, one for the main halyard, and one for the topping lift. when running these lines through the mast when the mast is horizontal does risk tangling these lines. The best way is to make up a light line with a couple of weights on it. get to the top of the mast and drop it over the sheeve that should hold the topping lift. feed the line so that the weights take it down the inside of the mast and fish it out of the mast at t he appropriate point.

different ways of getting to top of mast:

bosuns chair using the main halyard (but make sure it is in much better condition than the topping lift)

Cherry picker from the jetty

move the boat so that the mast is accessable from a bridge over the water.
Old 26-08-2008, 12:07   #3

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
When I'm not sailing I attach the main halyard to the back of the boom as a safety, learned that from when my dad had a Nonsuch...wouldn't want one of those big wishbones crashing down over my head!
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 14:10   #4

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome to the board Jesse; it's good to see another Newport owner here. Up the mast is where ya gotta be alright--use a safety line along with the halyard. So were you sailing or motoring? I loosen my topping lift while sailing to let the sail hold the boom. . . . Then again, I'm new to larger boats and I may be screwing up (although I don't think so). I hope someone will give me feedback (thanks in advance) and welcome again Jesse.
Old 26-08-2008, 14:43   #5

or if you really don't want to go aloft buy a rigid boom vang. Holds the boom up as well as down. Garhauer Marine Hardware -7546896

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:02   #6

I put a BOOMKICKER on my boat (34' North Sea) and I am quite satisfied with it. Mind you I am retired and don't cruise in heavy weather simply because I don't have to.
Here is a link to a BoomKicker site: Boomkicker . You may find a better price on the web if you search a bit.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 02:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A simple topping lift could consist of a line fixed to the top of the mast, running down to a turning block at the end of the boom, then forward to a cleat on the boom.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 07:11   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You can run a line from the backstay to the topping lift ring if you just want to hold the boom off the deck.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:04   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jesse,
I assume that you weren't sailing when the boom came down otherwise the sail would have kept the boom up to its proper level.
Good luck on the project. Its time for a trip up the mast. I use a bosun chair securely hooked to the main halyard and a trusted friend on the anchor windlass or a halyard winch.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote