Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 17:14   #91

Re: Water maker comps

I've never seen a discussion on the wear and tear to the battery bank if using solar (or wind or diesel) to charge the batteries to run a 12v watermaker. Doesn't this create charge/discharge use-cycles on the batteries and possibly reduce their working life? If you consider using up your $$$$ batteries, I can see this argument shifting to the 110v watermaker and use while running your engine. Is this a consideration????
Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:25   #92
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I discussed it above, running a high gal/hr watermaker while also burning dino juice

but independently of AC vs DC
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:55   #93

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I've never seen a discussion on the wear and tear to the battery bank if using solar (or wind or diesel) to charge the batteries to run a 12v watermaker. Doesn't this create charge/discharge use-cycles on the batteries and possibly reduce their working life? If you consider using up your $$$$ batteries, I can see this argument shifting to the 110v watermaker and use while running your engine. Is this a consideration????
Thanks
Don
Lots of variables dependent upon specifics of configuration, but if the system is properly balanced then solar can keep up w an efficient 12V WM at least. In my case for example, with 375W of solar, I can get 15-20 amps (max 30) charge output during good sun (which is often here in the W Carib). That easily keeps up w the Spectra. Normally its only run a couple of hours a few days per week...so way more total amps from solar than used by the WM over a week. Since solar is putting the energy drawn right back in, there is no battery cycling...or at least only very shallow cycles.

Also, main engines dont normally directly produce AC power. Their alternator would charge the batteries which powers the inverter to make AC. So...same sort of passthru loading on batteries as solar scenario. Other option is use a genset to make AC.

I dont know what sort of affect that passthru load has on a battery, but certainly much less than deep discharge cycles. Given that I got about a dozen years out of my last batter bank, I think I can say the affect on may batteries was not significant.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 18:42   #94

Boat: Olson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Unfortunately terms like "LOUD" are very subjective. It would be interesting to quantify "LOUD"...for example how many db at 1 meter...hey Tellie, do you know?

The Clark pump does make sounds, but Ive never considered then loud. Mine is mounted in the port engine room and if I stand in the aft half of that hull I can hear it, but just barely. Mounting location plays a role in how "loud".
I agree with the opinion that Spectra pumps are too loud, as they are as loud as a diesel. So if running the engine, no big increase in racket. But way too loud to run for hours and hours. I’d still own a powerboat if I wanted that level of noise.

I agree that mounting the pump in another hull far away would help.

I have put up with the racket, but no longer.

I removed my water maker, and am waiting for new technology.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 19:09   #95

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I have 400w of solar in process, 2KW inverter, 450A in 4 - 6v Trojans and the Honda generator. I’m hoping to be able to use a combination of the solar/batteries/inverter and then the generator as needed when we’re using it for something else.
We have an almost identical configuration with an AC watermaker that I put together myself that is very similar to the Cruise RO 30 gph model. Our preferred method for watermaking is to wait until the batteries have a full charge, then to run the watermaker using the inverter while motoring. It's kind of like getting water for free. There is no extra fuel usage and you can't hear the watermaker over the engine. We have a 3000 watt inverter, but your 2000 watt inverter should do the trick. If it's time to make water and we don't need to motor we just fire up the Honda. Not only does it make water, but if I turn on the 40 amp battery charger it can give us a charge as well.

Give Rich a call, he will be happy to talk to you about your needs. I think you will be ery happy with the CRO 30 gph watermaker.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 20:39   #96

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Dessalator provides them at the same price:
DessalatorÂ* l Â*Developement of unique systems for the desalination of sea waterÂ* l Â*Price listÂ*

I would not understand why DC would be more expensive than AC. the DC motor is somewhat the same as those of my windlass & winches, cost is about 500 EUR. My WM costs close to 10000 EUR ...
They are extremely expensive watermakers. Mine was approx 7k aud, which at the time was approx 5k usd.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:35   #97
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Are there 110L/hr 12v WM for less than $10k?
Watermakers / Desalinators for Yachts - 12 V DC / 24 V DC
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 02:36   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
I agree with the opinion that Spectra pumps are too loud, as they are as loud as a diesel. So if running the engine, no big increase in racket. But way too loud to run for hours and hours. I’d still own a powerboat if I wanted that level of noise.

I agree that mounting the pump in another hull far away would help.

I have put up with the racket, but no longer.

Loud as a running diesel...not even close. We really need to stick a db meter on this for some objective info.
Old 25-01-2018, 02:44   #99
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Loud as a running diesel...not even close. We really need to stick a db meter on this for some objective info.
That would be useful information to put in the spec sheet considering the price they're asking. I was really disappointed when I first started my WM. Probably not so far from a modern diesel at idle or a properly encapsulated genset. Different kind of noise though.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:01   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Unfortunately terms like "LOUD" are very subjective...
Indeed.

Often quoted levels:
Ordinary Conversation is about 60 dBA SPL (sound pressure level).
A vacuum cleaner at 10 ft. is about 70 dBA SPL (twice as loud).
A night club with band playing is about 110 dBA SPL (32 times as loud).
The threshold of pain is about 120 - 140 dBA SPL (64 times as loud as conversation, twice as loud as night club).

Generally, 70 dBa is considered “irritating”, 80 dBa is “unpleasant”, 85dBa “is “loud”, and 95 - 100dBa is “VERY loud/unpleasant”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:19   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.

Often quoted levels:
Ordinary Conversation is about 60 dBA SPL (sound pressure level).
A vacuum cleaner at 10 ft. is about 70 dBA SPL (twice as loud).
A night club with band playing is about 110 dBA SPL (32 times as loud).
The threshold of pain is about 120 - 140 dBA SPL (64 times as loud as conversation, twice as loud as night club).

Generally, 70 dBa is considered “irritating”, 80 dBa is “unpleasant”, 85dBa “is “loud”, and 95 - 100dBa is “VERY loud/unpleasant”.
I dunno, 60db can be pretty irritating...depending on who's involved in the conversation! [emoji16]
Old 25-01-2018, 07:39   #102

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Well I would prefer native DC, and am only (besides service, price, non)-proprietary parts) concerned about

high gph

not at all about amps, even 200+ would be OK

since I plan to run it only when generating off dino juice.

Suggestions?
If by native dc you mean 12v, then I believe your gph will be limited to about 30gph. The reason being, the largest 12vdc motor is 1hp. You may find a larger 12vdc motor but it will be a challenge to get it to drive a triplex pump at the required rpm.

Now you could get more permeate by adding an additional pressure vessel but at 800 to 900 psi your feed water flow rate will drop way below what Dow recommends and TDS will suffer.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:48   #103
cruiser

Quote:
I dont know what sort of affect that passthru load has on a battery
There is none, the load doesn't pass through at all.

The charge source, the bank and the consumer loads are all on one circuit.

As long as the current is enough to feed the load's demand, nothing is drawn from the batt.

Obviously if the bank is depleted, the amps drawn by the load are reducing the current available for charging.

This is true for solar, genny, alts, DC watermakers or an AC one running off an inverter.
Old 25-01-2018, 09:49   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
I agree with the opinion that Spectra pumps are too loud

Why not just get a high gph unit, and only run it when you a burning dino juice anyway?
Old 25-01-2018, 09:56   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Our preferred method for watermaking is to wait until the batteries have a full charge, then to run the watermaker using the inverter while motoring. It's kind of like getting water for free. There is no extra fuel usage
Sounds like a good setup

Why do you wait for the bank to be full?

Note that a HO alt actually putting out lots of amps *does* reduce power to the engine and/or increase fuel consumption.

Not saying it is always a significant issue with a big engine, but I believe the conversion is at least 2 HP per kW.

Tags
water