Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2010, 14:37   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
No; I said that your stated experience is not typical, not usual, not normal, or abnormal; but I really meant wrong.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 00:50   #32

Gord, I offered an experience, not an opinion. I don't think an experience can be 'wrong'. At worst it can be unique. What my experience was driving at is:

1. The negative opinions that most people hold about diesel/kerosene stoves is based on hearsay and chinese whispers rather than first hand experience.
2. D/K stoves are far safer on board than LPG ones
3. D/K fuel is much easier to get hold of in far-flung places and more convenient than carrying 10 different LPG fittings
4. Objections on the basis of fumes being unpleasant-especially when going downwind are just as valid when raised with respect to diesel engines, but we all choose diesel engines because: the fuel is easy to get hold of, the engines are efficient and the fuel is safer to store and use than LPG or gasoline - these are all the arguments I make for the D/K stoves!

So now I've offered you my opinions rather than my experience, you can tell me I'm wrong, but please be specific.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 01:15   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Well its time for me to chime in here with my experience of kero stoves. I have had kero, lpg and metho. I will only use kero these days because it is simple, safe and hot.

Yes, there is a learning curve with lighting them but once the techique is mastered, it is not a problem and yes it does have some smell but I don't really mind it.

Just my experience.....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 01:20   #34

No no, your experience is wrong!
Old 29-04-2010, 01:26   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Thanks, I now know better........
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 03:50   #36
CLOD

Boat: none
well the thread had points, when it comes down to it it sounds like it depends on whether and how parniod you are when turning off your stove

for me I think I am going to stop burning the gas out of the lines, just going to turn off the stove knob then soleniod
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 05:20   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
1. The negative opinions that most people hold about diesel/kerosene stoves is based on hearsay and chinese whispers rather than first hand experience.

- Most people but some of us have first hand experience.

2. D/K stoves are far safer on board than LPG ones

- Well they do not have the worry of fumes accumulating in the bilge and blowing up your boat, but I see that as easy to manage with LPG as long as you are aware of the problem.

3. D/K fuel is much easier to get hold of in far-flung places and more convenient than carrying 10 different LPG fittings.

- Yes but I never had a problem getting LPG. Always had two tanks and one would last a couple of months minimum giving me plenty of time to sort out refilling the spare.

4. Objections on the basis of fumes being unpleasant-especially when going downwind are just as valid when raised with respect to diesel engines, but we all choose diesel engines because: the fuel is easy to get hold of, the engines are efficient and the fuel is safer to store and use than LPG or gasoline - these are all the arguments I make for the D/K stoves!

- If there is enough wind to blow diesel exhaust fumes into the boat I hoist the drifter and turn off the engine.

Bottom line, diesel may work for you but very many people do not like diesel fumes whether engine or stove originated. Seems like it's more a matter of personal preference than a black or white, right or wrong answer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 05:38   #38

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I once met a Mercedes engineer who claimed a properly adjusted and fueled diesel engine produced no odor. I told him to let me know when they found one.

Diesel stinks.
I do not know about the current crop of Mercedes Diesels, however I am on my 3rd Volkswagen Diesel Jetta starting in 2003. Fabulous vehicles and I suppose if you stick your nose next to the tailpipe or run it in your garage with the door down you might detect some stink. But as you fill up with 10 gallons after driving 400+ miles, much of it around town, it really stinks good. I drove across Tennessee west to east, cruise at 70mph and clocked 50mpg for that trip, automatic transmisson. Also they are fast, very peppy all through the rpm range, and in far West Texas Big Bend country I saw 130 mph, rock solid with rpm left over when the govenor kicked in.

I have no reason to believe the modern, new, computer controlled Mercedes are any different aside from cost than VW.

Now as for LP on the stove....only way to go. My bilge is ventilated and I just junked an electric/alcohol. When I return I intend to wire up a solenoid system with the tank on the stern of the fly bridge, 25 feet of hose from the stove. I will pressure test all joints with soap and bubble solution, and do it regularlly.
Old 29-04-2010, 05:46   #39

Just because you have personally never had a problem getting LPG, doesn't mean that the supply-chain is perfect by any means. I guess if you're going to stick to the American continent, you'll probably never have a problem sourcing LPG. Even within Europe there are several different fitting standards and regulators and mixes of Propane/Butane available.

We left the Galapagos with 2 full tanks of LPG. By the time we got to Nuku-Hiva we needed more and got the last tank on the island. The whole of the island cooked on LPG and there was none to be had anywhere for about 3 weeks.

Some American friends of ours couldn't get their bottle filled but could get another bottle - which didn't fit their regulator. I have memories of jury-rigging various pipes and adaptors and inverting bottles from trees to try and transfer the LPG to their bottle. Then they had all the issues associated with the different Butane/Propane mix that their jets couldn't handle etc...

Of course it's a personal preference rather than a black/white right/wrong answer. My point is that most people make the choice based on misinformation, and without considering most, if not all the things I mentioned.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:41   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
About Kero’ Stoves from Mei & James Baldwin, expert advocates:
Atom Voyages | Atom Stove - kerosene pressure stove for sailboats - Marine stove, replacement spares, preheat wick - James Baldwin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AtomGalley.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	15728  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 11:51   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, propane stinks because there is a odor tag added to it so you can detect leaks. Spill a little propane, and it either goes away or blows up. Spill a little diesel or kero, and it can take weeks to get the stink out of cloth or unfinished wood or crevices.

Part of the beauty of gas systems (LPG, CNG, butane, whatever) is that they are designed so that when properly operating, there is never ANY loose gas to smell. Perhaps for a split second before ignition--but often not even then.

And never a spill to clean up when fueling.

There's a reason why even Coleman and Aladdin no longer dominate the household lighting markets. :-)

Yes, diesel and "oil" are reliable and easy to find. So is straw, but I'm not sleeping on a mattress filled with it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 13:40   #42

Quote:
Yes, diesel and "oil" are reliable and easy to find. So is straw, but I'm not sleeping on a mattress filled with it.
What does your engine run on?
Old 29-04-2010, 13:53   #43

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
We dont have an electric solenoid in our system ,800mm from our stove we have a manual shut off valve and above this is a red plastic plate which reads ''shut off gas after use'' which we do every time and as a fail safe we have a gas detector in our starboard float which is below our stove and in the lowest point in the bilge
andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 15:15   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What does your engine run on? "
Well, the main engines are solar powered by atmospheric thermal effects: Wind.

The auxiliary engine runs on something I prefer not to use. Diesel. Propane being a bit costly and bulky when you need that much of it, and the diesel stink and noise being something I'll put up with when and if I have to.

Bit for cooking? I can spare that much space for a cleaner fuel. I'm one of those rude colonial boors who doesn't bake fresh for elevenses OR high tea, and sometimes doesn't even make hot lunch!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 16:09   #45

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50
We use Propane and always turn off the Solenoid first wait for the flame to go out, then turn off the stove then then tank. I looked for a diesel stove before we settled on propane, but couldn't find one that we felt would not heat up the entire pilot house. Diesel would be safer, and easier even for us, but when I asked around, we couldn't find a good recommendation for a diesel stove to use in the tropics. I am open to suggestions...
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote