Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2023, 11:19   #1

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Spectra watermaker questions

I have a Spectra Ventura 150 that came with the boat two years ago but was nonfunctional. The caps on the membrane were blown off I presume from freezing in Maine where I got it.

I repaired this and got it working with a lot of help from T.J. down in Florida (business name I can't remember). Put in a new membrane, many new fittings and had to turn off a sensor that keeps telling me to replace the prefilters but then we got it working.

My memory is that it put our 6.5+ gal/h which was great. Low PPM and I was happy. We did a winter in the Bahamas and put the boat away for a year with pink antifreeze.

Now I've recommissioned it, in the process Iv'e had to turn off the airlock sensor. It runs but...

The output is LOW... 4.2-4.6 gal/h
The salinity is HIGH... fluctuates in the 500s

I fear the membrane might be damaged and I'm not sure how to test/rule that out.

The pressure reading on the panel ranges from 53 to 58psi.

The gauge on the accumulator tank reads zero so that's a concern. Either the gauge is broken or the tank has depressurized. When testing the gal/h at the tank I can see the pulsing that indicates perhaps the accumulator tank pressure is low.

I'm on anchor in the Bahamas with the family now but I can get to a town, pull that tank, find a bike pump and try to re-pressurize it. I'm not sure how the presence of pressure in the accumulator tank will effect output and quality but it can't hurt, right?

After that, I don't know what to do. The system is obviously a jalopy held together with string and bubble gum but I'd really like to get it working without sending off to the states for a box of (expensive) parts.

Any thoughts, ideas, insights would be hugely appreciated...
SVSeaHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker