Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 18:48   #76

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Acera vs Dyneema & Jordan Series Drogues

The JSD will never exert shock loads regardless of the type of line used. There has even been speculation that nylon line has too much stretch and could allow a boat to be accelerated into a trough before applying its slowing force.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 19:54   #77

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The JSD will never exert shock loads regardless of the type of line used. There has even been speculation that nylon line has too much stretch and could allow a boat to be accelerated into a trough before applying its slowing force.
Yes, speculation (in earlier posts above) on shock loads if Dyneema is used instead of nylon are pure speculation - perhaps based around Jordan's comments on single drogues, not series drogues. This has been thrashed to death in other threads on JSD (where I made the same mistake but was soon corrected ). See also post #62 above, from someone with vast experience on this subject.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 15:30   #78

Boat: Koopmans 43ph

Hello SWL,
I stumbled accross your deep and nice work on use and solutions with high tech ropes. Do you have a blog where you also discuss and post your work in addition to on this forum? If yes, would you care to share the url? If you do not blog, is there a better place to dig into your solutions and methods?

Look forward to your response when time and opportunity allow.

Greetings,
Petter ;-)

oslo / Norway @sea in a dutch koopmans alu pilot house vessel
sy_iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 16:09   #79

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Yes, speculation (in earlier posts above) on shock loads if Dyneema is used instead of nylon are pure speculation - perhaps based around Jordan's comments on single drogues, not series drogues. This has been thrashed to death in other threads on JSD (where I made the same mistake but was soon corrected ). See also post #62 above, from someone with vast experience on this subject.
Experience isn't a substitute for an engineering degree and doesn't alter the physics. Anyone, with experience or not, that tells you a JSD made with dyneema will cause shock loads needs to be taken with a small grain of salt and that's being nice. The idea that it can cause shock loads fails on so many levels it's not even worth considering past a cursory look.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_iris View Post
Hello SWL,
I stumbled accross your deep and nice work on use and solutions with high tech ropes. Do you have a blog where you also discuss and post your work in addition to on this forum? If yes, would you care to share the url? If you do not blog, is there a better place to dig into your solutions and methods?

Look forward to your response when time and opportunity allow.

Greetings,
Petter ;-)

oslo / Norway @sea in a dutch koopmans alu pilot house vessel
Hi Petter
Thanks for the comments. I enjoy the challenge of ropework tremendously.

Work with high modulus fibres is progressing very quickly and I find the best source of information are sailing and climbing forums. In addition, forum discussions allow rapid exchange of ideas, and as a result rapid advancement is possible. I have also found the website L-36.com useful. Books and even magazine articles are simply not keeping up.

I don't have any blogs or Facebook etc. I tend to be a fairly private person .
CF is the main place I have posted (Sailing Anarchy also minimally).

The easiest way of finding any ropework related threads I have started is to go to my user profile and select "Statistics" then "Threads started".

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 02:21   #81

Boat: Outremer 55L

Hey SWL, it's been a while with this thread. I'm just finishing up our Acera Amundsen JSD and am wondering about how much weight to put on the end? The double braid polyester JSD in our size should have 18kg weight, so does an extra 4-6 kg to compensate for the lighter weight and flotation of the Acera sound about right? Or should there be more?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 09:46   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Hey SWL, it's been a while with this thread. I'm just finishing up our Acera Amundsen JSD and am wondering about how much weight to put on the end? The double braid polyester JSD in our size should have 18kg weight, so does an extra 4-6 kg to compensate for the lighter weight and flotation of the Acera sound about right? Or should there be more?
Hi Fxykty

I have had a mini break from CF, but have still popped in occasionally to read threads. I know it is frustrating puzzling over things with little feedback from others, so your query has coaxed me out of “retirement” .

Self enforced lockdown at anchor in Scotland has been a good opportunity to finish attaching those blasted cones. If I was prone so swearing I would use a juicier adjective . The task is crude and tedious. I have felt at a loss wondering how much precision is required, hampering enthusiasm. I guess not much, as there has been little discussion regarding this.

You are a little ahead of me, I have 30 to go. I am determined to do 10 over the next three days and polish off this task. The rest of the drogue is completed. It has been an embarrassingly long time since I purchased the cones from Ocean Brake (2.5 years). Part of the delay with construction was the lack of very detailed instructions.

I am using 22kg of chain (the amount recommended for 164 cones) to use as a weight and I will attach this with a soft shackle just before deployment. As an added advantage the chain can be used on our kedge anchor.

I have not added any weight to compensate for the flotation of the Acera. Given that there have been comments made by a reputable cruiser that no weight at all is required, I am not tinkering with increasing weight.

Cheers,
SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema