Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 17:45   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: 1979 36' C&C-topping lift, Vang or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you don't have a topping lift, when you release the halyard to the preset, the boom goes down on the dodger or someone's head!
Not so if you have a rigid vang of some sort (as we do). That device keeps the boom up to its normal storage height. BUT, it does not keep it up to the angle that it will require when reefed, usually a bit higher than when sailing without a reef... and that is what I was wanting a topping lift for.

We have gotten along without one for 13 years and lots of miles in this boat, but every time I am cranking away on the outhaul winch, trying to bring th boom up to the clew of the reef point, i wish there was one!

Jim
Old 03-04-2016, 18:10   #17

Boat: C & C 36
Smile Re: 1979 36' C&C-topping lift, Vang or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
If its only when youre at anchor/moored that its an issue, use the main halyard to raise the boom. Problem solved.

(I will assume you arent one of those sailors who leaves the halyard on the head of the sail to go clunk clunk clunk all night.)
OZ
We most definitely do not like the clunk clunk clunk all night Know exactly what you are referring to!

Thanks for your input
One Chance
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 18:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not so if you have a rigid vang of some sort (as we do). That device keeps the boom up to its normal storage height. BUT, it does not keep it up to the angle that it will require when reefed, usually a bit higher than when sailing without a reef... and that is what I was wanting a topping lift for.

We have gotten along without one for 13 years and lots of miles in this boat, but every time I am cranking away on the outhaul winch, trying to bring th boom up to the clew of the reef point, i wish there was one!

Jim
Well of course not. But that's not what Pete O Static mentioned.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 19:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Chance View Post
Robert
Thanks for your advice, we are currently planning to reinstall a topping lift to supplement our hydraulic vang. Good to hear from someone who has sailed a 36.
We looked at too many boats for over a year before we brought ours & are very satisfied. What a great boat! Have not sailed her on any extended open water voyages yet but plan to this year. How did yours handle on open water during the trip to Hawaii?

One Chance
It handled just fine, trip to Hawaii was nice and heading home we ran into a couple of gales but the boat did just fine. Little short on fuel and water but I was younger and a little bit more of a camper than I am now. I raced it for a few years before leaving and we did ok in the beer can races. Pretty hard to beat for a decent all rounder, especially those days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 20:27   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

My old C&C had a very simple topping lift, it was wire from the masthead to about 3 feet from the boom end, with a block attached to the end of the wire. A line attached to the end of the boom with a small cleat at the starboard side of the boom for the loose end. Made it very easy to release or tighten the topping lift. Simple, cheap and effective. I could also use it in light air by adjusting the boom height and vang tension to put a little more body in the mainsail. No bouncing, easy to release and tension, pretty darn foolproof.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift